Dented Rear Bumper, can it be fixed?

I accidentally backed into someone in a tight parking lot and found the limits of the camera! No dents but the bumper was slightly pushed in on one side. It bothered me for a little but the pain did pass. If the bumper continues to be an issue for you I would go aftermarket... get something a little more substantial. 

These bumpers are made out of one step up from tin foil.

My rear bumper was pushed in on passenger corner but thankfully didn't hit the rear quarter panel. I pulled it back straight with a ratchet strap around a stump and 1% throttle.

I still have a small dent in bumper and it used to bug me, but after a few months you learn to live with it.

I keep an eye out on craigs and local junkyards but all of them I have seen either don't have the backup sensor holes or have a dent in the same place as my current bumper.

I have a very similar dent...can barely see it, so I don't care because it's a truck (and yes, I like my truck and take care of it). I know you said you're anal about your truck, and I fully respect that. But, to me, there are much better ways to spend $400-$500 on your truck. Your back bumper has the potential to be damaged again. I'd wait and see if it continues to bother you in a month.

However, if you are going to change it regardless, I like the idea above to look into something aftermarket. Might find something you like better.

Am I missing something here?  These new bumpers aren't at all like the chrome bumpers of the old days. 

Isn't that just a chrome-plated tin backed with plastic piece?  You just buy that chrome cover piece and replace it, while the rest of the bumper stays on the truck?  Mine is 2-piece instead of one piece, but I have had the ends replaced that way.  

Just now, MaverickZ71 said:

Am I missing something here?  These new bumpers aren't at all like the chrome bumpers of the old days. 

Isn't that just a chrome-plated tin backed with plastic piece?  You just buy that chrome cover piece and replace it, while the rest of the bumper stays on the truck?  Mine is 2-piece instead of one piece, but I have had the ends replaced that way.  

Thr bumper assembly has to come off the truck to replace the chrome bumber "shell". Its not like the old days when the bumper was solid and could take a hit. These thin shells are crap. The best thong about them is the chrome. There's a bunch of squeeze clips and bolts that need to be removed to get to that shell.

Thanks for the feedback guys.. I found a local guy with a nice bumper for $300, I'm going to swap that in

and then try to sell the slightly damaged one to someone with better skills than I have for body work...

I find it pretty disappointing how these things aren't really bumpers anymore... I figured 1-2mph vs drywall and 2x4 studs I would have broken the stud before I dented the damn bumper! I thought about an aftermarket bumper but, those look to be close to 1500 and I don't love the look...

Edited by Imcrazy

46 minutes ago, Imcrazy said:

Thanks for the feedback guys.. I found a local guy with a nice bumper for $300, I'm going to swap that in

and then try to sell the slightly damaged one to someone with better skills than I have for body work...

I find it pretty disappointing how these things aren't really bumpers anymore... I figured 1-2mph vs drywall and 2x4 studs I would have broken the stud before I dented the damn bumper! I thought about an aftermarket bumper but, those look to be close to 1500 and I don't love the look...

Nice! I just sold my painted rear that was scratched really bad for $100

2 hours ago, Snowcamo said:

Nice! I just sold my painted rear that was scratched really bad for $100

Nice! The guy I bought this bumper from is the body shop manager for a local GM dealer and he said that #1 I wouldn't be able to fix the dent, he actually pointed out how the whole bumper was creased from the impact and even if I could bend it back out he said the chrome would spider web... #2 he said the sensors in my bumper are about $100 each x 4 so I could easily sell the bumper OR just the sensors for $200 in his opinion... So we shall see...