Recalibrating the T1 speedometer

I'm wondering what you guys are doing to recalibrate the speedometer after installing the lift kit.  Are you getting the programmer and doing it yourself, or having the dealer do it?

My dealer told me two things:

1. We can recalibrate to the largest size tire available from the factory.

2. If you recalibrate yourself it will void the warranty as you aren't allowed to modify anything in the computer.

I think some people are doing it themselves and just clearing it before taking it in for dealer work.  This doesn't leave any traces? Just curious what everyone is doing.

Edited by Rob41

Good luck I've been trying to figure out the same thing on how to reprogram it my dealer said they can't do it and they told me if I were to put an after-market one in there that it would change the serial number that has been installed from Factory and then they know you've done something

That's correct.  If you do it yourself you own it, your drivetrain warranty is toast.  That's why I'm having my dealership do it so the speedo will at least be close.  After the warranty expires (naturally) I'll reprogram it to be more accurate.

Hypertech in-line speedometer calibrator. Set factory tire size and what you’re running now, plug in and go. If you ever need to take it to the dealer just take it out. Doesn’t re-write anything because it’s an independent module just feeding updated info to the ecu. The dealerships by me are all using them on the trucks they’re lifting because there is no other way to get the speedo, odometer and mileage calculation proper.

• Like 1

Sorry but some wrong info in here.

1-The lift itself doesn't need reprogram. Tire size yes. 

2- tires do need a recalibration

3- I don't understand what this 109 speed is all about but you can program to any number you wish in the factory computer.

4- absolutely does NOT void powertrain warranty there are federal laws about this. 

5- tune doesn't change your serial numbers. I can pull the vehicle info and see it is the same.

6- my deal and the Chevrolet dealer down from them have a dozen huge lift trucks with wheels, also supercharged trucks all 100% warranty as any new vehicle.

7- and most important dealer doesn't make these calls GM does. Dealer is NOT GM they are a 3rd part  service a sale location. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Sorry but some wrong info in here.

1-The lift itself doesn't need reprogram. Tire size yes. 

2- tires do need a recalibration

3- I don't understand what this 109 speed is all about but you can program to any number you wish in the factory computer.

4- absolutely does NOT void powertrain warranty there are federal laws about this. 

5- tune doesn't change your serial numbers. I can pull the vehicle info and see it is the same.

6- my deal and the Chevrolet dealer down from them have a dozen huge lift trucks with wheels, also supercharged trucks all 100% warranty as any new vehicle.

7- and most important dealer doesn't make these calls GM does. Dealer is NOT GM they are a 3rd part  service a sale location. 

1. Thanks for stating the obvious. ?

2. See above.  ?

3. Okay

4. That is not accurate.  You are correct that a dealer/GM cannot simply void your warranty because you installed a lift, however people are going to get the wrong impression with your statement. Federal law i.e. Magnuson-Moss act, protects the consumer making it illegal for the dealer/manufacturer to require the consumer to use only manufacturer parts and only installed by the manufacturer.  That is the reason the Magnuson-Moss act exists.

What federal law does NOT do is force any manufacturer to warranty their product that has been modified to something different than what the engineers designed.  What does that mean?  What that means is that if youy install a lift kit with larger/heavier wheels and tires the manufacturer is VERY unlikely to warranty wheel hub bearings, tie rod ends, u-joints, cv joints, axles, transmission, engine and any other component they believe caused any additional stress on any of those components beyond their original design.

They cannot simply deny the warranty altogether but they can and do deny a specific claim citing your modification led to the failure. The huge increase in unsprung weight in the drive line and suspension does not have zero impact. How many people are really going to try to take GM to court, and for the rare person that does they will likely lose.  Unfortunately, the majority of people will not be lucky enough to have a dealer that tries to push through this kind of warranty work.  If you have a dealer that does you are lucky.

As for SEMA attorney's constantly citing lifts/larger wheels and tires will not effect factory warranty's, consider the source.  They are attorney's for an industry of aftermarket parts and they represent their interests.

The lift manufacturers love to cite their "add on" warranty to give the consumer the illusion they have nothing to be concerned about.  I spoke with ReadyLift about their warranty and asked them how many times they have paid out on a claim and the rep gleefully said ZERO!  They were boasting on how good their product is, and it may be but it told me....good luck getting a repair paid for once the OEM decides a failure occurred due to modifications beyond their original design.

5. A tune leaves a notification that GM can see, and as stated above, they cannot legally outright deny all warranty work, they will deny the repair based on alteration of the ECU.  In line tuners/calibrators do not do this and you only need to remove the device prior to a dealer visit.

6. I seriously doubt your dealer is covering the warranties on those vehicles, at least any parts of the warranties effected by the modifications. When dealers sell lifted trucks like from Black Widow, whatever is effected by the modifications is covered by that company....not the dealer and definately not GM. GM has NEVER and will NEVER cover damage to an engine or drivetrain on a vehicle that has had an aftermarket blower install.

7. See item No. 1

You say GM covers these things under warranty.  If that is really the case then simply provide a letter on this forum from GM stating the factory drive train, suspension and  steering warranties will remain fully in tact.  Unfortunately you cannot because they do not.

I appreciate your enthusiasm as I like lifted trucks and my 2019 T1 goes in Tuesday for a 4" lift and 35's.  However, I have no illusions about the potential to have warranty claims denied based on GM's premise that these modifications altered the factory design leading to additional stress beyond what the parts were designed for.

The overwhelming majority of dealers and GM are not as willing to work with these issues as your local dealer may be. 

I hope others will do their own homework on this topic before accepting posts on the net as gospel. 

Edited by Rob41
  • Like 1

Just to get back to the original post, I'll be having the dealer adjust the speedometer calibration to the largest tire size available for my model T1.  They told me this is all GM will allow them to do.  This should get me pretty close but if it's too far off I'll get the Hypertec in-line calibrator and just remember to remove it from the truck before I go to the dealer for anything. I'll post an update on the outcome onec my work is done next week.  :)

On 7/29/2019 at 8:00 PM, Hueless said:

Hypertech in-line speedometer calibrator. Set factory tire size and what you’re running now, plug in and go. If you ever need to take it to the dealer just take it out. Doesn’t re-write anything because it’s an independent module just feeding updated info to the ecu. The dealerships by me are all using them on the trucks they’re lifting because there is no other way to get the speedo, odometer and mileage calculation proper.

What he said.  Hypertech in-line speedometer calibrator is easy to install and mine has worked flawlessly for 4 months.

• Like 2

I personally know the gm reps and in fact have a email that states much more in depth on how it works and also how they handle it. This is from the mouth of GM. Also know owners of dealerships and have a great working understanding of how it plays.
I will agree that every dealer can possibly treat you different. This will always be the case.
All trucks carry factory full coverage lifted and supercharged ones also.
I have also done tunes and even GM prototypes testing in calibrating and national recall in electrical and software issues.
Here is a buzz kill for you. A device that modifies the single can also be seen in the full history report of the truck. I have posted this many times with photos. Mybtruck says light circuit low high. Says sub circuit open. And about 2 dozen more.
As far as service goes they will service it then if it is do to wear based on parts that is different. But to just go straight to mod equals no warranty and service is ridiculous.
Hate to pay the sticker on this showroom truck and come back no warranty. Pictures are on the showroom floor on brand new truck. Out side there are 8 or more brand new trucks with huge lifts and tires and bumpers.

Back to the point will a tire recalibration void a drivetrain warranty. NO. They have to state how it did that aka the software value that causes x.
Please stop listening to the person selling you a product and his verbal promise or claims. If a dealer is like that find a new dealer or call your rep.4581a478b5aa1795cad3567774b4b8fa.jpg52e936281b15f4ed015dc7b6f6c4a028.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, Sotally Tober said:

What he said.  Hypertech in-line speedometer calibrator is easy to install and mine has worked flawlessly for 4 months.

DO you have to turn the cruise on every time you start the pickup ? 

On 8/2/2019 at 10:31 AM, Rob41 said:

1. Thanks for stating the obvious. ?

2. See above.  ?

3. Okay

4. That is not accurate.  You are correct that a dealer/GM cannot simply void your warranty because you installed a lift, however people are going to get the wrong impression with your statement. Federal law i.e. Magnuson-Moss act, protects the consumer making it illegal for the dealer/manufacturer to require the consumer to use only manufacturer parts and only installed by the manufacturer.  That is the reason the Magnuson-Moss act exists.

What federal law does NOT do is force any manufacturer to warranty their product that has been modified to something different than what the engineers designed.  What does that mean?  What that means is that if youy install a lift kit with larger/heavier wheels and tires the manufacturer is VERY unlikely to warranty wheel hub bearings, tie rod ends, u-joints, cv joints, axles, transmission, engine and any other component they believe caused any additional stress on any of those components beyond their original design.

They cannot simply deny the warranty altogether but they can and do deny a specific claim citing your modification led to the failure. The huge increase in unsprung weight in the drive line and suspension does not have zero impact. How many people are really going to try to take GM to court, and for the rare person that does they will likely lose.  Unfortunately, the majority of people will not be lucky enough to have a dealer that tries to push through this kind of warranty work.  If you have a dealer that does you are lucky.

As for SEMA attorney's constantly citing lifts/larger wheels and tires will not effect factory warranty's, consider the source.  They are attorney's for an industry of aftermarket parts and they represent their interests.

The lift manufacturers love to cite their "add on" warranty to give the consumer the illusion they have nothing to be concerned about.  I spoke with ReadyLift about their warranty and asked them how many times they have paid out on a claim and the rep gleefully said ZERO!  They were boasting on how good their product is, and it may be but it told me....good luck getting a repair paid for once the OEM decides a failure occurred due to modifications beyond their original design.

5. A tune leaves a notification that GM can see, and as stated above, they cannot legally outright deny all warranty work, they will deny the repair based on alteration of the ECU.  In line tuners/calibrators do not do this and you only need to remove the device prior to a dealer visit.

6. I seriously doubt your dealer is covering the warranties on those vehicles, at least any parts of the warranties effected by the modifications. When dealers sell lifted trucks like from Black Widow, whatever is effected by the modifications is covered by that company....not the dealer and definately not GM. GM has NEVER and will NEVER cover damage to an engine or drivetrain on a vehicle that has had an aftermarket blower install.

7. See item No. 1

You say GM covers these things under warranty.  If that is really the case then simply provide a letter on this forum from GM stating the factory drive train, suspension and  steering warranties will remain fully in tact.  Unfortunately you cannot because they do not.

I appreciate your enthusiasm as I like lifted trucks and my 2019 T1 goes in Tuesday for a 4" lift and 35's.  However, I have no illusions about the potential to have warranty claims denied based on GM's premise that these modifications altered the factory design leading to additional stress beyond what the parts were designed for.

The overwhelming majority of dealers and GM are not as willing to work with these issues as your local dealer may be. 

I hope others will do their own homework on this topic before accepting posts on the net as gospel. 

You missed one important fact from the Magnussen-Moss act in order to deny a warranty claim they must PROVE the modification caused the failure. Not that most people will ever take it that far. I ran tunes for years and never had an issue on Pontiacs, and I was challenged. I told them prove it caused any problem. I even had a sticker under the hood with the tuners name. 

• Like 1

I didn't miss it, I just didn't mention it.  Here is the scenario.  You make a modification and your engine or transmission fails. In all likelyhood it was unrelated to your mod but the dealer, or the dealer via the OEM denies the repair under warranty.  Now what?  Well you make dozens of phone calls trying to get it covered under warranty but they still refuse.  Now the only option is to take GM to court and sue them for the repair.  I'm not an attorney but I think they would spare no expense in squashing the claim as it would open up a whole can of worms for them if a precedence was set.

I'm really happy there are some dealers out there willing to venture off of GM's directives from time to time.  I just want to make sure people are proceeding with their eyes open to the potential risks.  I'm willing to assume the risk because I can pay for whatever happens if need be. Hopefully I won't have any issues.

8 minutes ago, Sotally Tober said:

Not sure what you mean.  It's a module you plug in a forget.  

I had read somewhere yo had to turn on cruise every time you stared vehicle . Good to hear it is just plug and play