2011 2500hd brake issue

My 2011 2500hd has developed a braking issue. When the brakes are applied sometimes, the pedal gets extremely firm and the brakes will drag. When the brakes do release you can hear and feel the pedal release and the truck jolt forward. The calipers are all recently new and the gearbox is new. The master was replaced prior to me purchasing it. No leaks of any kind. When the brakes stick, you can’t drive the truck over 30-40mph without it shaking and heating the trans up. I’m thinking it’s a push rod issue between the hydro and the master. When the brakes do lock up. Pulling the brake pedal backwards doesn’t do anything nor release the brakes. Also, I’ve used a temp gauge and all 4 calipers and rotors are around the same general temp when it happens. Which is leading me to the master and hydroboost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if the piston in the master cylinder is hanging up on some casting flash or something. Perhaps they installed the wrong part? If all 4 are indeed dragging, that's where I'd start looking. 

The master and hydro has been on the truck since I bought it 2 years ago. Trucks been fine till recently. Truck has been sitting a lot lately as I don’t really drive it anymore except for out of town or when tow camper and such.

check that the PS fluid is at the right level when warm?

might try unbolting the MC from the hydroboost unit (or just loosening it and pulling them slightly apart), to see if the hydroboost has failed internally and maybe PS fluid is pushing on the MC?

maybe flush the system with fresh brake fluid?

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may throw a master in it. It’s $85 from rock auto. I took the truck out of town with my 34ft camper. The brakes hung a few times and loosened up and have been fine. Now another thing that the truck does and has done since I got it is when you hit the brakes, say just sitting still. The power steering doesn’t work. You can’t turn the wheels when your on the brakes when the truck isn’t moving the truck also has 37 inch tires with 20x14 inch wheels.

check that the PS fluid is at the right level when warm?
might try unbolting the MC from the hydroboost unit (or just loosening it and pulling them slightly apart), to see if the hydroboost has failed internally and maybe PS fluid is pushing on the MC?
maybe flush the system with fresh brake fluid?

I checked the PS fluid and it’s high. It’s above the top hash mark.

I took the truck out or town pulling my camper. It acted up a few times on the way up but the brakes released and it was all good. Going home is a different story. Truck won’t do over 10mph because the brakes are locking up and now my trans is warm. When the brakes act up, the pedal is super stiff and sensitive. Also the brake pedal squeak and makes noise. It’s driving me crazy. Ive loosened the master a little from the HB and I can’t get them to separate. I’m gonna drain and pull the master totally off and see what the HB looks like inside. I have a feeling it’s the HB and not the master. I might just replace both. I’m at a loss.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the master off the booster. No leaks at all. Bone dry from both ends. Here was some corrosion and junk in the hydro side. I blew both sides out with air and then used wd40 on the hydro rod. Moved the brake in and out and sprayed the back end of the master. Got in the truck, started it up moved it a little and it felt a lot better. I’ll drive it around tomorrow to see what happens. Maybe I’ll get lucky and there was just some junk getting caught in the rod and causing it not to retract or something stupid.

Update. Drove the truck a few miles and thankfully, no brake issues. Just moving the truck yesterday in the back yard the brakes locked up and were acting up. The pedal feels much better. I’m assuming junk was getting caught up and making the master stick. No money spent, just about 2 hours of aggravation trying to get the master free.