Controller23

Parking (emergency) brake coming on by itself?

About half the time when I’ve parked my truck in the garage, in the morning when I start my truck the parking e-brake is on without ever pushing the button. For context, I always back my truck very slowly into the garage and of coarse go straight from R to P.

Sometimes there will be an indicator that it’s on, sometimes not. I obviously can tell it’s on when I put it in drive and it doesn’t move, then I press the button and it reflects that it is deactivated and everything is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had something similar when parking in my flat garage.  The next morning I will put the truck into D and it won't move, like hill descent is active, and won't move until I tap the gas.  The light is on then .  Most of the time putting it in D and taking my foot off the brake lets it roll forward.  There is no pattern and it isn't a big deal so I haven't worried about it.  Maybe a software update down the road will cure it. 

Do you have to push the button to move or can you tap the gas?

I've had something similar when parking in my flat garage.  The next morning I will put the truck into D and it won't move, like hill descent is active, and won't move until I tap the gas.  The light is on then .  Most of the time putting it in D and taking my foot off the brake lets it roll forward.  There is no pattern and it isn't a big deal so I haven't worried about it.  Maybe a software update down the road will cure it. 

Do you have to push the button to move or can you tap the gas?

I think I have deactivated it by tapping the gas before. Not something I really like to do pulling out of the garage- it’s pretty tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Mine will randomly engage after parking. Hasn’t done it in awhile. Brought it up to the dealer and they weren’t any help. 

Yeah, mine has done this, but not lately. I was wondering if maybe it did it thinking I was hooking up a trailer or something. The manual also mentions it periodically sets the brake to make sure it’s all working, so it might be that too. 

Hitch View : Assists while connecting to a trailer. Displays a zoomed-in view of the hitch to help align the vehicle’s hitch ball with the trailer coupler. Shifting into P (Park) while in this view will automatically engage the Electronic Parking Brake (EPB). 

• Like 1

Mine does this about once a week. As previously mentioned, the manual says the truck will activate the parking brake to test the system. Im assuming thats whats going on. Kind of weird in my opinion.

Mine does it occasionally too. Not too concerned at the moment.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It should be used every time you park regardless. Your parking pawl and driveline will thank you 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

It should be used every time you park regardless. Your parking pawl and driveline will thank you 🙂

No... it shouldn't. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Colossus said:

No... it shouldn't. 

That's interesting.

Why not?

so long

j-ten-ner

I agree- I use it every time too . 

General rule of thumb has been either always use it or never use it.  If it isn't exercised regularly it will have a tendency  to stick "on".  I guess the GM software is designed to do just that -  exercise the cable/e brakes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colossus said:

No... it shouldn't. 

Justify why.

You can’t. 

Posted (edited)

It certainly doesn’t hurt to use it, and it probably is the right thing to do...but count me in the “never use it” clan. Even in my stick shift vehicles I don’t (unless I’m leaving the engine running of course)...

The first handful of vehicles I owned, you wouldn’t dare touch the parking brake or you’d be under there backing the tension off before you left. I’ll blame those experiences.

Edited by OnTheReel

What good does it do to use a parking brake with an automatic transmission on a flat surface?  The vehicle is not going to pop out of gear and start rolling :P