8 speed is gone for 2020

^^ Already Called my dealership. Couldn’t cancel the order as it was passed the window to do so, but they said it wouldn’t be a problem to sell the truck I ordered and put in a new order for a 2020. So I will most likely go that route. They were definitely not thrilled with my decision change but for $50K of my money, the LT Trailboss with a 6.2/10 Speed would definitely be the way to go.

Just so everyone knows....

LT Trailboss with 6.2 - 10 Speed is a $2495 Option for the 2020. My sales manager went on the program to build a 2020 and said Chevy HAS NOT opened up orders yet for the 2020 Trailboss with a 6.2 / 10 Speed Just yet. Orders for the 2020 Trailboss can be taken now only with the 5.3. He is going to check back weekly to let me know once the 6.2 order option is available.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 1:39 PM, Moend said:

good to hear, I thought I am going to be stock with an odd ball of a truck that no one want to buy when its time to sell it.
Thank you guys!

You should enjoy your new beast instead of being worried of selling her later ?

By the way, I'm curious about having 10-speed on 5.3L, specially with lower axel ratios. I'm not sure about necessity of having 10 forward gear sets on 5.3L. I can see the benefit on 6.2L or even Ford's 6 calendar turbo with higher hp and torque, but not on 5.3L and smaller naturally aspirated engines. 

I believe GM is just trying to have one transmission for all trucks in near future just from business standpoint, not technical aspects. Of course, they sell it more expensive with less hassle of different varieties. 

8 minutes ago, AMPRG said:

You should enjoy your new beast instead of being worried of selling her later ?

By the way, I'm curious about having 10-speed on 5.3L, specially with lower axel ratios. I'm not sure about necessity of having 10 forward gear sets on 5.3L. I can see the benefit on 6.2L or even Ford's 6 calendar turbo with higher hp and torque, but not on 5.3L and smaller naturally aspirated engines. 

I believe GM is just trying to have one transmission for all trucks in near future just from business standpoint, not technical aspects. Of course, they sell it more expensive with less hassle of different varieties. 

I'm not following. Wouldn't it be better to have more gears paired to a smaller engine with less horsepower and torque to help it stay in its normal power band more and thus get better performance and fuel economy? 

On 5/30/2019 at 8:56 AM, GJM32387 said:

My 19LT Trailboss build date is 6/17. This just makes me want to try to cancel and order a 2020 with the 6.2 and 10Speed. F**K

Unless you want to pay at least $10K more. Now you have a lot of incentives. For sure you won't have them for 2020 until Christmas or even March 2020, plus more expensive transmission / configuration! 

Just now, Cpl_Punishment said:

I'm not following. Wouldn't it be better to have more gears paired to a smaller engine with less horsepower and torque to help it stay in its normal power band more and thus get better performance and fuel economy? 

In my opinion, not necessarily. Due to less hp and torque, the transmission has to put more efforts to adjust needed power. Remember, fuel economy with higher gear sets comes in place during higher speed cruising conditions. That will make the engine to operate in lower rpm when not much demand exists. For stop-and-go driving conditions or towing, that won't do any magic. Usually, the gear ratios of the first 4 to 6 gears are very similar between 8 and 10 speed. If you look at the mpg for both current 5.3L-A8 and 6.2L-A10, you'll notice my reason for City and combined mpg. Besides that, if you use regular octane fuel instead of recommended 91 or higher in 6.2L, mpg will go down dramatically. 

As I mentioned before, I see this just as GM's business game ?

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2019 at 6:43 PM, HondaHawkGT said:

They let you get the High Output version of the 3.5EB in any trim now?

Not positive on that but you can get the 5.0 in any trim. I just looked and you can get the 3.5 in any trim but not reg cab short bed.. The 5.0 in any cab or trim.

On 6/14/2019 at 12:47 PM, AMPRG said:

In my opinion, not necessarily. Due to less hp and torque, the transmission has to put more efforts to adjust needed power. Remember, fuel economy with higher gear sets comes in place during higher speed cruising conditions. That will make the engine to operate in lower rpm when not much demand exists. For stop-and-go driving conditions or towing, that won't do any magic. Usually, the gear ratios of the first 4 to 6 gears are very similar between 8 and 10 speed. If you look at the mpg for both current 5.3L-A8 and 6.2L-A10, you'll notice my reason for City and combined mpg. Besides that, if you use regular octane fuel instead of recommended 91 or higher in 6.2L, mpg will go down dramatically. 

As I mentioned before, I see this just as GM's business game ?

My friend has the ford f150 with the 5.0 and 10 speed and that thing is an animal. The 10 speed keeps in the optimal rpm. He is also averaging 18 mpg on E85.