Post your T1 wheel/tire setup

9 hours ago, GETGONE said:

What diff cover is that?

Hey GETGONE, that is the Proform Bowtie diff cover in black crinkle finish. You can get them from Jegs, summit, or Amazon for around $180. This was the one that supposed to fit the 8.5 or 8.6 inch GM differential. They also make them for 7.5 inch and some others, too. I figured I’d give it a shot, and since LUBELOCKER made the reusable gasket for the 8.5” ‘corporate’ 10 bolt, I made a lucky guess that they would fit. Sure enough. Both went on without a hitch. I guess GM 8.5/8.6 and AAM 8.6 use the same carrier, just different internals. It doesn’t leak. I used Teflon tape on all the threads, even the bearing load bolts.

You’ll find that the bracket on top of the diff needs slight modification when you install, the bolt holes don’t quite line up for the two on top due to the new aluminum cover being slightly thicker (3/8”). No problem, couple of cable ties will hold it until I take it back off and elongate the holes about 1/8”. The photo is upside down (thanks, iPhone), but you can see a hint of the cable ties on the bracket where the welded nut is on the bottom.

image.thumb.jpg.d8d5b14e45ae603e7af0d34f5a412426.jpg

you’ll need to grind out the inner corners of the bracket that goes on the cover where the ribs of the cover contact it, so the bracket goes on flat. I just took mine to a bench grinder after marking it. After getting it right (no, it’s not that easy and I was up and down several times getting it just right), I was able to follow the bolt pattern on the Lubelocker box (for torque sequence), tightened them all down to 20 ft.-lbs. (bearing load bolts to a max of 10, jam nuts also 10), and installed the drain plug with Teflon tape. Filled with 2 quarts of LucasOil synthetic 75w-90, and put the fill plug in. She’s been a happy camper since. 

also, they come in a couple different finish options, too. I got the one that stood out the most to me. I believe you can get natural finish, and matte silver, too (not chrome). Additionally, they send two sets of stainless bolts to use. One is metric (what I used) and one is standard. Both take a 13mm or 1/2” socket.

Edited by s10dragracer888

I didn't originally look at the bolt count. You have the 4.3 and it has a 10 bolt instead of the AAM 9.5/9.6" 12 bolt that I have with my 6.2. The only cover I've found is the AFE, which I bought a used one that had been painted a metallic pink LOL. I stripped it and am going to paint it red.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GETGONE said:

I didn't originally look at the bolt count. You have the 4.3 and it has a 10 bolt instead of the AAM 9.5/9.6" 12 bolt that I have with my 6.2. The only cover I've found is the AFE, which I bought a used one that had been painted a metallic pink LOL. I stripped it and am going to paint it red.

Believe it or not, I think the AFE and the Proform are molded similar on the inside, and that’s what counts. Attached is the link to the one I got.

Proform 141-696 End Cover https://a.co/d/6OV4NfV

the reviews confirmed what I was saying about the Teflon on the bearing cap support bolts.

Don’t Teflon the cover bolts. Lol. I have seen it done and it’s not pretty.

I think LubeLocker makes a gasket for the AAM/GM 9.5 and 9.75. I could be wrong, but it doesn’t hurt to find out. It is multi-layer, steel core, and reusable.

hot pink? I have a guy friend that just might want to buy that as is. He drives a Ford! 😂

I thought the 6.2 was supposed to come with the 10-speed and the 9.75” rear differential?

I modified my front cover as well. It’s on the mods page, I made my own post. Here’s what I found out about those front ones.

It’s hit or miss with the other trims, but all trail boss and AT4 models come with the AAM 8.25” front differential. SU5.

I’m fairly certain the custom, work truck and some “lesser optioned” LTs come with the SU4 front axle. I’m thinking it’s an 8”…. The high country and some LTs might come with the SU5. Im not sure but I’m also thinking the 6.2 always gets the bigger front diff. SU5.

You can modify both SU4 and SU5 front covers like I did mine. I did it solely so I can drain and fill in a fraction of the time it takes to remove the stupid cover. Yes, I said it like that because I became extremely angry trying to get the front cover off. Top 4 or 5 bolts are next to impossible without the right tools. Air ratchet didn’t even reach. 🙄🙄🙄

7 hours ago, s10dragracer888 said:

I thought the 6.2 was supposed to come with the 10-speed and the 9.75” rear differential?

Well the cover is listed as 9.5/9.76 for the AAM 12 bolt. I stated the wrong measurement in my last post off the top of my head. For the price I bought it for I was able to purchase the site glass and deep magnetic fill plug and still be less than the street series cover new.

https://afepower.com/afe-power-46-71120a-street-series-differential-cover-raw-w-machined-fins

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GETGONE said:

Well the cover is listed as 9.5/9.76 for the AAM 12 bolt. I stated the wrong measurement in my last post off the top of my head. For the price I bought it for I was able to purchase the site glass and deep magnetic fill plug and still be less than the street series cover new.

https://afepower.com/afe-power-46-71120a-street-series-differential-cover-raw-w-machined-fins

I see what you mean. Seems as though y’all have the same issue with the AAM/GM differences that I had with the front. Hard to tell what comes from where.

I’m confused about the rear diff cover.  I have a 2020 Silverado 1500 5.3 with 4 wheel drive and I recently purchased a B&M Aluminum rear diff cover (9.50/9.76) part number 137877 and it would not fit. So I called B&M tech support and I was told that I have an RPO SU8 and NOT an RPO SU7 and they (B&M) does not make the RPO SU8.   The B&M cover I purchased was visibly different than what my truck has.  Does this make any sense to anyone?

1 hour ago, Tdola said:

I’m confused about the rear diff cover.  I have a 2020 Silverado 1500 5.3 with 4 wheel drive and I recently purchased a B&M Aluminum rear diff cover (9.50/9.76) part number 137877 and it would not fit. So I called B&M tech support and I was told that I have an RPO SU8 and NOT an RPO SU7 and they (B&M) does not make the RPO SU8.   The B&M cover I purchased was visibly different than what my truck has.  Does this make any sense to anyone?

Look at the pictures and the AFE web link I provided. They have a side by side picture comparison of the two different RPO covers.

Anyone know what the maximum tire size/offset combo is that would fit a 2021 Sierra (Denali - not sure if that matters), or know if there are guides on how to measure this online? Sorry - I've looked through lots of these pages but not sure this specific thing was asked anywhere in the thread

275/60/R20 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek

Bilstein 5100 all-around. 2" front setting. 1" block in rear.

XF Offroad XF222

Been on this setup for 2 years. 

image.thumb.png.7b37462b150642f9b1063d58a4ff52c4.png

image.thumb.png.747d41ad662d565044bbf770c8a902b9.png