In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

danmc96

Plastidipped exhaust tips

Posted (edited)

I have hated the chrome exhaust tips on my truck since I bought it. I decided to try plastidip and results were exactly what I wanted. I have washed truck in auto car wash 5 times so far and still looks great. I’ve put roughly 500 miles on it as well. Plastidip looks like the day I sprayed it on. 

2F3663C4-198F-4318-827D-6EB262E8048C.jpeg

Edited by danmc96
  • Like 2

Very nice. I want to do the same. Did you take them off to spray or just tape things up? I just did my wheels recently and found it pretty easy and love the look so I definitely want to do this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just taped off and sprayed in place. Looked pretty involved taking them off. 

2 hours ago, danmc96 said:

I just taped off and sprayed in place. Looked pretty involved taking them off. 

How far back did you spray? Pics?

I just did the whole exhaust tip.

085F814F-7A89-41F3-9BFD-2FD903929372.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks great man! I had a few things dipped here and there on my old truck, lasted 8 years! Car washes and all! 

Now obviously results will vary, and prep matters, and blah blah blah. But still, I love that stuff. Anyway, the tips look excellent bud. Solid work!

On 8/17/2019 at 3:33 PM, danmc96 said:

I have hated the chrome exhaust tips on my truck since I bought it. I decided to try plastidip and results were exactly what I wanted. I have washed truck in auto car wash 5 times so far and still looks great. I’ve put roughly 500 miles on it as well. Plastidip looks like the day I sprayed it on. 

2F3663C4-198F-4318-827D-6EB262E8048C.jpeg

Where did you get the dip from?

I got it from Lowe’s. Wiped down tips with rubbing alcohol and sprayed about 7 light coats. 

I don’t think it’s any secret that powder coat is more durable but it also cost much more and it’s permanent. This cost under $10 and last years. I had it on my previous vehicle’s grille and it looked as good as new when I sold it 3 years later.  

On 8/18/2019 at 6:23 PM, danmc96 said:

I just did the whole exhaust tip.

085F814F-7A89-41F3-9BFD-2FD903929372.jpeg

How did you spray the top part that's right below the bumper?

God bless... Looks great....

doing mine tonight...

borla Type s installed... no funky carbon fiber tips...

OEM+ look, less is more Baby

5B6659BC-8B5F-4338-BFC0-163290DB7566.jpeg

4 hours ago, lord.kinbote said:

I am with you guys.  I do not like the chrome tips on my 2019 Trail Boss LT.  Is this the product you guys used?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Plasti-Dip-Flat-Black-Flat-Spray-Paint-Actual-Net-Contents-11-oz/3543514

yes thats what he used... its like a rubber.   make lots of light coats, let it dry or it will run.

I'm going to use a Hi-Temp satin black spray.   You can find this stuff at any hardware store.

Plasti-Dip is nice because if you get some overspray on the paint, you can literally rub it off with your fingers.  If properly applied, you can literally peel the coating off in large solid sheets.

It's very "low-risk" way to paint the tips without removing them and getting overspray on the truck bumper's plastic and paint.

• Thanks 1