Adding Navigation to existing '19 hub?

Accessory catalog for the '20 just added a Nav upgrade for existing hubs. Have to check with the dealer if it is backward compatible with the '19s with 8" screen radio. Looks like a simple SD card that plugs into the existing SD slot on the USB hub under the lid in the center console. Currently using the SD slot for music but could easily transfer it to a flash drive and use the SD slot for the maps. If compatible likely also requires a dealer programming for an hour labor.

Only thing that concerns me is the active subscription note.....a deal breaker if I have to pay for 4g to make the system work, but no problem if only subscription is necessary for updates and current traffic info. Anyone familiar with how this operates?

https://accessories.gm.com/applevalleychevy/product/2020/Chevrolet/Silverado 1500/navigation-system-conversion-kit-84489271?bac=113704&categoryId=12001

It is compatible with the 2019s as long as you have the Infotainment Plus system (Comes with Convenience II, which IIRC from the other thread, you have?).

It involves a service visit to flash the cluster and infotainment, plus the SD card.

It works without the subscription - you just won't get the other information.

I keep going back and forth on adding it, myself. I hate Waze but I use it because of the Police and Traffic alerts - but I would really like to have the speed limit in the cluster. I already pay for 4g, so that is a bonus for me.

The option to add navigation to the midlevel infotainment isn’t new for 2020, but that particular card/part number is. I believe they changed some things in the infotainment system for the 2020MY, so that isn’t too surprising. Photos of the new infotainment show album cover images displayed, and the option to pause and rewind live radio.

Anyway, back to the nav cards. The one for the 2019 is linked below. It will work in any truck that has IOS infotainment. If you have the card reader, you have it:

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/electronics/2019-silverado-1500-navigation-system-conversion-kit-navigation-radio-upgrade/84531832-p-92300645.html

You don’t need a subscription to maintain the functionality of it. The subscription is just for traffic updates and other silly things like local gas prices. I haven’t had a subscription since my trial lapsed in January and I still use the nav a lot and it works great.

59 minutes ago, GTPprix said:

Short version is if you have the IOS radio you have the ability to upgrade to Navigation :)

Yeah. Thomcat, your RST likely does NOT have the IOS radio. Mine doesn't, and it's pretty much fully loaded. 

So you would have to order the SIM card, then go to the dealer to have them update the Infotainment to IOS. 

There was a guy on the forum here from Dallas who said he was able to do the radio upgrade himself, but I can't remember who that was now? 

50 minutes ago, econometrics said:

Yeah. Thomcat, your RST likely does NOT have the IOS radio. Mine doesn't, and it's pretty much fully loaded. 

So you would have to order the SIM card, then go to the dealer to have them update the Infotainment to IOS. 

There was a guy on the forum here from Dallas who said he was able to do the radio upgrade himself, but I can't remember who that was now? 

It has IOS if it has the SD card reader, and so should yours.

IOR - base infotainment - no SD reader - not upgradable - no place to put the map card

IOS - midlevel - has SD reader - upgradable to nav with the card linked above

IOT - same as IOS, but with nav factory installed

6 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

It has IOS if it has the SD card reader, and so should yours.

IOR - base infotainment - no SD reader - not upgradable - no place to put the map card

IOS - midlevel - has SD reader - upgradable to nav with the card linked above

IOT - same as IOS, but with nav factory installed

Right. So the dealer has to upgrade IOS to IOT, correct? 

I misunderstood, Thomcat. Your RST likely DOES have the IOS radio (mine does), but I think it needs to be dealer upgraded to IOT. 

7 hours ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

It is compatible with the 2019s as long as you have the Infotainment Plus system (Comes with Convenience II, which IIRC from the other thread, you have?).

It involves a service visit to flash the cluster and infotainment, plus the SD card.

I keep going back and forth on adding it, myself. I hate Waze but I use it because of the Police and Traffic alerts - but I would really like to have the speed limit in the cluster. I already pay for 4g, so that is a bonus for me.

Thanks......on my way to the dealer to confirm labnor charge and capability for flashing

2 hours ago, econometrics said:

$600 for an SD card and 30 min of tech work. Just that, too. ??‍♂️

Feeling good. Total $495 + tax out the door....no matter how long it takes to program, exactly what the factory option cost which I would have taken had they offered it.

Dealer confirmed appointment and Parts Department punched in my VIN and confirmed it is compatible with my radio head

10 hours ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

Thanks to all for the info, especially ReeltoReel for the part number which dealer could not locate, but when part number was pouched in confirmed compatible with my VIN.

I also like the speed sign in the main cluster.....pulls the speed limits and locations off the Nav maps.......have it in my Traverse with the factory Nav, but no active 4 g subscription which is likely used only for updates............proof is that it is still reading the recently changed old location for speed changeover and older speed limits on Rte 70 heading toward Baltimore.

Ok, I have IOR in my truck, so right now i cannot do the NAV upgrade, what if i install the IOS/IOT SD card reader. Could i then purchase/install the NAV upgrade?

Also is the NAV using GPS or Cellular networks? If it uses GPS i might try it. if its cellular then nope my phone already sucks.

21 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Correct. You need the card they sell and then the dealer to program it. No hardware difference between IOS and IOT. Just the nav software.

There is a hardware difference. IOT has additional memory over IOS. That memory is for applications and other data, however Nav will work with either.

17 hours ago, BlancoSilverado said:

Ok, I have IOR in my truck, so right now i cannot do the NAV upgrade, what if i install the IOS/IOT SD card reader. Could i then purchase/install the NAV upgrade?

Also is the NAV using GPS or Cellular networks? If it uses GPS i might try it. if its cellular then nope my phone already sucks.

'19 Upgrade kit specifically mentions IOS radio which is in the Convenience II pack option 8" HD color touchscreen with voice recognition and SD card reader, stock (IOR) radio uses different hardware other than the SD card reader, don't believe it has voice recognition for hands free command of audio controls, phone system, climate controls and upgrade to Nav voice commands.

Edited by Thomcat