Shell Rotella T6 15W-40

If I let my truck drain the oil for about an hour always need to add about 1/2 quart over that 2.5 gallons. Saw this today and figured I’ll start topping it off with this. 

I was using T5 but the truck started ticking. 

I am now now also using Baldwin filter to instead of Wix or Mobile 1. 

12D76F7E-4A72-428E-B8F5-53EF174CDB9E.jpeg

Ok so i do not understand the actual question you are asking.

For oil and returns, I know that kragens/orielly auto parts will match Walmart pricing and do not do returns on oil. i was screwed one time because i bought oil from Walmart to find out it was used oil someone put back in.

1 hour ago, BlancoSilverado said:

Ok so i do not understand the actual question you are asking.

For oil and returns, I know that kragens/orielly auto parts will match Walmart pricing and do not do returns on oil. i was screwed one time because i bought oil from Walmart to find out it was used oil someone put back in.

Sorry, not a question but rather an informative FYI post. But good to know. 

Edited by EXSlider400

23 hours ago, EXSlider400 said:

If I let my truck drain the oil for about an hour always need to add about 1/2 quart over that 2.5 gallons. Saw this today and figured I’ll start topping it off with this. 

How long after running the truck are you checking the oil level? 

Diesel supplement is very specific about letting it sit longer and accuracy improves the when cold (wording for gasser is similar). 

6 hours ago, EXSlider400 said:

A few minutes. But I am letting it drain for over an hour and under 1/2 qt added.   But I was unaware of the specific time to wait so thanks. 

The diesel supplement is very clear that a few minutes is not enough to get an accurate oil level.

There is a good chance that you are overfilling.

Easy enough to verify by checking it cold before it's first start of the day -- provided you have a level place to park overnight. 

From the '18 Diesel Supplement: 

Follow these guidelines:

. To get an accurate reading, park the vehicle on level ground.

Check the engine oil level after the engine has been off for at least two hours.

Checking the engine oil level on steep grades or too soon after engine shutoff can result in incorrect readings.

Accuracy improves when checking a cold engine prior to starting.

Remove the dipstick and check the level.

. If unable to wait two hours, the engine must be off for at least 15 minutes if the engine is warm, or at least 30 minutes if the engine is not warm. Pull out the dipstick, wipe it with a clean paper towel or cloth, then push it back in all the way.

Remove it again, keeping the tip down, and check the level.

It goes on to indicate that when below the cross-hatch area in the dipstick indicates the usual 1 L/ 1gt can be added.

They provide the following caution about overfilling:

Caution

Do not add too much oil.

Oil levels above or below the acceptable operating range shown on the dipstick are harmful
to the engine.

If you find that you have an oil level above the operating range, i.e., the engine has so much oil that the oil level
gets above the cross-hatched area that shows the proper operating range, the engine could be damaged.

You should drain out the excess oil or limit driving of the vehicle and seek a service professional to remove the excess amount of oil.