Starting to regret buying black

I know black shows everything, but it seems like I keep finding small blemishes here and there every time I look at my truck. Here is a recent one that doesn’t just seem to rub out quickly. I haven’t spent a lot of time on it as I’m not sure the best way to tackle it without wasting time or making things worse.  Any suggestions on something that might get it to come out?   

81249C63-3B0A-4097-99DC-96678E7E205C.jpeg

I  have had too many black vehicles to count. My suggestion if buy a Porter Cable random orbital buffer and learn to use it. It is very quick and isn't a tool that will mess up your paint if you use it right. I would be okay with my 9yr old using it. 

Mequires swirl mark remover and then hand wax it. You'll get pretty good at it and you only have to do it once or twice a year.

Good luck... nothing better than a black vehicle when its clean!

I would start with Meguiar’s Ultimate Polish (it’s even finer than the Ultimate Compound) and work it with a foam applicator by hand using even pressure.

That method is about as least aggressive as possible, and since you’re near the edge of a panel you don’t want to overwork it.

Many a fool have made things worse chasing perfection. This looks like the sort of blemish that is easily seen at night with a spotlight, but not noticeable in daylight.

Agree on the Porter Cable random orbital buffer.

I use one.

But use the buffer to apply wax also.

Works the wax into the paint surface far better than by hand.

Lots of choices for wax.

Yes on Meguires swirl remover. It's a fine polishing compound.

I use Meguires Mirror Glaze Synthetic 2.0 

14df7984-a9f8-4a66-ab20-b3562e18e6e4_2.d

Easy on and off.

Wash truck.

Clay bar.

Swirl remover truck.

Wax with Meguires 2.0.

:)

2 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Agree on the Porter Cable random orbital buffer.

I use one.

But use the buffer to apply wax also.

Works the wax into the paint surface far better than by hand.

Lots of choices for wax.

Yes on Meguires swirl remover. It's a fine polishing compound.

I use Meguires Mirror Glaze Synthetic 2.0 

14df7984-a9f8-4a66-ab20-b3562e18e6e4_2.d

Easy on and off.

Wash truck.

Clay bar.

Swirl remover truck.

Wax with Meguires 2.0.

:)

Couldn't agree more. And for $100ish to buy the orbital buffer (only buy the Porter Cable!!!) it is a no brainer. Super easy to use and it really does clean up the paint.

I just don't like slopping wax everywhere! Haha. I've only tried that application a few times and for me, by hand is easier/quicker.

Have to disagree with the buffer in this case anyway, it’s a half dollar sized blemish at the edge of a panel. It looks to me like most of the “damage” was made by someone trying to get the damage out with a compound and/or rag that was too aggressive. Need a fine polish and a gentle touch, not a buffer to do the whole truck...

• Like 1

I love black vehicles.  But I'm also a busy person and love drive through car washes.  So I have a white truck.

Get used to it, unless you are super anal about caring for it and handwash with a diaper every 3 days, it will be constant.  When they are perfect they look amazing though.

2 hours ago, BringTheRain403 said:

I still think we need a picture in the day light before we judge anything. A picture in the dark with a flash is a horrible way to judge what's going on here

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Here it is parked in the sun as best as I could at my place. 

A4DF071D-28A8-4F3F-9F6F-4D71C8934839.jpeg

Have you been doing lots of rubbing compound on that spot?  Hard to tell from the photo, but looks like maybe you have worn through your clearcoat?  

What are all those white streaks?

1 minute ago, scdaren said:

Have you been doing lots of rubbing compound on that spot?  Hard to tell from the photo, but looks like maybe you have worn through your clearcoat?  

What are all those white streaks?

I’ve had it less than 2 months and have only washed it using mild soap and the occasional meguiars ultimate quick detailer as needed.  Been waiting to get it in with a buddy of mine to have ceramic coating done, but our schedules haven’t matched up.

The white streaks in the photo are the light/sky coming through the trees. It was hard to get a decent photo with it reflecting everything. This was the best I could do at the time.