Squeaky belt or pulley on 6.2 HC

Well, dealership just called back a few minutes ago and can't find anything wrong and can't duplicate the chirping....wonderful.  Will be looking forward to see what all comes about with your experience and if GM releases a service bulletin for it.

• 2 weeks later...

So, took mine into the dealer the morning of 7/22 for a noise coming out of the seat vent fans (sounded like a bad fan bearing) and the chirping noise while driving at highway speeds with a light load on the engine. Service advisor has the shop manager go for a ride along so he can hear this chirping. We’re 5 miles or so into the ride along and he informs me his ears "aren’t the best" and he could never hear it. So I was just preparing for the worst in that i’d get the truck back with the big "could not duplicate".

Fast forward to today and service advisor informs me the seat is fixed and they have been able to duplicate the chirp. Bad news is they don’t yet have a clue what’s causing it yet.

Hope to get some more info from BeardBros (Jaymz) soon as well as my dealer.

Any updates from anyone?

It sounds like my "squeak" is getting louder. Currently around 2600 miles. I did have a CAT back from GM installed to try and drown out the annoying squeak, but it didn't help. 

At least the good news is, the exhaust itself sounds awesome. 

My dealer's service advisor just texted me this morning and told me they put chassis ears on my truck and found the noise to be coming from a PCV.  He referenced PIP5587 for which there isn't currently a fix. ?

The PIP is attached below.

PIP5587.pdf

Edited by Wheelguy

So the dealer is putting a new transmission in mine, they said it was a bad planetary gear making the squeaking/chirping noise. They said my issue is all recorded in the GM tech bulletin stuff and any other dealer should have access to it. As of right now I have been waiting for a trans, GM does not have any to give up as they are all going to the assembly line and GM does not pull parts from the plants assembly lines anymore to get a warranty service job done. So I am in a loaner truck until they can get a trans. ? After I get my truck back I will ask the dealer if there is any tech bulletin # to reference if anyone else has this problem.

Edited by BeardBros
  • Like 2

Thanks Jaymz.

Also, FWIW, I ended up emailing GM ([email protected]) & got my truck's build sheet.  Mine was built on 6/19/2019 at Plant Z (Ft. Wayne plant - based on sticker on door jamb).  Wanted to make sure I wasn't mistaking this noise for the one in the jingle jingle thread (goes away when in 4WD) .

Thank you for the update, i believe this is what mine is doing also.  I can put it in gear and hold the brake with light throttle and get the chirp to show up.  Now that it may be pin pointed I will try and see if i can track it down to the PCV.  I am curious if this  is the same noise that I have on start up that takes 30 seconds or so to quite down. I will try to attach a video.....you can hear a tension-er/belt  type noise until near the end and then it just disappears .....does this every time i start it after sitting for a couple hours and it doesn't matter if its hot or cold.

31 minutes ago, FishHuntRepeat said:

Thank you for the update, i believe this is what mine is doing also.  I can put it in gear and hold the brake with light throttle and get the chirp to show up.  Now that it may be pin pointed I will try and see if i can track it down to the PCV.  I am curious if this  is the same noise that I have on start up that takes 30 seconds or so to quite down. I will try to attach a video.....you can hear a tension-er/belt  type noise until near the end and then it just disappears .....does this every time i start it after sitting for a couple hours and it doesn't matter if its hot or cold.

Mine does the same thing at start up after sitting - maybe longer than a couple of hours for me, but I haven't driven the truck for more than 2k miles yet.  I have no clue if the two noises are related or not.  All I know is that the dealer focused on the chirping sound while driving with light load on the engine and they had the chassis ears on the PCV pipe which led them to the PIP document I attached above.

I was afraid of the "no fix" situation when I took it in....seem to be pretty rampant with the past 2 generations.

What's ironic is that the loaner I'm driving is exhibiting the jingle jingle noise that disappears in 4WD.

I think I might have this issue. AT4 6.2lt. I have about 15k mikes. Just noticed the sound last week. I hear it best in the garage. It starts when you put it into gear. Starts whining. 

I tried listening while driving. I think it goes away once it’s in about 5th gear. 

I put the truck in manual mode. I don’t think it’s shifting into 4th. There is absolutely no change in rpm from 3rd to 4th (up or down). Likewise from 5th back to 4th.  Have to go from third to 5th to get a change in rpms. 

The sounds seems to be worst on cold starts but pretty much does it all the time. 

Supposed to drive to Bristol this weekend. Not sure if I should. 

14 hours ago, wu8always said:

I think I might have this issue. AT4 6.2lt. I have about 15k mikes. Just noticed the sound last week. I hear it best in the garage. It starts when you put it into gear. Starts whining. 

I tried listening while driving. I think it goes away once it’s in about 5th gear. 

I put the truck in manual mode. I don’t think it’s shifting into 4th. There is absolutely no change in rpm from 3rd to 4th (up or down). Likewise from 5th back to 4th.  Have to go from third to 5th to get a change in rpms. 

The sounds seems to be worst on cold starts but pretty much does it all the time. 

Supposed to drive to Bristol this weekend. Not sure if I should. 

It's under warranty...drive away! If something fails it'll be easy to find the cause.

On 8/7/2019 at 10:24 AM, BeardBros said:

So the dealer is putting a new transmission in mine, they said it was a bad planetary gear making the squeaking/chirping noise. They said my issue is all recorded in the GM tech bulletin stuff and any other dealer should have access to it. As of right now I have been waiting for a trans, GM does not have any to give up as they are all going to the assembly line and GM does not pull parts from the plants assembly lines anymore to get a warranty service job done. So I am in a loaner truck until they can get a trans. ? After I get my truck back I will ask the dealer if there is any tech bulletin # to reference if anyone else has this problem.

Please do as mine is doing the exact same thing with 4500k.  So annoying.....

On 8/7/2019 at 10:24 AM, BeardBros said:

Please do as mine is doing the exact same thing with 4500k.  So annoying.....

On 8/7/2019 at 9:24 AM, BeardBros said:

Any update?