Well.....finally !!!!!! Pulled the trigger..2018 Sierra Denali Ultimate 6.2

Never thought in a million years would I be typing these words in this forum.  I've been an extremely long time lurker on here.   Always asking questions(sometimes stupid ones) and trying to do as much research as possible, gathering info, thoughts and opinions.   Last Saturday the Mrs, our kids and I went out to the dentist for wife's appointment  and on our way back home we stopped in at the GM dealer.  It was actually my wifes idea, as she knows I was kinda bummed out on losing out on a really clean 2018 GM Executive driven  Silverado LTZ 1500 Crew Cab Z71 pretty much loaded up.  The sales guy sold it before I could get a chance to sit down and make a deal on it.  That is another story in itself.  Fast forward the clock a week later.   I see the dealer is advertising "  2018 Inventory Blow Out ", so I walk in and ask if he had any Denali's leftover.  Had 3 of them 2 white and 1 black.    He grabs the dealer plate, drives it around front and tells me it's running, doesn't have much gas in it so don't go too far.   Take your wife and kids for a drive and tell me what you think.  The sales guy never asked me for a drivers licence, credit card or anything.  Infact I can't remember telling  him my name....lol.  Anyways, we took it out.   2018 White Frost Tricoat Sierra Denali 1500 Ultimate,  22" wheels  with the 6.2 and 8 speed.   Took awhile to get used to as the last pickup I've owned was a 1998 GMC 1500 extended cab Z71.   Wow....they've come a long way.   I drive all kinds of pickups at work, mainly F-150's and Rams, so I'm no stranger to pickups.   At work however they are fairly basic trucks.  XLT and the really cheap version of the Rams, SXT or whatever.   Anyways.  this Denali is incredible.  Extremely quiet cab, awesome Bose stereo and very luxurious interior.  I haven't really put my foot into yet, but this thing has got a lot of juice...

The cylinder deactivation or AFM whatever it's called is kinda weird....never driven a vehicle with it.  Felt like a vibration, hard to explain it.   Is the green car symbol showing you that it's in that mode ?    Please forgive me as I'm learning some of the stuff, it's all high tech and I'm not the most tech savvy person.   Before you guys post the "  This thread is worthless without pics "...title....I have absolutely no clue as to how to post a picture.  The white frost tri coat is an awesome colour.  I know years ago the older white pearl colors  had a yellowish sort of hue and kinda even looked biege sometimes.  But I can honestly say this color is sweet !!!!   I only hope I can fit it into the garage.   Many thanks to all the folks here  who put up with my repetitive questions about fuel economy, the chevy shake, transmission clunk questions, etc, etc....I appreciate all of your help guys.  I love the new AT4 but they really were'nt offering as good incentives as the 2018 models, which is understandable.   I honestly think the 2018 interior looks nicer...JMHO.

As for now, not too much planned for mods.  The sales guy threw in some WeatherTech floor liners front and rear which was kinda nice of him.   I tried for a tonneau cover but he would'nt go for it.   I'm looking and asking for your opinions on hard tonneau covers.  Maybe the Bakflip,  Under armor flex ? not sure if that's what it's called.   Any advice would be greatly appreciated.   Sorry for the long post fellas.  Just on top of the world right now !!!?

Welcome! 

Congratulations!

I also upgraded from 1997 1500 5.7 4x4 Z71 to a 2018 crew cab 6.2L. They have come a long way in 20 years. Let’s hope they are as reliable as the GMT400’s 1988 - 1998. 

I have a Extang Solid Fold 2.0 Tonneau Cover.

Not impressed. It cost near $800. At least I got free husky front floor mats $120 retail. It leaks in several places (one of the folds, front and side seals). Also moves around on bumpy paved roads. Yes the front clamps are tight. Their customer service didn’t care when I reported issues. 

For the good, it has not faded after a year in high altitude sun. The thick panels are a good insulator from the suns heat (top hot to touch) bottom barley warm. It is easy to remove if full bed access is needed. It is fairly secure (can’t be lifted up with tailgate locked. 

Edited by 2018GMC

Green car symbol is the forward automatic low speed braking telling you it sees car in front of you and you are at safe distance. It will turn orange if you get too close and then eventually red alert lights on windshield and automatic brake if you are within spitting distance of their rear bumper. 

You can can drive in L7 to disable v4 mode or buy a range disable device for $200 new or ~ $100 - 150 USED. 

Edited by 2018GMC

Thanks gents....gonna try and figure out how to post some pics as soon as I can .  The cooled seats are a really nice feature, yesterday was pretty darn hot and you really feel the comfort of the cool air especially if wearing shorts. I asked the sales guy if he knew about the rear window defroster recall and didn’t have a clue.  The lady who took care of the financial and extended warranty said if there were any outstanding recalls on the truck that they have to do them before they can release the truck to me.   So far I really like the Bak Lip MX4 or G2,  really nice units.  I didn’t realize Weather Tech had one out  also .

I have a 2017 same truck only in Slate Grey w/6.2 and I cannot feel AFM at all.  No problems in almost 2 yrs and 23,000 miles.  I looked, no rear slider defroster recall so I don't know where you heard that.  Often times all models are painted with a problem that only affected a few vehicles in earlier years. 

https://my.gmc.com/recalls

Currently, there are no recalls or programs associated with your 2017 GMC Sierra 1500

• VIN: 3GTU2PEJ9HG483XXX

Edited by elcamino

Congrats! 

Consumer Reports also says there are no recalls on my new 2018 Sierra but the dealer put a piece of paper in the glovebox that says the fuse for the rear defrost was pulled as a temporary fix for the recall related to the rear sliding windows exploding. 

1 hour ago, elcamino said:

I have a 2017 same truck only in Slate Grey w/6.2 and I cannot feel AFM at all.  No problems in almost 2 yrs and 23,000 miles.  I looked, no rear slider defroster recall so I don't know where you heard that.  Often times all models are painted with a problem that only affected a few vehicles in earlier years. 

Currently, there are no recalls or programs associated with your 2017 GMC Sierra 1500

The “recall” is only for Canadian trucks at this time. The “fix” is they pull the fuse rendering the rear defrost useless... 

link to thread with recall posted

2 hours ago, elcamino said:

Sorry elcamino;  forgot to mention that I’m in Ontario , Canada .  I found out about the recall here on this forum.  No need now for a window defroster as it’s blistering hot as we speak.  Don’t even have 60 miles (100 kms) on her yet , as the selling dealer was fairly close to my home.  

Thanks gents....gonna try and figure out how to post some pics as soon as I can .  The cooled seats are a really nice feature, yesterday was pretty darn hot and you really feel the comfort of the cool air especially if wearing shorts. I asked the sales guy if he knew about the rear window defroster recall and didn’t have a clue.  The lady who took care of the financial and extended warranty said if there were any outstanding recalls on the truck that they have to do them before they can release the truck to me.   So far I really like the Bak Lip MX4 or G2,  really nice units.  I didn’t realize Weather Tech had one out  also .
I have the Backflip G2 and I love it. Its secure and low profile.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joe98 said:

Sorry elcamino;  forgot to mention that I’m in Ontario , Canada .  I found out about the recall here on this forum.  No need now for a window defroster as it’s blistering hot as we speak.  Don’t even have 60 miles (100 kms) on her yet , as the selling dealer was fairly close to my home.  

Why is a Canadian delivered truck different from one across the lake in Michigan?

1 hour ago, elcamino said:

Why is a Canadian delivered truck different from one across the lake in Michigan?

To be honest with you I don’t think that there are any differences.... look the same to me.  I don’t know if my dealer pulled the fuse on the rear window defroster.   I’ll call this week to find out.  If anything your Michigan winters are even more severe than ours, taking into account the lake effect snow...