Parking (emergency) brake coming on by itself?

6 minutes ago, Colossus said:

What good does it do to use a parking brake with an automatic transmission on a flat surface?  The vehicle is not going to pop out of gear and start rolling :P

Well for one- If someone hits you while parked and causes the truck to move significantly  it helps prevent tranny damage...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Colossus said:

What good does it do to use a parking brake with an automatic transmission on a flat surface?  The vehicle is not going to pop out of gear and start rolling :P

There's quite a difference between questioning the efficacy of a safety feature (fair and reasonable) and actively recommending people not use it (insane).

Parking brakes are better at immobilizing a vehicle than automatic transmissions are.  They're also cheaper and easier to repair. 

Using a parking brake for parking on any surface is really a no-brainer. 

You've questioned the necessity benefit of the brake, but you haven't really explained any benefit to not using it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, BLUE TRAIL BOSS said:

i asked my dealer they said it was normal for  the parking brake to come on with the new braking system. mine comes on maybe 3 times a week

I think that's total crap... Not normal. I wouldn't buy that...

Mine enables every time the auto stop goes off, when I stop on any hill. Most mornings in the garage it’s on until I touch the gas peddle. It’s actually a neat feature once your learn how and when it works. I can fully understand it jacking up tho, seems Chevy has a lot of bugs in the programming. 

This started happening to me a few weeks ago.  After some research I found my brake fluid to be low.  Took it to the shop, truck needed new rotors, new pads, and new brake fluid. Since then, the e brake light has been off.  I'd take it to the shop for a brake / brake line inspection and see if they come up with anything.

• 1 month later...

My parking brake has enabled several times randomly and no pattern I can detect. Also, as for using the parking brake on my truck I don't but on the rescue I use it every time I park. It puts on the high idle we have Chevy and Ford. 

This was happening to my '14 silverado.  Took it to the shop.  Turns out my brake fluid was low and brake line was leaking.  Had to get it repaired.  I'd start there. Other things that were happening due to this included my stabilitrak and traction control turning off/on.

On 3/24/2019 at 5:58 PM, Colossus said:

Ive explained  this to my mother  countless  times but she just feels "better" when she does it. lol hahah