In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
bigskyboarder

Transmission whine/grind when rpms drop below 2000rpm

I'm trying to buy a 2004 Silverado 1500hd with the 6.0 and 4l80e. When test driving the transmission would shift through all the gears fine but if you let off the gas as soon as the rpms hit 2000 they would drop to 1500 to 1000 and there would be a loud grind/whine until you tapped the gas again. I'm assuming it's the transmission, maybe the torque converter. Any help would be great so I can figure out if the transmission would have to be rebuilt or if it's something simpler to fix

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By tjaudet829
      2015 sierra denali 5.3l trans failed at 100,400 miles was flushed at 75k
      I had bought 100k extended warranty that ran out 300 miles ago. I am hoping GMPP does the right thing here.
      Also I was notified the week previous that my magnaride struts are leaking and wont warranty them. Seems ridiculous to me these thing all failed at 100k
    • By sunshinemb20
      My 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 won't shift into overdrive. -It started with, my check engine light came on Blinking the other day but then the light shut off almost immediately. I had pulled over, once the check engine light shut off moments later I went to pull back out and the truck wouldn't shift into overdrive. The light has come on a couple of times before but it was never blinking and usually a couple days later it would just shut of on it's own before we could get it looked at. Does anyone have any Ideas as to what might be going on? - And please tell me it's a cheap fix, HAHAHA 
    • By Frankieb51
      2015 Chevy Suburban with 130k, transmission went just like everyone else's, so I had it rebuilt at a outside shop with a trusted mechanic but I keep on having to bring it back. He rebuilt it and it took a week for the converter and the new gears to shift smoothly once again (normal). But now Im having problems with the temperature. My transmission temp is skyrocketing to 260 degrees with no check engine light coming on. After doing further investagation and taking the dipstick out and looking at the fluid and touching the stick it wasn't burnt or hot at all. The stick was cold. This is causing both my fans to blow cold air which is doing nothing and the temperature stays. The engine temperature is normal around 190. I love these trucks but with the amount of money put into them to keep is insane.
    • By BMG18
      Hey everyone, I'm having trouble with my trans. 4l60e .. Out of the blue one day it would engage after start up for about 3 mins. Then it would completely fail .. No movement in any gear... Turn it off for a 5 min crank and it repeated.. fixed that problem... Filter and seal was bad and not allowing it to seal off and couldn't transfer enough fluid...  After it was fixed it worked fine.. i had to use 4wd a week later and manually sifted to 1st and there was nothing it just reved no movement or noises .. Tried 2nd -3rd same results.. it works fine in drive pulls hard no strange noises or funny feelings..shifts through all gears fine .. Any idea why it won't engage manually?

Thanks-B
    • By Black02Silverado
      Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone is interested in trying AMSOIL's ATL in their 8sp transmissions that are having the shudder issues.  If you are, PM me your address and I can get you a discounted quote delivered to your door for 16qts.  That's basically the amount needed to do a fluid exchange.  Thank you.