GM OEM Spray Foam Insulation

56 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

yes I do.

It should be found by 3m it has a very special 2 part application gun. Only think I don't know is the exact product as there are a few to pick. NVH foam

10748ggif_00000004757.gif

That’s a huge help! Thank you. Nothing like rigging up some lighting to keep working after dark. 

F26B5769-9BC8-408D-B64E-C501211A45F1.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, [email protected] said:

What are you doing inside your truck?

I’m sound deadening it. 

4 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Are you spray foaming the floor of your truck? For what reason? They are the quietest trucks I have ever ridden in and hold cabin temp quite well in -40c Canadian temps with no winter front. Putting some big subwoofers in? 

I’m putting down butyl rubber then neoprene on top. Then, I’d like to fill in some of the void spaces with foam. When I got my first Sierra back in late 2013c I agree, it was one of the quietest vehicle I had ever owned.

Fast forward to this truck + long tube headers dumped before the rear wheel and well, 95 decibels cruising on the highway at 70mph just isn’t fun. Also, after 5 years of use, every creak and squeak that the plastic parts can make, well they’re making them. 

The disassembly was way easier than I thought it would be. I learned a lot. I also found a ground that was corroded so I cleaned all of them, put some dielectric grease and re-tightened. Fun project but time consuming. 

On 8/4/2019 at 5:40 AM, 300 Blackout said:

Because it doesn’t expand. Also, not sure how well it cures in an enclosed space.

It will cure fine if it has the appropriate time. I wouldn't want to put anything that expands in, just going to make reassembly harder. Also I'd want something that wouldn't trap moisture between the floor panel and whatever you put on top.

So Ive got 2 numbers for you and that's as follows..
3M 8463 Felixible Foam
3M 8458 Pillar Foam (Rigid) adds strength to pillar

Thank you. The 3M 8463 is what I found that the body shops use to replace the OEM flexible foam after a collision repair. Unfortunately it’s about $45 for 200ml. But that’s probably the route I’m going to go. The main area I’m gonna use foam is just under the rear window and the B & C pillars.

It will cure fine if it has the appropriate time. I wouldn't want to put anything that expands in, just going to make reassembly harder. Also I'd want something that wouldn't trap moisture between the floor panel and whatever you put on top.

All of the exposed areas of the floor have already been insulated with butyl rubber and neoprene, using silicone as the adhesive. The reason for a liquid expanding foam product is only to reach some of the enclosed void space, like inside the pillars. An expanding foam product would be idea for that purpose. I read a lot about Lizard Skin. Seems like a really good product, but not ideal for this purpose.