Dexos or Mobil 1

6 minutes ago, mafd2 said:

And yes, Even though Mobil 1 claims and guarantees 20K miles doesn't mean you have to go that long.

And Shouldn't go that long. Especially with these Ecotech DI engines.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MaverickZ71 said:

New Shell Gas Truck motor oil.  Available at WalMart and Autozone, and other places.  Full-synthetic, Dexos-rated, for any mileage.  Contains most of the same additives as their diesel engine oil, to keep your pistons and rings clean.  It has better numbers than Shell's own Pennzoil Platinum, which in turn is better than Mobil1.  

And a rebate, too!

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/coupons-rebates-and-sweepstakes/save-up-to-10-dollar-per-5-quarts.html#iframe=L0RJWS9nYXN0cnVjay9zdG9yZWxvY2F0b3IuY2Zt

• Like 2

Any dexos gen 2 oil is going to do absolutely great in these trucks.  The only thing I've ever seen to compete between truck brand loyalists is motor oil brand loyalists.  But in truth your QuakerPennCasMobiValveAmsPurple in 0W-20 flavor will all do about the same thing.  In truth if you really want to save some money go to Walmart and buy this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Full-Synthetic-SAE-0W-20-Motor-Oil-5-Quarts/254038905

Buy a quality filter (Wix has been mentioned) and change more often.  For basically the same money, I personally would rather have two oil changes with Supertech in the same mileage timeframe as one with the super high perfomance 20K mile oils.

Edited by Foghorn17

Make sure you get dated recipes. Dealership will any excuse to deny warranty. My earlier days I did my own. Now under warranty vehicles go to dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not the dealer, General Motors. The dealer has no control over warranty claims.

Not the dealer, General Motors. The dealer has no control over warranty claims.

Sure they do, I’ve been denied by the dealer and accepted by the manufacturer.

Sure they do, I’ve been denied by the dealer and accepted by the manufacturer.

Bad dealer then.

From a chemistry point of view oils like AMSOIL and Red Line would by their nature enhance OCI. WOULD if it were not for the hideous oil temperatures they are ask to tolerate. Jon A has the tread going on cooling system mods and one of the last entries a fellow shows his screen shot of towing with oil temperatures at 261 F. Bearing temperatures run about 75 degrees warmer so what 336F oil temperature? There is another thread where video's are shared of some oil testing (Scotty) where he hot plates oils at 400 F for two hours. (NOACK) Not a one of them fails to turn black. That's thermal oxidation. 

Between high power density of todays motors and insane water/oil temperatures claims for 20K OCI are almost criminal. IMHO. They are basing that claim entirely on? Acid pack concentrations and oxidation inhibitor levels and ignoring pan/bearing/ring interface temperatures completely. IF you thing that is meaningless ask yourself why the NOACK test temperature is what it is then ask how long you thing that Group III Mobil 1 will take it? 

I'm absolutely certain there are guys that have done 15K on panther pee for 200K miles with no issues. I'm equally certain that I've seen 1 million mile flat head Fords on Group II changed every 2K. What I haven't seen is 15 to 20K OCI's and million mile motors. 

UOA on my motor and Red Line (PAO/Ester) shows 5,000 OCI is as far as I should push it for a AFM active motor. I'm good with that. 

:seeya: