DEF Frustration

I recently purchased a 2016 Silverado 3500 with the 6.6l duramax. The engine has 180,000km and today while driving I recieved a message on the dic saying service diesel exhaust fluid 120km until 104km/hr top speed. I checked the DEF fluid it is full to the top. As I drive the truck the dic starts to count down the km until 104km/hr  max speed. I tried disconnecting both batteries thinking it isn't sensing the def tank being full? No luck. The engine light is also on with a u029e, u029e (ps) and u029e(pd) code. Has anyone had this issue before? TIA.

Qu

That message is not because it thinks it's low. (if it thought the level was low, it would give a 'Low DEF' message; 'Poor DEF Quality' is another common message - but is often due to NOx sensors)

It thinks there is something wrong with the hardware. (hence the 'service' message, as opposed to a def quality or level message)

There are likely codes starting with a P that will give more info. 

You will need to get it hooked to a device that can read the codes that are causing the message. 

Due to the emission regulations, the system has been designed to not be 'resetable' without doing the necessary repair.  Using hand held scanner or battery disconnect is not going to get it done.

SOME emission system failures are covered by extended policy warranty. First set is finding out what codes it has.

Edited by redwngr

18 hours ago, redwngr said:

That message is not because it thinks it's low. (if it thought the level was low, it would give a 'Low DEF' message; 'Poor DEF Quality' is another common message - but is often due to NOx sensors)

It thinks there is something wrong with the hardware. (hence the 'service' message, as opposed to a def quality or level message)

There are likely codes starting with a P that will give more info. 

You will need to get it hooked to a device that can read the codes that are causing the message. 

Due to the emission regulations, the system has been designed to not be 'resetable' without doing the necessary repair.  Using hand held scanner or battery disconnect is not going to get it done.

SOME emission system failures are covered by extended policy warranty. First set is finding out what codes it has.

I am getting a p11dc code which is the noX sensor is that something I could replace myself?

Physical change isn't difficult.

But afaik there is still a 'service regen/calibration' that needs to be done to clear the fault. To initiate that requires the electronic tools that most don't have unless they are a dealer. 

2 hours ago, redwngr said:

Physical change isn't difficult.

But afaik there is still a 'service regen/calibration' that needs to be done to clear the fault. To initiate that requires the electronic tools that most don't have unless they are a 

So what your saying is once I change the part I just have to bring it to my local dealer and recalibrate it?

If it was me, I'd get the dealer to change the sensor as well. doesn't take long, so the labour cost saving should be relatively small.

Then if they have any issues when they run the software, they can't blame it in the sensor installation.