Towing with a CBT

The wife and I are thinking of taking the kiddos on a camping trip and towing along a camping trailer.

The only problem is, I've never towed anything other than a small trailer for my bike. (No supporting brakes)

My question is: Will I be able to tow a camping trailer that has additional braking, even tho my CBT does not have the "brake tester" feature on the console?

Will the additional brakes on the trailer still work or will I be solely relying on the trucks brakes?

15628553985615304221459557424882.jpg

Edited by TrailBossST

15 minutes ago, bshort said:

Will not work and the trailer will shove you during braking.  

If the trailer has surge brakes it will work. 

What's a CBT?

If the trailer has surge brakes, no input from the truck is needed.

If it has electronically controlled brakes, you will need a trailer brake controller. Some trucks have them built in, some are sold with a cable to connect an auxiliary one, and some have none.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You need to provide more info on the trailer you want to pull. (length/weight) If it has electronic brakes, and your truck has a towing package, you should be able to plug a brake controller into the plug under the dash.

If you are trying to pull too large of a trailer with no brake controller, you should forget this idea and go rent an RV.

If the trailer has a 4 pin flat connector you should be fine. If it has a 7 pin round connector it likely has trailer brakes. Your truck doesn't have a trailer brake controller so you will need one installed depending on the camper size and brake set up. You can go to any camper place and get one for probably less than $200.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

I had a pop up camper that had a surge brake. Most hard sided travel trailers will have powered brakes I think but I am no expert.

Tents and older teardrops sometimes do.  

Don’t even think about towing a travel trailer without a brake controller! You will likely end up in a collision. It really has to do with stopped ability as stated above the trailer will push your truck forward... also the trailer will want to travel faster than your truck when slowing which will induce sway and possible roll over. I’m not trying to be drastic but it is the truth. My truck doesn’t have the integrated controller but my after market controller is plug in and play into the black box near the peddles.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the input.

We were just going to rent one. So I have no idea what plug it has or brakes.

What should I look for as far as brakes and wiring?

We don't want a huge one...something like 14ft or smaller.

3 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

If the trailer has a 4 pin flat connector you should be fine. If it has a 7 pin round connector it likely has trailer brakes. Your truck doesn't have a trailer brake controller so you will need one installed depending on the camper size and brake set up. You can go to any camper place and get one for probably less than $200.

Do you think I can get the factory brake controller installed at the Chevy house?

Go to the trailer place and talk to them.  They'll know if the trailer has brakes, and what you'll need for your vehicle to be able to tow it.  If it's at all a professional place, they won't let you rent it unless you can safely tow it.