Squeaky belt or pulley on 6.2 HC

Started hearing a squeaking/chirping noise and I'm almost 1k miles in. Sounds a bit like low volume crickets underneath the truck. I hear it on cold-start, auto start-stop and occasionally on the highway. I think i can get it to repeatedly happen when i apply light throttle. I assumed it was coming from the exhaust flappers. Yesterday, i got underneath the truck after starting it and listened to the flappers and even turned them a few times. No squeak in the exhaust section. Point of origin seems to be from the engine bay. 

I have to take my truck in for some other issues and will ask them to look at this. I'm hoping it's just loose drive belt or sth and not the transmission. My main reason for going with the 10-speed was to avoid the supposedly troubled 8-speed. Sigh!

Edited by truck_newbie

21 hours ago, truck_newbie said:

Started hearing a squeaking/chirping noise and I'm almost 1k miles in. Sounds a bit like low volume crickets underneath the truck. I hear it on cold-start, auto start-stop and occasionally on the highway. I think i can get it to repeatedly happen when i apply light throttle. I assumed it was coming from the exhaust flappers. Yesterday, i got underneath the truck after starting it and listened to the flappers and even turned them a few times. No squeak in the exhaust section. Point of origin seems to be from the engine bay. 

I have to take my truck in for some other issues and will ask them to look at this. I'm hoping it's just loose drive belt or sth and not the transmission. My main reason for going with the 10-speed was to avoid the supposedly troubled 8-speed. Sigh!

It may not be the tranny - I had exact same symptoms & was a known issues with the pressure control valve. I would request the dealer to throw chassis ears on the PCV pipe. You’re probably going to have to be able to reliably reproduce the sound so you can tell them how to do it. Also, make sure the person diagnosing or going along for ride along has good hearing. If it’s not PCV pipe then it might be tranny.

Adaptive valves (flappers) used to chirp but that was fixed on the K2. That noise would sound like it’s coming from the backseat or bed if it were the valves. My 2016 did it but it would only be an occasional chirp (open/close). This PCV chirp (if that’s what yours is) is more constant when it starts to do it, not just 2 chirps every now & then.

Edited by Wheelguy

5 hours ago, Wheelguy said:

It may not be the tranny - I had exact same symptoms & was a known issues with the pressure control valve. I would request the dealer to throw chassis ears on the PCV pipe. You’re probably going to have to be able to reliably reproduce the sound so you can tell them how to do it. Also, make sure the person diagnosing or going along for ride along has good hearing. If it’s not PCV pipe then it might be tranny.

Adaptive valves (flappers) used to chirp but that was fixed on the K2. That noise would sound like it’s coming from the backseat or bed if it were the valves. My 2016 did it but it would only be an occasional chirp (open/close). This PCV chirp (if that’s what yours is) is more constant when it starts to do it, not just 2 chirps every now & then.

Hmm, that's interesting. Will bring up the PCV to them. I just hope it's not the transmission but something simple instead. I'm on a loaner wait list right now so the earliest they can look at this among other small issues is 2-3 weeks which is perfectly fine with me because it's not a priority. I'm not noticing any shifting issues and the squeak/chirp only bothers me when i'm listening for it. Hopefully it resolves by itself before they can have a chance to look at it. ?

here's an update to the transmission noise i have.  2019 6.2 lt, 10 speed

a few weeks ago i noticed a whining noise when i put the truck into drive (and reverse).  you could hear it as it went through the gears, but no other symptoms.  last week, the trans started clunking occasionally during downshifts.  then started slipping and surging at low speeds with in town driving (not consistently).  took it to the dealer last friday.  they think it's a torque converter issue and are replacing that.

this particular dealer said they've not seen any of the 10 speeds with issues.  they had to call a GM tech to help diagnose the issue.  

parts are supposed to be in mid-week, then a few days to do the work.   hopefully that resolves it. 

Dropped mine off today and could recreate the noise for the service manager, he heard it so maybe I will get some traction.  i was checking out some of the trucks on the lot and man a lot of the beds are misaligned.  I will update when they get back to me.  The loaner I am driving makes the same noise just not as loud.....I'm dreading the call that this is normal for the 6.2

On 8/28/2019 at 2:53 PM, FishHuntRepeat said:

Dropped mine off today and could recreate the noise for the service manager, he heard it so maybe I will get some traction.  i was checking out some of the trucks on the lot and man a lot of the beds are misaligned.  I will update when they get back to me.  The loaner I am driving makes the same noise just not as loud.....I'm dreading the call that this is normal for the 6.2

I'm hearing mine much more frequently now. Still waiting on a loaner to be available so i can take it in. These can't all possibly be the 10-speed transmission considering how prevalent it seems to be. If it is indeed the 10-speed, then that would be a poor showing for it's start of life considering all the hate the 8-speed got for it's shudder issue. 

I too suspect we will eventually be told it's normal for the 6.2. Oh well, joys of a first year model. 

16 hours ago, truck_newbie said:

I'm hearing mine much more frequently now. Still waiting on a loaner to be available so i can take it in. These can't all possibly be the 10-speed transmission considering how prevalent it seems to be. If it is indeed the 10-speed, then that would be a poor showing for it's start of life considering all the hate the 8-speed got for it's shudder issue. 

I too suspect we will eventually be told it's normal for the 6.2. Oh well, joys of a first year model. 

Mine didn’t have anything to do with the transmission & of the 2 people, including myself, that have taken their truck into the dealer & reported back, neither were told anything was normal. With that being said, it also doesn’t mean there is definitely a fix for whatever it is you’re hearing either.

i would be more surprised if these are all transmission related versus PCV related since an engineering change is being looked at for the PCV. That tells me the PCV issue is more widespread. Plus, the dealership didn’t have to get any GM engineers involved to diagnose.

Edited by Wheelguy

On 8/30/2019 at 10:48 AM, Wheelguy said:

Mine didn’t have anything to do with the transmission & of the 2 people, including myself, that have taken their truck into the dealer & reported back, neither were told anything was normal. With that being said, it also doesn’t mean there is definitely a fix for whatever it is you’re hearing either.

i would be more surprised if these are all transmission related versus PCV related since an engineering change is being looked at for the PCV. That tells me the PCV issue is more widespread. Plus, the dealership didn’t have to get any GM engineers involved to diagnose.

I think the sound has changed slightly. It is sounding more like shuffling rather than squeaking. I can get it to repeatedly happen if i apply light throttle whether cruising at highway speed or moving from a stop. Did your PCV issue sound like shuffling?

1 hour ago, truck_newbie said:

I think the sound has changed slightly. It is sounding more like shuffling rather than squeaking. I can get it to repeatedly happen if i apply light throttle whether cruising at highway speed or moving from a stop. Did your PCV issue sound like shuffling?

Nope - it was a chirping sound that typically occurs once you get to a consistent speed. It will come & go in shorter spurts when the RPM vary more, like when driving around town. For me, I noticed it most when driving above 50mph consistently like on divided highways and interstates with cruise control on. As soon as DFM would deactivate, the chirping would go away. It was very difficult to get it to do it driving in stop & go traffic. The longer I could drive and keep the engine under a light load (low RPMs) the easier it was to get the chirp to start. Once it started, it chirped so frequently it would sound like a consistent squeaking or high pitched rattle. I tried to record it with my phone but there was too much ambient noise & it’s what others might call faint, especially if they have a hard time hearing higher pitched sounds. It can’t be heard over the radio.

The sound hasn’t changed or gotten worse or louder for 2k miles and I haven’t tried driving near retaining walls or sound barrier walls with the windows down to see if it’s more easily heard. I honestly try not to listen for it because it will bother me more & then piss me off more since nothing can be done about my particular issue.

Yes, it completely sucks balls that anyone pays what they demand out of a truck and it ends up disappointing you in any way. However, since there’s nothing that can be done about it right now, all I can do is try to enjoy everything else and try to put that part out of my mind or I will just not enjoy it. What other choice do I have other than to get more frustrated or go through a possibly very ugly buy back or lemon law fiasco that more than likely isn’t going to go in my favor? The dealership is held hostage since it falls under warranty and they can only do what GM allows or instructs or they might end up making it or something else worse.

I’ve worked in the auto industry for close to 30 years, most of it in design & engineering areas & there’s been so much change in so many aspects that I honestly feel it’s finally catching up to the automakers. They’re still pushing for styling changes while incorporating new tech under the hood & behind the scenes as well as squeezing suppliers for cheaper components so suppliers run to Mexico, China & India for cheaper labor (and as a result usually lower quality) - eventually all that has to have a negative impact. Too much to do & not enough time to do it. It wouldn’t bother me one bit if they stretched the lifespan of platforms a few years longer but I doubt they’d ever do that. We’re being trained to be a throw away society. Gotta have the latest & greatest. Sorry, getting on a soapbox & not my thing. Just my opinion on a big ship that is really hard to turn on a dime.

Edited by Wheelguy

21 minutes ago, Wheelguy said:

Nope - it was a chirping sound that typically occurs once you get to a consistent speed. It will come & go in shorter spurts when the RPM vary more, like when driving around town. For me, I noticed it most when driving above 50mph consistently like on divided highways and interstates with cruise control on. As soon as DFM would deactivate, the chirping would go away. It was very difficult to get it to do it driving in stop & go traffic. The longer I could drive and keep the engine under a light load (low RPMs) the easier it was to get the chirp to start. Once it started, it chirped so frequently it would sound like a consistent squeaking or high pitched rattle. I tried to record it with my phone but there was too much ambient noise & it’s what others might call faint, especially if they have a hard time hearing higher pitched sounds. It can’t be heard over the radio.

The sound hasn’t changed or gotten worse or louder for 2k miles and I haven’t tried driving near retaining walls or sound barrier walls with the windows down to see if it’s more easily heard. I honestly try not to listen for it because it will bother me more & then piss me off more since nothing can be done about my particular issue.

Yes, it completely sucks balls that anyone pays what they demand out of a truck and it ends up disappointing you in any way. However, since there’s nothing that can be done about it right now, all I can do is try to enjoy everything else and try to put that part out of my mind or I will just not enjoy it. What other choice do I have other than to get more frustrated or go through a possibly very ugly buy back or lemon law fiasco that more than likely isn’t going to go in my favor? The dealership is held hostage since it falls under warranty and they can only do what GM allows or instructs or they might end up making it or something else worse.

I’ve worked in the auto industry for close to 30 years, most of it in design & engineering areas & there’s been so much change in so many aspects that I honestly feel it’s finally catching up to the automakers. They’re still pushing for styling changes while incorporating new tech under the hood & behind the scenes as well as squeezing suppliers for cheaper components so suppliers run to Mexico, China & India for cheaper labor (and as a result usually lower quality) - eventually all that has to have a negative impact. Too much to do & not enough time to do it. It wouldn’t bother me one bit if they stretched the lifespan of platforms a few years longer but I doubt they’d ever do that. We’re being trained to be a throw away society. Gotta have the latest & greatest. Sorry, getting on a soapbox & not my thing. Just my opinion on a big ship that is really hard to turn on a dime.

Sorry to hear about that and i completely feel your pain. No need to apologize. Sometimes, one just needs to vent. 

This morning, i went for a drive with the radio off to see if i can readily duplicate all the issues i'm having that way if a loaner becomes available, i can quickly reproduce it for the tech. I definitely hear the squeak on startup for a few seconds then it goes away. Every time the truck auto-starts after a auto-stop, i hear the squeak. I have to remember to turn-off auto-start/stop so the squeak doesn't drive me insane. 

To make matters worse, i heard what sounded like a new problem. When i go over some bumps at moderate speed, i hear what sounds like a hollow squeak sound when the truck goes over the bump. Sounded like it was coming from the rear passenger side. I'm at 1100 miles right now. The truck was absolutely problem free within the first 500 miles. In my opinion, this is unacceptable for a vehicle that hovers over $60k but i digress. Like you, i'm trying to look at the bright side because the alternative is depressing. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that these are just QC issues and that they will all be fixed. Fingers crossed. 

I’ll chime in with an engine belt story although it sounds like what you guys are experiencing may not be as simple as a belt issue.

Back when, I had a 2003 Z06 that at about 6,000 miles started to make a squeaking sound from the engine bay at random RPM ranges.

I checked all the pulleys, water pump, Alternator, and AC compressor but still couldn’t find the squeak. I went ahead and replaced the belt with the high-end Gates belt from NAPA (not the gator back) and it reduced the squeak but did not eliminate it. It was driving me nuts. 

Now, I can’t remember how or why I decided to investigate the alternator but long story short, I found out that GM released a new design that incorporated a clutch system on the pulley which looked like a big hub on the front. The original alternator had just a plain pulley. So I bought the new alternator and behold, no more squeak! 

GM had found that the more powerful LS6 engine could lash the serpentine belt on acceleration or deceleration. The centrifugal clutch on the alternator was enough to smooth out the belt and keep it from lashing and squeaking. 

Again, this probably isn’t the culprit for your trucks but thought I’d share my squeaking V-8 story.

Update 9/6/19. I got my truck back last week on 8/28/19 with the new transmission. It did not fix the problem. I still hear the squeak, it is much less pronounced but I still hear it. So we decided to run the truck for a few thousand miles and see how the squeak progresses, then we will reassess it.  My dealerships service dept. is top notch and they mostly work on trucks which is 75% of their sales so they know them well. I personally know all the mechanics and the owners of the dealership as I do business with them on a daily basis, so I can trust everything they tell me about what is going on. We are going to keep working on finding the source of the squeak and I will update this thread as we go along. I love the truck and everything else about it is great. So for right now I just have to crank Metallica everywhere I go, which isn't a bad thing.

Edited by BeardBros

2 hours ago, BeardBros said:

Update 9/6/19. I got my truck back last week on 8/28/19 with the new transmission. It did not fix the problem. I still hear the squeak, it is much less pronounced but I still hear it. So we decided to run the truck for a few thousand miles and see how the squeak progresses, then we will reassess it.  My dealerships service dept. is top notch and they mostly work on trucks which is 75% of their sales so they know them well. I personally know all the mechanics and the owners of the dealership as I do business with them on a daily basis, so I can trust everything they tell me about what is going on. We are going to keep working on finding the source of the squeak and I will update this thread as we go along. I love the truck and everything else about it is great. So for right now I just have to crank Metallica everywhere I go, which isn't a bad thing.

Damn. Glad you got your truck back btw. Are they thinking the problem was unrelated to the transmission before? It seems odd for a new transmission to show the same issue unless this is a systemic issue for the 10-speed.