Squeaky belt or pulley on 6.2 HC

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a thread about squeaky belts and pulleys.  Those happen in the front, not the middle or rear.  No trans issues.  No exhaust flapper issues.  I had the squeaky belt issue, and I think the problem is one of the pulleys is misaligned.  One edge of my belt is showing a little bit of fraying.  However, I no longer have the sound on startup.  20,8xx miles on odometer. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/23/2021 at 1:03 PM, Moledigger2019 said:

Any one have black belt residue on the top of the block in front of the intake manifold. Had my belt replaced at 70k no more squeak.  Dealer said it could be a pully alignment issue. Looks like the alternator pully is wearing on belt.

We had black belt dust on our '21 5.3 at 6400 miles and the belt would squeak when cold (first few minutes idling). The dealer replaced the serpentine belt, AC belt, and idler pulley. So far it hasn't come back as of 11,700 miles. Our engine had been disassembled twice for lifter replacement so I presume re-stretching the belt twice caused the issue; these engines don't have belt tensioners anymore... great design...

2 hours ago, voided3 said:

We had black belt dust on our '21 5.3 at 6400 miles and the belt would squeak when cold (first few minutes idling). The dealer replaced the serpentine belt, AC belt, and idler pulley. So far it hasn't come back as of 11,700 miles. Our engine had been disassembled twice for lifter replacement so I presume re-stretching the belt twice caused the issue; these engines don't have belt tensioners anymore... great design...

Mine is doing the same thing.  Had the black dust everywhere and the same squeak.  Dealer replaced idler pulley under warranty but reused the old belt since they didn't have any and they are evidently on nationwide backorder.  Guess what...still squeaking.  They have ordered a new belt, but have no idea when it will come in.

3 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

Mine is doing the same thing.  Had the black dust everywhere and the same squeak.  Dealer replaced idler pulley under warranty but reused the old belt since they didn't have any and they are evidently on nationwide backorder.  Guess what...still squeaking.  They have ordered a new belt, but have no idea when it will come in.

If it happens again on ours, I'll probably seek out a better aftermarket belt, anyway. It's crazy to have a replace a part at 6400 miles that the manual states has a 150,000 mile service life, but I'm not too surprised considering the other issues I've had with the truck.

• 3 months later...
On 2/28/2021 at 7:58 PM, crowag2010 said:

Just bought a '21 AT4 with the 6.2 in January. Have about 2200 miles on it now, and I'm having the same issue. My truck came from the dealer with an upgraded exhaust and a K&N intake. It sounds like birds chirping/belt squealing. I really notice it when I'm coasting/slowing down and the truck downshifts around the 15mph mark. I can replicate it 95% of the time I would say. Very disappointed to hear this has been an issue that hasn't been addressed by GM! 

Crowag2010 - this sums up perfectly the noise I hear.  I described it to the dealer as a chirping / belt squealing sound when autostart engages or when it hits the 15mph mark.

I had the chirp as well.  Within 1k miles after hearing the chirp, the belt let loose.  I was a full days drive away from home but managed to Uber around to local parts stores, get a new belt and install it in a parking lot.   The front of the engine was covered in belt dust as others have mentioned above.

• 5 months later...

Mine is doing the same thing on my TB 6.2 2022, is just keeps getting worst as time goes on only has 6,000K on it... had it to the dealer 4 times now and there is no fix. they even gave me an extra 2 years warranty to shut me up, not going to happen!! 

21 hours ago, Joey P said:

Mine is doing the same thing on my TB 6.2 2022, is just keeps getting worst as time goes on only has 6,000K on it... had it to the dealer 4 times now and there is no fix. they even gave me an extra 2 years warranty to shut me up, not going to happen!! 

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Joey P.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2022 Trail Boss 6.2. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Joey P/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 2 weeks later...

Mine started the belt chirp noise when I got it back from the lifter repair.  They corrected both sides with push rods, lifters and springs.  It wasn't near as bad then as it is now.  I should have raised concern then but I didn't.  Now I am at 37k miles.  I'll check for the belt residue and probably just start purchasing parts.