When the shifter in the drive position and going down the road it feel like it is loose. There is about 1-2 inch play. It is not hurting anything so far. But not sure if the wobble get intense if it will throw it out of drive and into neutral. 

I read that this is supposedly normal on older Chevy 08 - 18. But my father truck 16 Silverado does not do it. Don't really want to take it to the dealer and have no truck for a week or so.

• Haha 1

I took it a part yesterday and all the screws were tight it just the components have sloppiness to them. And thought I might have a bad shifter but since I am not the only one. I am just going not to worry about it.

Thank you guys!

Is it just me, or does the plastic covering around the steering column feel extraordinarily cheap?  If I don't leave my steering wheel in a higher position, the plastic covering comes apart.  I have to "snap" it back together.  Trail Boss LT.

5 hours ago, lebag335 said:

Is it just me, or does the plastic covering around the steering column feel extraordinarily cheap?  If I don't leave my steering wheel in a higher position, the plastic covering comes apart.  I have to "snap" it back together.  Trail Boss LT.

I have to agree. A lot of the plastic interior trim are cheap on this thing. The one that drives me nuts is the cover around the seat belt opening by the shoulder area. It raddle like crazy you can physically move it around with your fingers. Its like come on can you make it tighter or put some sort of rubber seal around it 

On 5/23/2019 at 8:49 AM, Moend said:

When the shifter in the drive position and going down the road it feel like it is loose. There is about 1-2 inch play. It is not hurting anything so far. But not sure if the wobble get intense if it will throw it out of drive and into neutral. 

I read that this is supposedly normal on older Chevy 08 - 18. But my father truck 16 Silverado does not do it. Don't really want to take it to the dealer and have no truck for a week or so.

Well mine on the other hand is very stiff. I did ask the Dealer and they said mine was a bit stiff but they had many complaints about the shifter being loose and now it seems they are going over board at the plant tightening them. So who knows but looking at mine yours shouldn't be loose.

Edited by ILSilverado

• 3 months later...
16 minutes ago, 17Allterrainx said:

Its annoying as hell. Mine does the same thing. Very poor design. 

Take it in. I brought mine in for that today along with various other issues. Figure while they are gutting the interior for the leaking window they can do the steering column too.

I was getting used to living with it, but I saw the TSB, and well, everything else was pissing me off with the truck today so they can deal with it now. Hope it costs GM a lot of money to fix. Column shifters have been around for what, 100 years? Should have been right from the start. /end venting.

D2097A41-60EC-4CA7-BE79-1269F484817F.thumb.jpeg.99384d4cd3e3a6cbe9cec764c95c4555.jpegBE76682E-D286-40F6-9EC3-59B580A8D1FD.thumb.jpeg.f929968469571a3fa3a76a8c7d27da13.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Moend said:

I don't understand why they are not serviceable. I actually took mine apart and got to those bolt but they were tight.

Dunno. Even if they were torque to yield, which I doubt, it shouldn’t matter anyway if they weren’t never tight in the first place! At any rate, there must be some other issue if yours were tight and you still have the wobble.

I just have a lot of difficulty accepting it. It may be “normal” but it sure ain’t right. When even my wife asked me if it should be loose like that going down the road, it obviously looks like something is wrong, to even an outsider. 

I should hear back tomorrow with an update. If they decline a repair because the bolts are tight, one might have to go in there, loosen them a turn or two and take the thing to another dealer...?