8 speed is gone for 2020

According to TFL the 8 speed is gone for 2020. Does this mean our 2019 are the only ones with 8Speed. Not sure when the 8 speed started. My dad truck if 16 and I believe his if 6 speed. 

It makes sense. Ford puts the 10 speed in all trims besides the WT. GM will do the same and run the 6L80 in the bottom trim model.

The 8L80 and 8L90 have quite a few flaws and the 10 speed is just much better

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Moend said:

According to TFL the 8 speed is gone for 2020. Does this mean our 2019 are the only ones with 8Speed. Not sure when the 8 speed started. My dad truck if 16 and I believe his if 6 speed. 

8spd came out in 2016 on the upper trim levels.

5 minutes ago, CRApex said:

8spd came out in 2016 on the upper trim levels.

8 speed came out in 2015 model year if I remember correctly. My 14 that was a 6.2 was a 6 speed. 

2015 for the 6.2, expanded to higher trims (SLT/LTZ and up) with the 5.3 in 16.

Are we sure it’s actually gone? Previous articles have stated that the 10 speed will be optional on LT/ SLE (with 4WD only) and standard on LTZ/SLT and up. It would seem the 8 speed is still going to be around in a reduced role.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

8 speed came out in 2015 model year if I remember correctly. My 14 that was a 6.2 was a 6 speed. 

Ya you know you're right.  16 was when it actually shifted somewhat normal...lol

Nope.  8 speed still in use.  GM's press release:  https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2019/may/0522-silverado.html

Engine/Trans chart below.  8 speed is still with the 2.7 Turbo (available on Custom, standard on LT and RST), and the L84 5.3 w/DFM (available on LT and RST, standard on LTZ and High Country).

The 10 speed is an option on the L84 5.3 standard engine for the High Country.  10 speed is standard on all 6.2 and 3.0 Duramax equipped trucks. 

The chart from the link above:

2020 Chevrolet Silverado Propulsion Lineup

4.3L V-6 w/ AFM (6-spd.)

5.3L V-8 w/ AFM (6-spd.)

2.7L Turbo w/ AFM (8-spd)

5.3L V-8 w/DFM (8-spd.)

5.3L V-8 w/DFM (10-spd.)

6.2L V-8 w/DFM (10-spd.)

3.0L I-6 Turbo Diesel (10-spd.)

Work Truck (WT)

Std.

Avail.

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

Custom

Std.

Avail.

Avail.

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

Custom Trail Boss

Std.

Avail.

N/A

N/A

N/A

Avail.

N/A

LT

N/A

N/A

Std.

Avail.

N/A

N/A

Avail.

RST

N/A

N/A

Std.

Avail.

N/A

Avail.

Avail.

LT Trail Boss

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

Std.

Avail.

N/A

LTZ

N/A

N/A

N/A

Std.

N/A

Avail.

Avail.

High Country

N/A

N/A

N/A

Std.

Avail.

Avail.

Avail.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Moend said:

good to hear, I thought I am going to be stock with an odd ball of a truck that no one want to buy when its time to sell it.
Thank you guys!

I thought the same thing. When the new F-150 came in 2015, it didn't have Android Auto. It was introduced in 2016 and the 2015 owners rightfully thought that really sucked.

Why keep the 6 speed though? I know it's only paired with the 4.3 V6 but one would think it might give them a leg up against fleet competitors as it should improve towing by a little bit. Offering the 10 speed at lower trims with the 5.3 is a good move except for the must select 4x4 part. Also glad to see the 6.2 going to lower trims finally. Guess it took Ram knocking them down to third place to wake up and become competitive lol