Transmission Fluid Advice

1 hour ago, royalkangaroo said:

This thread went off the rails.

Lol...another day or two we will be talking about Johnny  who knew Tony, who's Brother-In-Law worked with Greg who used to work at FERD and he is the one who said, "why don't we just copy the Windsor and call it a LS"

6 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

Grumps...I think you got me mixed up with another feller?  Anybody using inline filter for these Transmissions?  

Ok so you’re saying by running the engine and using the trans to force the fluid out it will mix. I don’t know enough about the transmission to deny that.

As a former usaf hydraulics technician, specifically assigned to the most complicated hydraulic systems in the entire air force because of my asvab score, the kc-135. I will say hydraulic pumps do not mix fresh fluid with old fluid. What sort of pump and automatic trans has I don’t know. But if it’s anything like a high pressure pump, the fluid is traveling in series.

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

Ok so you’re saying by running the engine and using the trans to force the fluid out it will mix. I don’t know enough about the transmission to deny that.

As a former usaf hydraulics technician, specifically assigned to the most complicated hydraulic systems in the entire air force because of my asvab score, the kc-135. I will say hydraulic pumps do not mix fresh fluid with old fluid. What sort of pump and automatic trans has I don’t know. But if it’s anything like a high pressure pump, the fluid is traveling in series.

you have me confused too it seems?  I simply agree with Nanotech that is the best method and the mixing is insignificant and it's the safest, most practical way.  At some point drop the pan and clean the magnet and change filter but using the internal pump is the correct way.

10 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

You tube a torque converter and it's operation. It isn't the systems 'pump', it's the TC and it's pumping action. I assume you were the one I quoted and not Mook. 

The destination of ego is vindication. The goal of truth is itself.

Look boys, I don't care WHO you believe. Who has no bearing on the truth and truth is I could be wrong. Why would I say that after all this? Because the drop and fill is the ONLY position that has been QUANTIFIED. The pump method not only has not been PROVED QUANTIATIVELY more to the point, it defies mathematic probability. Neither of which declares either method superior. Side with the truth, not a person. 

Insistence in the pump method without concrete evidence is evidence of an ego seeking vindication, not truth. I will be more that happy to be in error but you will have to PROVE IT, not insist on it. I'd be a pretty poor student if I accepted less from my instructors. I do, after all, pay for my education one way or the other. 

:seeya:

• Like 2

I don't know I sat and watched the tech after he poured in 16-17qts the fluid change color from used to new and then he was done in  a continuous loop?  He told me it's absolutely the best way to do the 8L90?

14 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

He told me it's absolutely the best way to do the 8L90?

Look real close at what it says in the green square on this can. It says:

"Reduces the emissions of CO2". 

Tell me, what are the end products of complete hydrocarbon combustion? 

Give up?

CO2 and H20

:crackup:

CO2 is a current environmental 'hot button'.

Flushes make $$$$$$$, not sense.

2790_2.thumb.png.01c3408035ff6699aeea67738ca98cff.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Look real close at what it says in the green square on this can. It says:

"Reduces the emissions of CO2". 

Tell me, what are the end products of complete hydrocarbon combustion? 

Give up?

CO2 and H20

:crackup:

CO2 is a current environmental 'hot button'.

Flushes make $$$$$$$, not sense.

2790_2.thumb.png.01c3408035ff6699aeea67738ca98cff.png

Grumpy, I have no idea what your talking about?  We're talking about flushing the Transmission.....I sat right with the Tech's as they prepared to use a machine and attach it to my Transmission lines and run the vehicle while the Transmission line sucked in 1 case plus 5-6 more qts of New Trans fluid before the return into the machine started pushing out the old fluid?  Yes, it's 100% the best most efficient way to replace damn near all the fluid....What part of this do you not understand?

12 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

Grumpy, I have no idea what your talking about?  We're talking about flushing the Transmission.....I sat right with the Tech's as they prepared to use a machine and attach it to my Transmission lines and run the vehicle while the Transmission line sucked in 1 case plus 5-6 more qts of New Trans fluid before the return into the machine started pushing out the old fluid?  Yes, it's 100% the best most efficient way to replace damn near all the fluid....What part of this do you not understand?

this was done at my cost for fluid at something like 10-15K miles as I was convinced something was not correct with fluid....I had no idea that 2+years later GM would finally get to the bottom of the Trans issues. As they were taking on water?  After that I called back the head of maintenance and explained to him...Yes, absolutely the TRUCK changed 100% with shifting characteristics from that day afterward.  He said GM was aware of something with 6.2L engines and 8l90's at this time?  I politely told him GM has something going on with the fluid in ALL 8L90's.......... 

So just took my 16 with an 8 speed in for oil change. Mentioned the rough shifting. They checked it out and yes, it’s an issue. GM calls for flushing the tranny and putting a better fluid in it. 

Guy in in front of me with a 14 had a wrecked torque converter and metal in his tranny. 

Have to get get all the 45k stuff too. Front and rear diff fluid, brake fluid, etc. 

2019 loaner. Pretty nice. Feels like a car compared to my 16 with All Terrain package. 

On 8/20/2019 at 8:06 AM, kickass audio said:

Does anyone know the way the fluid flows through the rad? Does it enter the rad on the driver or passenger side? I had my truck running last night and the trans temp only got up to 150 and the lines on the driver side felt warm and the passenger side was cool so I assume it's coming in through the radiator from the drivers side then going up to the aux cooler and exiting the radiator on the passenger side. 

By the way guys. I think the thermostat on the transmission is only opening and closing the return line. I had disconnected both the drivers and passenger side transmission lines that connect to the radiator and when the engine is running only the passenger side pumped fluid. What I had to do is remove the air box and then use the lisle jiffy-tite removal tool to pull the line out of the joint near the middle of the radiator on the passenger side and then I used 3/8" rubber tubing to divert the fluid into a bucket. I also used my vacuum pump to siphon out damn near all the transmission fluid from the pan (i'm surprised the dipstick tube goes straight down into the transmission without a screen at the end of the tube) but to get the pan out I removed all the bolts and then dropped the pan just a little so it would sit on the exhaust pipe and the little support bracket for the cooler lines. Then take the gasket and pull it up and turn it sideways, once the gasket clears the shallow part of the pan you will then be able to pull the pan straight down and out. I slipped on it and dropped the entire pan in my drain bucket so I wore a ton of fluid but whatever. I always end up wearing the fluid and making a huge mess in the driveway when I do this. haha.

• Like 1

Gentleman, does anyone have a source for an aftermarket pan for the 8L90 that has a drain plug? Deeper, and finned wouldn’t hurt either. I’m on PML’s mailing list. However, the 8L90 pan remains under development. It’s been that way for years, it seems.

4 hours ago, Darksky said:

Gentleman, does anyone have a source for an aftermarket pan for the 8L90 that has a drain plug? Deeper, and finned wouldn’t hurt either. I’m on PML’s mailing list. However, the 8L90 pan remains under development. It’s been that way for years, it seems.

I actually talked to the gal there about 2 weeks ago and asked seriously what is the ETA on it?  She said, "Honestly 9 months" So I am looking too?

• Like 1