CEL After Bedliner Sprayed?

2017 Sierra 5.3 4x4 crew cab short bed.  So I had a Rhino liner sprayed in my truck yesterday, and when I picked up the truck the CEL was on for the first time since I’ve owned it.  It was pouring rain and I was in a hurry to get back to work, so I figured I’d deal with it later, and maybe they unplugged something or let the battery drain.  

Light stayed on back to work and again on the way home.  Checked the codes and it had a p0449 and another one for throttle position, but drove fine.  Reset the codes and drove to work today with no CEL.  Remote start wouldn’t work when I left work, and sure enough it was back, but just the p0449 this time.

I checked all of the hoses, wiring, and what I could see of the tank and etc but I see no problems.  The solenoid is under the cab and not near the bed, so any ideas if they could have jacked something up when prepping or spraying? Truck is under warranty but I don’t want to pay $100 for GM to say that Rhino folks messed something up and it’s not covered under warranty, but don’t want to harass the bedliner guys if it truly was a coincidence and not related to anything they did.  Thoughts?

P0449 indicates your evap purge solenoid is malfunctioning.

This can be from a loose gas cap, but you have a 17 and those do not use traditional gas caps. At the outset is does not make sense that spraying the bed did it. Either way, the component is not that expensive.

It's under warranty. Let GM do it. My 05 Tahoe would burn through purge solenoids every 2 years, it wasn't a big deal to change.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

The evap canister purge solenoid is near the gas tank underneath the truck. At least it was on the GMT800 series.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Even if it still is, spraying the bed or putting anything in the bed for that matter would not do anything or cause any problem with it. A part malfunctioned, just get it replaced. It's not going to be the first or last time parts malfunction.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the wiring harness, gas tank, and vents all run in the vicinity of the bed, I was really just trying to make sure that it wasn’t a common problem, as I said.  Thanks everybody for the feedback, just got it back after the dealer had it for 3 days, apparently it was a wiring harness fault but they didn’t say what the fix was.  Covered under warranty.  It does make a little sense now that I know it was a wiring harness problem, because the problem cropped up when we had been having ridiculous rain storms.

Edited by Zachofalltrades