Will a new 2500 HD fit through a 7 ft tall std garage door?

I see a lot about the 2500, but does anyone know for sure if the 3500 will fit with the standard 7ft door? My opening is 82.5 inches. Really setting my sights on the 3500, but if it doesn't fit, I guess I'll have to settle with the 2500. 

I see a lot about the 2500, but does anyone know for sure if the 3500 will fit with the standard 7ft door? My opening is 82.5 inches. Really setting my sights on the 3500, but if it doesn't fit, I guess I'll have to settle with the 2500. 

Spec’d overall height of a 3500 is 80.87”

The 2500 is 79.82”

5 minutes ago, Ryno12 said:

Spec’d overall height of a 3500 is 80.87”

The 2500 is 79.82”

That is the maximum overall height listed on the manufacturers website for both the 2500/3500. I'm assuming the maximum height is with the 20 inch wheels installed. Curious to see if anyone knows what the max height is with the 18 inch wheels. And does the max height include the sirius radio antenna and/or the am/fm radio antenna? I guess I'll just have to go bring one home to test-fit. 

That is the maximum overall height listed on the manufacturers website for both the 2500/3500. I'm assuming the maximum height is with the 20 inch wheels installed. Curious to see if anyone knows what the max height is with the 18 inch wheels. And does the max height include the sirius radio antenna and/or the am/fm radio antenna? I guess I'll just have to go bring one home to test-fit. 

Another thing to consider is the overall length. Best to pull all the way in and close the garage door.
When I test drove my 2500, I wasn’t worried about the height, as I have a 9’ door but the length was a concern. I have a work bench in the front of my garage, so when I pull in, I need enough room to close the garage door & still be able to walk past my truck.

With my 1500, I had ample room to work in front of the truck and still be able to walk behind it even with the tailgate down. Now, I only have about 18” to walk in front of my truck if I pull up enough to open the tailgate with the garage door down. With it down, there’s only about 2” clearance to the garage door.

These 2020’s are massive. It dwarfs my wife’s Yukon XL.

8 hours ago, dg2006 said:

My local dealer didn't have any 3500HD models in stock, so I brought a 2500HD home to check for garage fit.  (See my pics in an earlier post in this same thread.)  For all practical purposes, the max height of 3500 is 1" taller than 2500.  I have more than 1" of clearance, so I am confident my 3500HD AT4 will fit.  But in the "better safe than sorry" mindset, we're currently building a new house.  I've specified 8' garage door heights for all bays!  (And before anybody asks....I'm not building a new house to fit the new truck....as far as my wife knows!!!!)

Edited by jaybauman
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Ryno12 said:

Another thing to consider is the overall length. Best to pull all the way in and close the garage door.
When I test drove my 2500, I wasn’t worried about the height, as I have a 9’ door but the length was a concern. I have a work bench in the front of my garage, so when I pull in, I need enough room to close the garage door & still be able to walk past my truck.

With my 1500, I had ample room to work in front of the truck and still be able to walk behind it even with the tailgate down. Now, I only have about 18” to walk in front of my truck if I pull up enough to open the tailgate with the garage door down. With it down, there’s only about 2” clearance to the garage door.

These 2020’s are massive. It dwarfs my wife’s Yukon XL.

I did consider the length so I measured the length of my garage and I don't think it will be an issue. It's a 2 1/2 car garage and the length is well over 250 inches (it's close to 300 inches). You're right, they are massive. My dealer has one I think I'm going to see if they'll let me drive it home. Thanks for the help.

Edited by dg2006

13 hours ago, jaybauman said:

My local dealer didn't have any 3500HD models in stock, so I brought a 2500HD home to check for garage fit.  (See my pics in an earlier post in this same thread.)  For all practical purposes, the max height of 3500 is 1" taller than 2500.  I have more than 1" of clearance, so I am confident my 3500HD AT4 will fit.  But in the "better safe than sorry" mindset, we're currently building a new house.  I've specified 8' garage door heights for all bays!  (And before anybody asks....I'm not building a new house to fit the new truck....as far as my wife knows!!!!)

I saw your post/pictures and that is close. Do you know how tall your opening is? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 9:03 PM, jaybauman said:

Hey brother maybe you can help me out. I am buying a 2020 sierra 2500 denali and my garage clearance is 82.67". I know your clearance height for your garage is 82.5" I was curious what the measurement is from the top of your shark fin. I would appriciate the info. and you have 20" wheels correct?

1 hour ago, MIKE7568 said:

Hey brother maybe you can help me out. I am buying a 2020 sierra 2500 denali and my garage clearance is 82.67". I know your clearance height for your garage is 82.5" I was curious what the measurement is from the top of your shark fin. I would appriciate the info. and you have 20" wheels correct?

Just for your reference. The shark fin is not the highest point on these trucks. There are 2 extruded ridges on the roof that are just behind where the sunroof is. The highest point on those ridges is the tallest hard part on the truck. On my 2500 with 20” wheels, that part was about 80.125”. The standard radio antenna is about 0.75” taller than that. The clearance bar for the parking garage at work is 80” and I was barely contacting it. I put som john c garage 1.4” drop shackles in the rear and I now just barely squeak under that bar. Like .125” under. If I don’t have at least a half tank of gas I will barely touch on the passenger side. The garage is actually around 6’11” inside so I’m good.

i think you’ll be fine, but your best bet is to test drive one home and check it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MIKE7568 said:

Look at my pc above. I don’t have 82” clearance, but a 2500HD AT4 with 20” wheels fit with room to spare. As long as you have enough room for the length of the truck, your height should be sufficient. 

• 1 month later...

Well I was about to run out and get a 2020 sierra 2500 so I could fit in with the cool crew, but then realized it was too long to fit in my garage. So, I thought, it's okay, I'll get around this... I'll just park it up at my work's parking garage. Then tragedy struck again with a disappointing 6'-6" clearance...

image.thumb.png.eaf574ad25f6115917d7105021763bd6.png

By the way @jaybauman what side of Houston do you live on? I'm on the Northwest side.

Edited by Rumz