Tail gate latch hard to open

I have a 2018 Silverado with 14k. Ever since I bought it the tail gate is hard to open. You really have to pull the latch handle. I thought this was normal until I opened the tailgate on a 2017 Colorado this weekend. Smooth as butter. Is this normal behavior of the tail gate latch or should it be easy? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2018 is pretty easy, about the same as my 2008 Avalanche was...it's really easy and then you hit a area that requires a little extra effort but not hard at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bhowatt said:

I have a 2018 Silverado with 14k. Ever since I bought it the tail gate is hard to open. You really have to pull the latch handle. I thought this was normal until I opened the tailgate on a 2017 Colorado this weekend. Smooth as butter. Is this normal behavior of the tail gate latch or should it be easy? Thanks.

Pull the access panel off, unhook the rods (one coming from the left, one coming from the right, in a blue and a white cap) and see if they move smoothly. It is probably not the handle itself, but the hardware attached to it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bhowatt said:

Are you sure you are not pushing the handle in, instead of pulling it out?  :confused:

Just teasing Brian!  Honestly, you have new truck under warranty.

Have your dealer take look at it and see if there is something that needs repaired or replaced.

Are you sure you are not pushing the handle in, instead of pulling it out?  :confused:

Just teasing Brian!  Honestly, you have new truck under warranty.
Have your dealer take look at it and see if there is something that needs repaired or replaced.

First I Tried opening it with a pry bar and ever since it’s been hard to open... weird. lol. Looks like warranty is going to be the plan. It was just so smooth on that Colorado tail gate.

My '18 was like that too when I bought it. I actually had something in mine disconnect so the latch no longer opened the tailgate. I brought it into the dealership and they reconnected everything and seems to be just right now. 8k miles later and many openings and its still good to go.

I was playing with a 19's tail gate when I was getting my oil changed. That system is a lot smarter than I am, could not figure out how to get it working consistently , either up or down. Stay with what you know!

Don’t feel bad I still got a “dumb” phone cause I believe my phone shouldn’t be more smarter than I are...

I found a unlocked Trailbosshog on the lot and tried to get the gate to open. It was a no go I figured maybe you have to have the key that ain’t a key in your pocket to make it work? I too wasn’t impressed cause all I could think was truck battery is dead bed cover is locked my stuff is in the bed now what...

In all seriousness OP take it in I’d bet you’ll be there less than a 1/2 hour and you’re out the door fixed up. 

2 hours ago, wforrest08 said:

Don’t feel bad I still got a “dumb” phone cause I believe my phone shouldn’t be more smarter than I are...

I found a unlocked Trailbosshog on the lot and tried to get the gate to open. It was a no go I figured maybe you have to have the key that ain’t a key in your pocket to make it work? I too wasn’t impressed cause all I could think was truck battery is dead bed cover is locked my stuff is in the bed now what...

In all seriousness OP take it in I’d bet you’ll be there less than a 1/2 hour and you’re out the door fixed up. 

Did the tail gate feel "cheap and hollow" compared to the 14 - 18 gates to you? Sounded really "tinny" when I closed it (since I could not figure out how to use the button).

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Did the tail gate feel "cheap and hollow" compared to the 14 - 18 gates to you? Sounded really "tinny" when I closed it (since I could not figure out how to use the button).

IDK I never got it to open? I said please and everything, well short of finding a salesman...

I just tried pushing the button I don’t think I even put a hand on it. It wouldn’t surprise me though since it’s aluminum now. A lot of the Fword guys say that they really notice the sound of the rain bouncing off the roof of the Alumatubbed F150s. I believe I read somewhere that maybe the new 2020 GM HDs might have an aluminum roof? If so we’ll surely be reading about “that sound” they make and the “my magnetic plow light done don’t stick to the roof of this here thang WTH do I do nows...” In fact Fword now offers a factory strobe light kit for this exact problem. You get two lights that clamp on the back of the hood with set screws facing forward and a piece tha bolts on? to the third brake light with one strobe on each side of it facing backwards. If I remember right it’s like $750 if ordered from the factory + you have to have the Upfitter switches or 600-700 at the stealership depending on switches. Hopefully my new 2021 HD (in a couple of years) comes with a factory Backrack so I can just stick my magnetic light to that if the roof really is aluminum. ?

Furd Strobes 

https://accessories.ford.com/processor-lighting-control-11732.html

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bhowatt said:

Somethings wrong with it, and in need of adjustment or replacement.

The 15, 16 and now this 18 are  (have been) smooth and easy to open. 

If your not convinced, go to a dealer and try a few on the lot or in the showroom.

(I know, the tailgate locks make this more complicated...)

• Like 1