LT Trailboss with 6.2/10 or AT4 with 6.2/10

The 2020 Chevrolet LT Trailboss with optional 6.2/10speed makes the decision to buy an AT4 with the 6.2/10 much more difficult. I guess it comes down to the styling differences, and I suppose the multi-pro tailgate and heads-up display. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

If I could get an AT4 or a Trailboss with identical options, I'd still go with the AT4 based solely on appearance. For me, it just LOOKS better than the TB. I'm really not a fan of the solid black front end on the TB. I also think the lifted look just "fits" the appearance of the Sierra a lot more. Just seems to naturally go together. The only real thing the Chevy has that I would want on the GMC would be the lifting tailgate. Fancy tailgate like the Multi-pro and they couldn't put auto-lift on it? I also wish the trim was a removable option on the GMC. I don't like the wheels on either option, so that's not a deciding factor for me.

Edited by HBKidJr
  • Like 1

AT4 has the multi pro tailgate but I'm not a fan of the interior colour. 

MSRP on the 2019 TB is about $10k lower (in Canada, anyway), so if you assume the only change for 2020 is the $2500 for the 6.2, you would come out ahead on price with the Chevy - assuming you don't need (want) any of the features that are only on the AT4. 

Edited by Cpl_Punishment

See if you can find a GMC and Chevy dealership and sit in them back to back...I followed this process and my impression was the Chevy is more of a true truck and the GMC is more of a Luxury vehicle.

I ended up with an AT4 because everything felt much nicer inside and the multipro is everything its cracked up to be and more..GM is crazy if they dont put the multipro on ever single truck they make within a few years. I bet they put it in the Chevys in 2021 and all of the 2020 owners will be mad...because it is that good.

Edited by Chris walker

To me the power up tailgate of the Chevy is a great option.  I have used it 5 times in the last week.  Multi-pro would be junk on day one when I put my hitch in.  I like LTZ trim on a Chevy though.  

16 minutes ago, teyaroch said:

To me the power up tailgate of the Chevy is a great option.  I have used it 5 times in the last week.  Multi-pro would be junk on day one when I put my hitch in.  I like LTZ trim on a Chevy though.  

Do you tow so often that you leave your hitch in? I smashed my shins too many times that I learned to take 5 seconds to take it out.

Poor excuse. What's wrong with a Black and Tan interior. It's fine when it comes to beer.

• Like 1

It’s not that I can’t lift my tailgate myself, but if my arms are full it’s nice to be able to bump it with my knee or close it from the fob when I get into my house. I’m sure the MultiPro would be equally useful to me...but you don’t know what you don’t know...so I’m happy with the power gate. 

Both are more or less just party tricks. I was doing okay with the tailgates that just slam when you open them too.

This is all a moot point because the Trail Boss doesn’t even get the power up tailgate. To me the bigger differences between the two trims would be vented seats, lane keep assist, tech package with surround view, HUD and camera mirror and so on. There’s a lot of niceties that the LT TB doesn’t get but it’s up to you on how much luxury you need.

Appreciate the feedback so far! I’m coming from a 2019 Ram, so I was leaning toward the GMC because I’ve heard there’s just a bit more niceties. Let me tell you though, all that nice interior doesn’t mean jack if the truck is an overall pain in the butt! I will have to say the ventilated seats are nice, especially in VA where the humidity makes it feel like a wet blanket! 

1 hour ago, Mjharden said:

Appreciate the feedback so far! I’m coming from a 2019 Ram, so I was leaning toward the GMC because I’ve heard there’s just a bit more niceties. Let me tell you though, all that nice interior doesn’t mean jack if the truck is an overall pain in the butt! I will have to say the ventilated seats are nice, especially in VA where the humidity makes it feel like a wet blanket! 

Once you have vented seats, there is no going back

• Like 1

My wife is the AT4 is the primary driver - I get it on weekends.  She insisted on the nicer interior of the AT4 - especially the better quality leather and ventilated seats.  The unperforated, unventilated, and plasticy leather seats in our prior SubZ71 were a great motivator to step-up to the AT4. Love the tailgate and surprised to have become accustomed to the head's-up display. The 10-speed transmission is so intuitive both in normal\spirited on road driving and in Low-range off-road that I do not bother with shifting manually, something I did often with the SubZ71. I have never tried the 8-speed tranny, so cannot comment on it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bgsntth said:

My wife is the AT4 is the primary driver - I get it on weekends.  She insisted on the nicer interior of the AT4 - especially the better quality leather and ventilated seats.  The unperforated, unventilated, and plasticy leather seats in our prior SubZ71 were a great motivator to step-up to the AT4. Love the tailgate and surprised to have become accustomed to the head's-up display. The 10-speed transmission is so intuitive both in normal\spirited on road driving and in Low-range off-road that I do not bother with shifting manually, something I did often with the SubZ71. I have never tried the 8-speed tranny, so cannot comment on it.

I keep hearing this same thing over and over about the 6.2 with the 10 speed! Haven’t really seen anyone disappointed, or any problems. That will be a nice change coming from my current truck, which has been a nightmare in terms of workmanship and quality!

On 6/20/2019 at 8:47 PM, FDHog said:

Do you tow so often that you leave your hitch in? I smashed my shins too many times that I learned to take 5 seconds to take it out.

Poor excuse. What's wrong with a Black and Tan interior. It's fine when it comes to beer.

Yes, I leave it in because I tow 4 of 7 days.

I went with the Chevy because there's just tooooo much bulbous, massive, flat grille on the GMC.  My last two trucks were GMC, but this time, all that grille was just too much.  I just don't like it.  

I didn't think too much of the blackout grille on the TB either, so I ordered a Silverado Z71 and had the TB 2" lift suspension added as a dealer installed option.  That fancy AT4 tailgate would have been nice, but I can live without it (always have), and it adds $3K to the price of the GMC.   The chrome Chevy grille with a black bow tie looks great to me.  I get compliments all the time.