Parking (emergency) brake coming on by itself?

My husband and I have a 2019 K1500 and it has turned the parking brake one WHILE DRIVING twice. Has anyone here had this issue? It's headed to the shop tomorrow, this last time today it ruined the rotors, they are scared and have turned blue. My truck only has 10,300 miles and we have had it for more than 6 months. We are absolutely baffled by this.

20200511_170904.jpg

My parking brake on my 2019 RST has a mind of its own.  I've noticed it can be parked in the garage for 3 days and all I have to do is open the rear crew cab door and the parking brake turns on by itself and engages.  I can't for the life of me figure why that happens.  I will ask them about it at my first oil change. 

So have we decided that this is a recall issue or not?  Has anyone taken their new vehicle in and had the dealer fix this parking brake issue?  I have this recall bulletin but I'm not sure it's the same issue.

image.png.82659fe5083455bb6c5d99c041748e60.png

On 3/24/2019 at 5:55 PM, OnTheReel said:

It certainly doesn’t hurt to use it, and it probably is the right thing to do...but count me in the “never use it” clan. Even in my stick shift vehicles I don’t (unless I’m leaving the engine running of course)...

The first handful of vehicles I owned, you wouldn’t dare touch the parking brake or you’d be under there backing the tension off before you left. I’ll blame those experiences.

Is it an issue with disc brakes in some climates where the brakes are frozen on and you have to drag your tail end to some grippy surface to break them free....or was that just a drum brake issue? I remember as a kid my father telling me not to apply the emergency brake when I parked the truck In well below zero weather....usually 20-30 below zero when snow would get up in there and melt then freeze.

Edited by undersc0re

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your parking brake. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] ATTN: Forum Username/GM Trucks  with your contact information, VIN, brief description of your concern,  and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM's privacy policy, please visit http://bit.ly/2h3ZUnC.

Aleigha W. 

On 5/26/2020 at 10:14 AM, GMCustomerService said:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your parking brake. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] ATTN: Forum Username/GM Trucks  with your contact information, VIN, brief description of your concern,  and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM's privacy policy, please visit http://bit.ly/2h3ZUnC.

Aleigha W. 

My 19 is doing the same thing. Also parking brake went on while driving. Almost caused a accident. 

I just dropped my truck off at the dealer for an oil change and for them to address the antilock brake recall.  I also noted that the parking brake is coming on by itself for no reason.  The service guy noted "That's the first time I've ever heard of that."  I told him it was all over the forums.   I'll let everyone know what they say.

I remember in my 2002 Silverado, I had an issue where I would hit the brakes and before I came to a stop, occasionally the brakes would "release" a bit and I would end up going 5 ft further before stopping.  I complained to the service guy and he noted that he didn't know anything about that...and its probably because of my over sized tires (they were 1" taller than stock?).  It kept happening and I kept going back in complaining that I was going to get in a wreck because of the issue.  He would check the truck out and say nothing was wrong.  Then I finally get a recall notice for antilock brake component malfunction.  I guess I knew what I was talking about after all but it took a year of complaining.  I hope its not another situation like that.

Edited by Codeman00

I went to pick up my truck at 5:30PM and, the service guy noted that he hadn't called me so that means they are keeping my truck.  No call, no nothing to tell me that.  I asked him how long are you keeping it? He said that it was a serious issue and it needed to be looked at.  After asking if it would be into the weekend, he said no....so I don't know what the fix is or when I'm getting my truck back.   Oil Change, tire rotation and brake recall fix is complete....just waiting on them to figure out the parking brake situation.

He said that it was a serious issue and it needed to be looked at.

Ya think!!

But they said it is the first time they heard of that problem.?

I swear this must be  the new customer service reply for all companies.

Yeah, every time it seems like I know more about my vehicle than they do.  It takes me to educate them.

Anyway, my truck is ready to be picked up.  They said the new software that fixes the antilock brake recall also fixes the parking brake issue. 

By the way, if anyone wants to know what the servo noise is when you open up the truck door, the service guy says its the fuel pump priming getting ready for the push button start.

6 hours ago, Codeman00 said:

Yeah, every time it seems like I know more about my vehicle than they do.  It takes me to educate them.

Anyway, my truck is ready to be picked up.  They said the new software that fixes the antilock brake recall also fixes the parking brake issue. 

By the way, if anyone wants to know what the servo noise is when you open up the truck door, the service guy says its the fuel pump priming getting ready for the push button start.

My 17 Silverado made the same noise. It’s the fuel pump.

10 hours ago, Mike_F said:

But they said it is the first time they heard of that problem.?

Actually it's pretty legit.  Some of you folks think that because there are a few posts in a forum like this that every dealer service department out there must know of this issue.  Truth is, maybe only 10% of them do.  Why?  Because there are so few people having the issue.   So don't go assuming what is posted in forums like this is known to all. 

I have been thinking of trading my truck in for a new one. Reading about this issue ( and others like water leaks, etc.) worries me. I don't even like stabilicrap on my truck. Someone asked why wouldn’t you use it all the time. Well as a person that has had their emergency brakes freeze on ( literally freeze after moisture got in during the winter and I had the parking brakes set ) I never set them again when I parked in the winter. It is sad that GM has to have a computer set the brake automatically because people aren't smart enough to set it once in awhile even if they don't need to in order to keep it working. I have been doing this for as long as I can remember.  
maybe I should just keep my 2016 3/4 ton a few more years ?