Bilstein 6112 installed!

Installed the 2" lift kit bilstein 6112 shocks and springs on my otherwise factory 2015 gmc sierra crew cab 6.2 SLT.  

Kit number was 47-273702 and included both front shocks, springs, mounting cups/hardware etc.  I put a set of 5160 rears on it.

These showed up and wow!  Shocks are huge diameter almost 3".  Giant pushrods.  Everything looked extremely stout, bigger and equal quality to the $2k+ set of fox I put on my last cummins.

Installation went smooth, no hangups although I am surprised at how fast GMs rust given the truck is 4 years old.  

I've driven 800 miles so far so presumably everything has settled nicely.  The top setting (4 adjustments) gave me 1.8-2" of lift, which makes the truck appear level in stock form.  Ride is VERY controlled, does not feel stiff to me at all, but the bounce and rock from the stock ranchos is now completely gone.  Quite fun hitting speedbumps and joints quick, the truck just absorbs the hit and there is no jounce or jar.   Very stable.   I would even venture to say the ride soaks hits better than the 2.5 fox setup, although this truck is lighter and independent front so never a fair comparison.  Overall just wanted to post this up since I did not see many reviews for this product related to GM trucks, so I was a bit weary on the initial purchase!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thats the best part, only $600 for both fronts, includes shocks and springs etc.  I bought it from battle born offroad but have no connection to them, so I would just find the best price.  They had a coupon code for gmtrucks at the time I purchased.  Shocks are 2.7" diameter.  The rears are a bit smaller I think 2", but they have reservoirs so should even out. 

bilstein 1 gmc.jpg

bilstein 2 gmc.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 99bluebird said:

Thats the best part, only $600 for both fronts, includes shocks and springs etc.  I bought it from battle born offroad but have no connection to them, so I would just find the best price.  They had a coupon code for gmtrucks at the time I purchased.  Shocks are 2.7" diameter.  The rears are a bit smaller I think 2", but they have reservoirs so should even out. 

bilstein 1 gmc.jpg

bilstein 2 gmc.jpg

Wow Truck looks great!  I love the stance.

On 6/3/2019 at 4:35 PM, 99bluebird said:

Installed the 2" lift kit bilstein 6112 shocks and springs on my otherwise factory 2015 gmc sierra crew cab 6.2 SLT.  

Kit number was 47-273702 and included both front shocks, springs, mounting cups/hardware etc.  I put a set of 5160 rears on it.

These showed up and wow!  Shocks are huge diameter almost 3".  Giant pushrods.  Everything looked extremely stout, bigger and equal quality to the $2k+ set of fox I put on my last cummins.

Installation went smooth, no hangups although I am surprised at how fast GMs rust given the truck is 4 years old.  

I've driven 800 miles so far so presumably everything has settled nicely.  The top setting (4 adjustments) gave me 1.8-2" of lift, which makes the truck appear level in stock form.  Ride is VERY controlled, does not feel stiff to me at all, but the bounce and rock from the stock ranchos is now completely gone.  Quite fun hitting speedbumps and joints quick, the truck just absorbs the hit and there is no jounce or jar.   Very stable.   I would even venture to say the ride soaks hits better than the 2.5 fox setup, although this truck is lighter and independent front so never a fair comparison.  Overall just wanted to post this up since I did not see many reviews for this product related to GM trucks, so I was a bit weary on the initial purchase!

Thanks for the write-up and review. I have a set of 6112's in garage waiting for installation on Tuesday. Been back and forth on what setting. I also was thinking setting #4. Installer suggested 3# setting and that made me second guess myself. Have a few days to deceide and 2" blocks for rear if I go #4. 

Glad I looked for a 6112 thread before starting one. I also ordered 6112 front and 5160 rears from Battle Born. The 5160s arrived yesterday but I ordered complete, built 6112s so I can install myself without a spring compressor. I had Battle Born assemble the 6112s on the highest setting. I bought new block for the rear that will raise it by 3/4" so I should still have some rake for towing. I'll install everything later in the week.

One thing I noticed about the 5160s is that the steel bodies seem to be machined but with no coating, I'm wondering how long they'll take to rust.

Clear Coat would be best, but you might take a look on Amazon at two products I've used to keep corrosion down on sleds, quads, dirt bikes, spare tire hardware , hitch receivers, tools. I've had ACF -50 for awhile and just ordered another can of Corrossion X.  I like Corrosion X better. I've never used on shocks, but don't see how it could hurt. Obviously keep that far away from brake pads, rotors.

I have to drop truck off later today and have changed my mind 10 times if I want to do 3rd setting and leave rear alone or 4th setting and add 2" block in rear. 

Well, it your truck and you can set it up how you like.  But if you want my opinion, use the 3rd notch.  It's plenty for a 33" tire (maybe 34") and is easier on the ball joints, steering components and CV joints.  Plus you don't need blocks for the rear.

That's how I plan to set mine up.

Nice review and post Doug. Thanks for sharing.

These have been highly anticipated since 2015 when they were introduced. I gave up on them and went with 5100s.

Painful as to why it took 4 years for them to be released on the GM trucks.

Question is, are they really worth the $400 more than a front set of 5100's ?

My 5100s provided a tremendous positive result over the worn out Ranchos on my truck.

I dog on the Ranchos any chance i can get!     :loser:

Your ride experience compares to the feel of the 5100s.

Maybe the spring is softer for these than the factory spring for the 5100s.

1 hour ago, Mike GMC said:

Well, it your truck and you can set it up how you like.  But if you want my opinion, use the 3rd notch.  It's plenty for a 33" tire (maybe 34") and is easier on the ball joints, steering components and CV joints.  Plus you don't need blocks for the rear.

That's how I plan to set mine up.

That's the way I'm leaning. 

There is so much less weight to damp in the rear, why would need a bigger shock body and piston?  Even loading up the bed and putting  1000 pounds on the hitch barely balances out the weight.  For road driving, 5100 rear is fine, for off-road, the 5160 provides additional cooling.  Are the rear shocks from other manufacturers bigger?