2019 Paint blemish on tailgate

Has anyone had to have any type of paint issues warranted on their truck? I noticed a spot on the tailgate of my truck today, it’s a 2019 with 5,000 miles. It’s under the clear coat so I know it was something that happened at the factory. Kind of looks like a glare in the pics. Should I have any trouble having Gm take care of this? Thanks 

A89E9102-8733-44E2-BD53-B9811B3FE782.jpeg

4C34E95E-753D-4869-9356-E027020E9752.jpeg

Gm's newer paint process is just plain terrible imo, not only is the paint extremely thin and brittle, but they seem to have a difficult time with keeping the surface free of contaminants before the bots spray the body.

• Sad 1

On 7/13/2019 at 10:16 PM, Tischmic said:

Has anyone had to have any type of paint issues warranted on their truck? I noticed a spot on the tailgate of my truck today, it’s a 2019 with 5,000 miles. It’s under the clear coat so I know it was something that happened at the factory. Kind of looks like a glare in the pics. Should I have any trouble having Gm take care of this? Thanks 

My drivers front fender has the type of mark. I can only see it at a certain angle. 

With any metallic paint, the shimmer or shine (or dull spots) often depends on how the metallic flake lands when painted. That is why silver's are very noticeable when you repaint a panel compared to other panels beside it. If the flake 'stands up' a slight degree more, it is very noticeable as a dark spot. If it lays slightly more flat, it shows up as a light or dull spot. It all depends on the air pressure used when painting. You'd think a factory shouldn't have issues, but they do.

See what the dealership says.

Just my . 02 opinion, but unless the clearcoat is bubbled off the color coat, I'd leave it alone. Sure dealer is repainting, no skin off his nose,  he gets paid for repair by GM on a set scale. I wish you luck in getting a costly, durable top line refinishing.

Think you have problems now, wait until after a repaint. Original finish is baked on electrostatic colored dust covered by a water based clearcoat that presently matches other panels perfectly in color and reflectivity of finish. The clearcoat/color has to be completely stripped to do it right (clearcoat does not adhere properly to clearcoat....that's why you can't fill surface scratches with clearcoat ) and take the panel down to the primer/reprime. Think they'll remove the handle hardware and remove and reapply new emblems or just tape around it? What you'll likely get is a quickie sanding and a spot reflash of a localized area with an acrylic enamel and dusting of clearcoat which will look great enough to get rid you for now......but, time and temperature will determine how long it remains intact. Come time to trade and the used car manager goes over it with an electronic meter to determine paint thickness on all surfaces and then it's time for you to fill out a damage disclosure and take a hit on the trade value.

• Like 1