Oil Fill Tube

51 minutes ago, Chev85 said:

Originally, I came across this post about the newer filler tube fitting right on our trucks.  I ordered one since it was cheap and liked how it made adding oil easier but also wanted it for later adding a catch can and not fighting the hoses to get to the oil cap.  When I put mine on, it was a very loose fit and had me questioning if water and/or dirt could seep past the o-ring entering the engine.  I noticed that there is already a short plastic fill tube on our trucks.  The oil cap does not screw directly into the aluminum valve cover.  You can see the new tube screwed into the short original tube in my one picture above.  With the locking tabs on the fill tube(s) you can either twist them off till you break the tab and try to fish out the broken piece that falls into the rocker area, or remove the valve cover and use a small pick to release the tab.  After I got mine all apart, it is was a much tighter fit while screwing the long tube directly into the aluminum valve cover.  Doesn't move at all and seals nicely.  Since I struggled a little getting the original plastic coil cover off over the long tube, I ordered the 2019+ plastic cover as well.  Fits like a glove, and with the gusset on the long tube at the elbow, I'm pretty certain the original coil cover would not even fit with the new tube screwed directly into the valve cover.

Does that make any sense?  I'm trying to describe it well but feel like I'm rambling!  Compare my last picture to the others above. You can see how the fill tube is sitting lower and how it fits with the new plastic cover that is notched out instead of just a hole.

Thanks Larry, you explained it perfectly. I wondered about these issues that you mentioned myself. 1. could you get the old plastic cover off over the new tube. 2. Would the tube be more secure if screwed directly into the VC.

So, I'll need to do as you, remove the cover & VC off the engine, remove the short plastic tube, them re-install the long tube directly to the aluminum VC.

Thanks so much for the reply & write up. This is what the forum is all about.

9 hours ago, rav3 said:

Thanks Larry, you explained it perfectly. I wondered about these issues that you mentioned myself. 1. could you get the old plastic cover off over the new tube. 2. Would the tube be more secure if screwed directly into the VC.

So, I'll need to do as you, remove the cover & VC off the engine, remove the short plastic tube, them re-install the long tube directly to the aluminum VC.

Thanks so much for the reply & write up. This is what the forum is all about.

@Larry      I redid my modification today as you described. Yes, the taller ('19) oil filler tube is now very sturdy.  Took the cover off, removed the VC, tried to use a pick to raise the 'snap' feature on the short connecter tube & ended up breaking it. Oh well, it's not used anyway. Twisted the long tube in & re-installed everything. The bottom back VC screw is a pain to get to. Not sure this makes it an easier to fill with oil or not. I'll still need a funnel at the top of the new tube. We'll see. I still have 2 free oil services at the dealer and with so little miles I put on my truck, and as old as I am, I may never get to use it.?

Hope these posts help others.

Glad to hear it worked out!  I also broke the tab on my original short tube :)  And glad I helped with things.  It seems like some are happy with the fit of just screwing in the long tube as is but looking back, I wish I would've just left things be!

• Like 1

I ended up doing an early oil change on my truck after having one of my oil cooler lines replaced under warranty due to a leak.  The fill tube helped a lot, I used a regular funnel and was able to easily pour the oil in without any issues like the last oil change before adding the fill tube.  I was using 5 qt bottles too, which was made even easier by the fill tube.  No worrying about the long, thin funnel I used last time overflowing and I didn't spill any when I started pouring from the full 5 qt bottles.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just completed this. As @Chev85 did, I ordered the new style plastic cover, the new long fill tube, and a new valve cover gasket - for just in case. In my case - 2018 Silverado 5.3 21,000 miles - the short tube simply rotated off. It does have that locking piece, but through defect/possible (but doubtful) slight redesign, and most likely pure luck, mine came off with no issues, nothing broke, and the short tube seems to still be useable. I rotated the new updated long tube on and installed the new plastic cover. I obviously didn't use the new gasket, but it's cheap enough so I'll probably buy one for the passenger side and just throw it in the glovebox for future use.

Thank you all for the information and part numbers making this a very easy upgrade & install.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2020 at 9:24 AM, RichardG said:

I just completed this. As @Chev85 did, I ordered the new style plastic cover, the new long fill tube, and a new valve cover gasket - for just in case. In my case - 2018 Silverado 5.3 21,000 miles - the short tube simply rotated off. It does have that locking piece, but through defect/possible (but doubtful) slight redesign, and most likely pure luck, mine came off with no issues, nothing broke, and the short tube seems to still be useable. I rotated the new updated long tube on and installed the new plastic cover. I obviously didn't use the new gasket, but it's cheap enough so I'll probably buy one for the passenger side and just throw it in the glovebox for future use.

Thank you all for the information and part numbers making this a very easy upgrade & install.

I know.......extremely old post...lol. Does that stock short tube twist into the valve cover or press in and snap. I really want to try it, without removing the cover, but don't want to lose a pc of plastic down in the engine........new truck...400 miles on it... :)  Thanks!

10 minutes ago, flyin99 said:

I know.......extremely old post...lol. Does that stock short tube twist into the valve cover or press in and snap. I really want to try it, without removing the cover, but don't want to lose a pc of plastic down in the engine........new truck...400 miles on it... :)  Thanks!

Short & long tube, they twist in (threaded) & then there's a SNAP lock that keeps it from being removed. You need to pull off the VC to get access to the snap to unlock it. IF you install the LONG tube into the SHORT tube, The long tube "snaps" into place & can not be remove without removing the VC to gain access to the snap lock on both. I didn't like how loose the LONG tube was installed into the SHORT one, so removed VC to release both. Ended up breaking the Snap on the short one trying to remove it. Anyway, took it out & threaded (screwed) the long tube in till it snaps. It will also position itself vertical in that position. Hope that makes sense.

1 minute ago, rav3 said:

Short & long tube, they twist in (threaded) & then there's a SNAP lock that keeps it from being removed. You need to pull off the VC to get access to the snap to unlock it. IF you install the LONG tube into the SHORT tube, The long tube "snaps" into place & can not be remove without removing the VC to gain access to the snap lock on both. I didn't like how loose the LONG tube was installed into the SHORT one, so removed VC to release both. Ended up breaking the Snap on the short one trying to remove it. Anyway, took it out & threaded (screwed) the long tube in till it snaps. It will also position itself vertical in that position. Hope that makes sense.

Yeah, it makes sense how they fit, I guess I was just wondering if it was possible to get the short one out without the tab breaking or if there was no choice, but to remove the VC. Thanks!

1 minute ago, flyin99 said:

Yeah, it makes sense how they fit, I guess I was just wondering if it was possible to get the short one out without the tab breaking or if there was no choice, but to remove the VC. Thanks!

You can try to twist the short one out but I think the locking tab will break on you. Just my thought. I too didn't want a piece of plastic in the valves, so ended up removing the VC to try to get the short tube off. BTW, the VC black plastic cover WILL let you snake it over the long tube. The strengthening gusset on the tube will push into the flexible grommet on the cover but will go by. I did NOT purchase the slotted VC plastic plastic cover.  

6 minutes ago, rav3 said:

You can try to twist the short one out but I think the locking tab will break on you. Just my thought. I too didn't want a piece of plastic in the valves, so ended up removing the VC to try to get the short tube off. BTW, the VC black plastic cover WILL let you snake it over the long tube. The strengthening gusset on the tube will push into the flexible grommet on the cover but will go by. I did NOT purchase the slotted VC plastic plastic cover.  

OK, thank you! I appreciate the info.

• 3 years later...