Anyone done custom exhaust on a 2.7 yet?

I would love to hear a custom exhaust mod on the 2.7L. 

I was next to a new Raptor with a custom exhaust the other day at a stoplight. When he mashed the gas after the light turned green, I just laughed and laughed at the sound coming out of his rear end. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing that I have heard of. I'm not sure how good it would sound, to be honest. It breathes pretty well, stock.

The 2.7 has a prominent exhaust note resonating from the downpipe, but not much at the tip. It spends a lot of its time at low RPM and in boost, quietly grumbling away under the hood. It doesn't like to rev - I could imagine that anything aftermarket is going to just be a loud buzz when you do get the revs up.

It's got more than enough power for anything most people would throw at it - I tow ~4,500lb every weekend and not once has it ever felt like it was having to work hard. You can tell how flat the torque curve is by the way it drives - it feels lazy until you look at the speedometer and realize the rate at which you are accelerating - it's a bit anticlimactic and just goes.

Edited by MDSilveradoGuy

Usually the 4-6 cylinder engines start to sound good in the upper RPM range. My wife’s 01 Acura sounds pretty good past 6K to the 8500 red line. V8s sound good just opening the exhaust, 4-6s need tuned exhaust or high RPMs to sound good. Younger people from the fast and furious generation may have a different take on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/9/2019 at 11:53 AM, KARNUT said:

Usually the 4-6 cylinder engines start to sound good in the upper RPM range. My wife’s 01 Acura sounds pretty good past 6K to the 8500 red line. V8s sound good just opening the exhaust, 4-6s need tuned exhaust or high RPMs to sound good. Younger people from the fast and furious generation may have a different take on that.

The 2.7 redlines at 5,600 and you have to wail on it to make it get up there. It has the audible qualities of a Hyster forklift running across a factory at speed when wound up. 

Its not not what I would call an enthusiast’s engine for someone who likes to wind them out. I can’t believe GM is going to try putting it in a Cadillac.

Edited by MDSilveradoGuy

The 2.7 redlines at 5,600 and you have to wail on it to make it get up there. It has the audible qualities of a Hyster forklift running across a factory at speed when wound up. 

Its not not what I would call an enthusiast’s engine for someone who likes to wind them out. I can’t believe GM is going to try putting it in a Cadillac.

I would have guessed 6500RPMs on a 4 turbo. I had some big blocks I would build to rev higher.

12 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I would have guessed 6500RPMs on a 4 turbo. I had some big blocks I would build to rev higher.

Nope - it very much feels/runs like a diesel in terms of power output and willingness to rev.

• 6 months later...

Except for the Borla S being wheezy and whiny and the Flowmaster super 10 sounding the best.  ALL the others sound almost identical to me. 

I think the Flowmaster super 10 is the best.

On 2/20/2020 at 10:17 AM, teej750 said:

Except for the Borla S being wheezy and whiny and the Flowmaster super 10 sounding the best.  ALL the others sound almost identical to me. 

I think the Flowmaster super 10 is the best.

I liked the ATAK.  Could hear the spool better.  

Went thru trials when I did mine. 

1st attempt was with a Carven TR replacing the muffler with no resonator. M*****F**** was loud and riced out and the fact that it resonated so bad no matter what rpm. 2nd attempt was with the biggest magnaflow 3" in and out I could find. It did quiet it down but the annoying drone was still there. 3rd attempt was when I placed the stock resonator back in. This setup was good enough to the point were my ears werent hurting due to the drone and could actually daily drive it.I dont have a sound clip but it does sound way better than any other modded exhaust 4 cylinder. Tested how it would sound if I had an intake by removing the filter and leaving the box open for the moment. The turbo whistle and spool is strong like a diesel. 

I’ve owned factory performance 4 and 6 cylinder cars the wife’s cars. They work real hard at tuning the exhaust and sound pretty good. Unlike V-8s where you can throw almost any exhaust and sound good, it can and has been done. 

• 2 years later...