Paint Chips in Bumper

I have probably 12-15 good sized paint chips in my front bumper and I am trying to figure out what is my best bet to get them fixed to avoid any rust. It makes me nervous to use the touch up pen myself. Am I better off taking it somewhere for the chips to get fixed, or just repaint the whole things? Also, what do I need to do to stop it from happening again?

After it’s repaired use a clear paint protection film such as a 3M or Xpel film. These films are one of those things you get what you pay for there are cheaper films out there that aren’t as thick, will peel, be more noticeable, or will yellow on you in time. Xpel even has some that “self heal” when they take a hit. There’s dozens of threads on here about this. 

Some threads about film there’s plenty more

As far as paint repair if you don’t feel confident in doing it yourself check around some local body shops to see what they would charge there’s several different ways that chips can be “fixed” depending on the damage and some of them are a lot cheaper than you would think. Even at 25 bucks a chip your less than half what a decent shop would charge to repaint the whole cover. Some larger metropolitan areas have shops that specialize in just repairing chips depending where your located. If your still interested in doing it your self check out Dr. ColorChip it’s another option to the paint pen there’s hundreds of how to videos on YOUTUBE. They also have a large area coverage option.

• Like 3

On 3/29/2019 at 9:09 PM, Ohiozr2 said:

I have probably 12-15 good sized paint chips in my front bumper and I am trying to figure out what is my best bet to get them fixed to avoid any rust. It makes me nervous to use the touch up pen myself. Am I better off taking it somewhere for the chips to get fixed, or just repaint the whole things? Also, what do I need to do to stop it from happening again?

Yep, same issues. Previous owner must have loved to tailgate. I decided to have the entire bumper sanded down/repainted. The useless touch up pen got it though the salt belt winter. Once it’s repainted I will be getting the 3M protectant. Shop I’m using is charging $900-ish to redo bumper and the 3M protectant I’ve been quoted bout $250 to install. 

Could be worst, it could be a plastic bumper. ?

3 hours ago, Crazypontiac03 said:

Yep, same issues. Previous owner must have loved to tailgate. I decided to have the entire bumper sanded down/repainted. The useless touch up pen got it though the salt belt winter. Once it’s repainted I will be getting the 3M protectant. Shop I’m using is charging $900-ish to redo bumper and the 3M protectant I’ve been quoted bout $250 to install. 

Could be worst, it could be a plastic bumper. ?

$900 seems a bit steep just to repaint a bumper . A friend of mine just had a door repainted for $600 on his Silverado  They had to fix two deep gouges from a shopping cart also .

I'd shop around.  

Another lover/ hater of painted bumpers.

I contacted Ricks Rims in the Syracuse area to price powder coating -which I think would hold up better?

I called him in the fall and decided to wait until this Spring.  

But, if I take it off and drop it off (1 week turn around) he quoted me:

$175.00 that’s blasted primed and painted.

On 4/1/2019 at 12:38 AM, mookdoc6 said:

Yawn...gots me the Chrome bumber...keep the rocks a flying I don't care!

I prefer the chrome anyways, if I could switch out my front/rear for chrome I would.

4 minutes ago, Ohiozr2 said:

I prefer the chrome anyways, if I could switch out my front/rear for chrome I would.

Yup, I think the whole Blacked Out, Black wheel thing is a joke.  My brother just picked up a 2019 T1 and got the front chrome on his Silvy......Very Nice the truck looks great and it will wear better @80K too!

Heard Dr Colorchip is the best DIY touch-up kit you can buy. He has a patented formula where you paint and wipe away the excess with a solution that makes the job go quick and look really good. TONS of youtube videos out there showing how people do it. I'll be ordering from them soon and trying it. Depending what kit you go with they start at $45. Here's their website:

https://www.drcolorchip.com/

3 hours ago, midwestdenaliguy said:

Heard Dr Colorchip is the best DIY touch-up kit you can buy. He has a patented formula where you paint and wipe away the excess with a solution that makes the job go quick and look really good. TONS of youtube videos out there showing how people do it. I'll be ordering from them soon and trying it. Depending what kit you go with they start at $45. Here's their website:

Please give us your opinion on this when you do it. Easy of use, color match, ect. I’ve watched videos and read articles/reviews but I feel like most of them are “paid spokesmen” endorsers by the way they talk? Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, wforrest08 said:

Please give us your opinion on this when you do it. Easy of use, color match, ect. I’ve watched videos and read articles/reviews but I feel like most of them are “paid spokesmen” endorsers by the way they talk? Thanks in advance.

Just ordered it. I'll let you know how it turns out and do before/after pics.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, midwestdenaliguy said:

I ordered the most expensive one. I won’t be able to get a perfect match with my color (diamond white), but if it covers the bare metal well I will be happy with it.