Anyone driving a gasser yet? Mileage?

My 2500 dmax will get 25 on flat ground with little or no wind, as long as I run 55-60 and don't have to kick it out of cruise very often.  Repeated it many many times on several 2 lane runs I do frequently. 

But it doesn't take much town/city driving to ensure that my tank averages are never that high.  Last few fills have been just over 20, which is slightly better than what it was giving last summer.  

My 16 4x4 Z71 LTZ DMax was getting the same BUT, OP asked about “Gasser 3/4 ton not diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I'm in outside sales. I drive all over mid GA. 2 times a week I drive to Columbus (80 miles one way) which is 4 lanes divided with 65 speed limit.

I drive 85% on interstate or 4 lane divided roads.  65-75 is my normal speed.

With my 5.3 I actually get better mileage on 2 lane country roads which I drive a bunch of those too.  55-65.

20 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Highly doubt anyone will get that average in the new 3/4 unless strictly highway

No. They probably won't.  But given the technology of the new L8T, they should be able to overall average a little better than the 6.0 L96 if they don't try to hot rod around.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, redwngr said:

My 2500 dmax will get 25 on flat ground with little or no wind, as long as I run 55-60 and don't have to kick it out of cruise very often.  Repeated it many many times on several 2 lane runs I do frequently. 

But it doesn't take much town/city driving to ensure that my tank averages are never that high.  Last few fills have been just over 20, which is slightly better than what it was giving last summer.  

Compare that to my 6.0 on E85.  While my MPG is substantially less than what one gets with a Dmax, it doesn't cost me anymore per mile for fuel.  I average about 12 for all miles on E85.   Have gotten 14 mpg average highway on road trips on E85.  At the price of E85 near me at $1.89 and diesel near me at $2.98, based on the overall average mpg on E85, my cost per mile is about 15.75 cents a mile.  For a Dmax to average 15.75 cents a mile for all miles at current cost for diesel, it would have to average for all miles roughly 19 mpg for all miles.... city, highway, hauling, etc.

So using E85 in my 6.0 is essentially a wash on fuel cost per mile.  One of the reasons I do not consider the Dmax.  I am not trying to move a mobile home and really don't need a Dmax and having one is just too much cost and headache with no appreciable gain.  Now, if I was really towing heavy on a frequent basis, then it could be viable.  For my work around the property in my rural neck of the woods, not so much.

32 minutes ago, Cowpie said:

Compare that to my 6.0 on E85.  While my MPG is substantially less than what one gets with a Dmax, it doesn't cost me anymore per mile for fuel.  I average about 12 for all miles on E85.   Have gotten 14 mpg average highway on road trips on E85.  At the price of E85 near me at $1.89 and diesel near me at $2.98, based on the overall average mpg on E85, my cost per mile is about 15.75 cents a mile.  For a Dmax to average 15.75 cents a mile for all miles at current cost for diesel, it would have to average for all miles roughly 19 mpg for all miles.... city, highway, hauling, etc.

So using E85 in my 6.0 is essentially a wash on fuel cost per mile.  One of the reasons I do not consider the Dmax.  I am not trying to move a mobile home and really don't need a Dmax and having one is just too much cost and headache with no appreciable gain.  Now, if I was really towing heavy on a frequent basis, then it could be viable.  For my work around the property in my rural neck of the woods, not so much.

Let’s not  turn his 6.6 gasser fuel mileage question into another gas vs. diesel discussion.   Not many minds will be changed by either sides point of view...and there are many different ways to look at it.  Besides, everyone knows the Dmax drives better towing or not, worth the extra fuel cost.. :)

• Like 3

Most people know driving around in a 3/4 ton is a waste compared to a 1/2 ton for efficiency. So is driving a truck versus a car or mini van. That’s not why people do it. The real question would be. What’s the difference in fuel mileage pulling my equipment around between like equipped trucks. Maybe asking the question means you’re not charging enough for your work. Or you can’t afford the camper you’re pulling. The only reasons I would own a 3/4 ton.[emoji41]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

Most people know driving around in a 3/4 ton is a waste compared to a 1/2 ton for efficiency. So is driving a truck versus a car or mini van. That’s not why people do it. The real question would be. What’s the difference in fuel mileage pulling my equipment around between like equipped trucks. Maybe asking the question means you’re not charging enough for your work. Or you can’t afford the camper you’re pulling. The only reasons I would own a 3/4 ton.emoji41.png

Or, he's like me. I'm buying the 3500HD to pull a 5th wheel RV with a 3000lbs pin weight once to twice per month now that the kids have moved out, but it will be primarily my daily driver in metro Atlanta for my job. When not having the option to have a separate truck for pulling and a separate car for commuting, yes the fuel milage question is valid and has nothing to do with what one can afford or not. It has more to do with figuring out how often I will have to fill up the tank compared to what I drive now.

Let's remember that everyone's needs and situations are different and try to answer the question asked instead of trying to guess the motivation for the question.

Edited by ApertureX
  • Like 1

Or, he's like me. I'm buying the 3500HD to pull a 5th wheel RV with a 3000lbs pin weight once to twice per month now that the kids have moved out, but it will be primarily my daily driver in metro Atlanta for my job. When not having the option to have a separate truck for pulling and a separate car for commuting, yes the fuel milage question is valid and has nothing to do with what one can afford or not. It has more to do with figuring out how often I will have to fill up the tank compared to what I drive now.

Let's remember that everyone's needs and situations are different and try to answer the question asked instead of trying to guess the motivation for the question.

Atlanta daily, you poor soul. You’ll save money buying a used car. Been there done that. Or vice versa.

• Like 1

I think that the folks at GM kept their main consumers of the HD pickups in mind (commercial users) regarding the 6.6  L8T by offering a beefed up version of the 6L90 instead of going to the 10 speed.  Much along the same line that, unlike the 6.2 Ecotec, they made sure that the 6.6 would develop full power using regular instead of premium fuel.  They did miss the mark though in not having Flex Fuel capability as there are many fleets, state and municipal buyers, and individual users that want that diversity in their engine. Especially since GM has a big market share in many of the ethanol producing states.    

Sometimes it is best to not introduce too much new stuff into the product line without first proving its reliability. If it doesn't play out well, then one risks ticking off the main buyers of the HD pickups.  And unlike general consumers who generally have short memories and have no problem switching back and forth on a whim, commercial buyers can be real tough to get back on the reservation if they lose confidence in a OEM.  Witness International Trucks and its Maxxforce engine design.  

My dealer just got one, man do they ever make the 2019+ half tons look ugly. It's a WT here with the goofy wheels and grille and I am telling you, it is a beautiful truck. Any 6.6L Gas driver's, how does it feel power wise compared to the outgoing 6.0L? I think I might have to hand my 2018 down to the guys and get the boss a new truck. I know there is a numerical HP jump, but they also put higher ratio FD. Now 3.73 vs the old 4.10. I would expect that switch would take away any felt power increases. 

• 4 weeks later...

If you drive 55 mph you will average 18.9 mpg in the gasoline 2020 Silverado HD 4x4 custom. I’ve been breaking mine in at that speed on the highway. In town, 11mpg.  Once I get over the 500 mile break in, I am expecting 15 mpg average at speeds of 75mph. We will see. I can’t drive 55, unless i’m in Colorado. Lol. Maybe I will learn to!

I will probably end up chipping the tough 6.6 gas engine to get the real Chevy  power..

I traded my $55000.00 6” lifted 2017 Tuscany Silverado Baja 1500 with 35” tires for $36000.00. Only 11000 miles on that one. Someone in Dallas got a beaut for cheap. I lost 20000 US when I bought the HD. That’s enough to feel sorry for myself. Can’t fix stupid! 

• Like 1

I am one of those weird ones.  I spent all those years from '74 thru '87 with a national speed limit of 55 mph.  I usually drove around 60 during those times.  When things went up to 65, that is where I settled in.  Whether it is my wife's car, my pickup, or my semi truck, I typically don't run over 65 anywhere.  Just an occasional kicking it up a little when passing of the freeway so I am not hanging out in the left lane and hindering others.  But after I pass and get back in the right lane I go back to 65.    Probably why i generally get better than average fuel economy from my vehicles.  Guess I never got the "need for speed" bug.    What helps with the fuel economy by doing 65 probably is more associated with the fact that I am not at the whim of those frequent accordion traffic situations where everyone is moving in herds like cattle and speeding and slowing down all the time.  I am able to keep a more constant speed longer.

My 2015 2500 6.0, when I was running regular gas in it, would average 14 mpg for all miles and 17-18 mpg highway miles.  I would expect that the 6.6, under the same conditions, should get a little better than that.  Under similar conditions, whether a 6.0 or 6.6, the amount of power needed to move the vehicle is the same.  Given the improved design of the L8T over the L96, that should mean better fuel economy from the L8T.  But I have expected better results from GM in the past and was disappointed.  

Edited by Cowpie

On 9/22/2019 at 9:15 PM, Demig7o7d7 said:

If you drive 55 mph you will average 18.9 mpg in the gasoline 2020 Silverado HD 4x4 custom. I’ve been breaking mine in at that speed on the highway. In town, 11mpg.  Once I get over the 500 mile break in, I am expecting 15 mpg average at speeds of 75mph. We will see. I can’t drive 55, unless i’m in Colorado. Lol. Maybe I will learn to!

I will probably end up chipping the tough 6.6 gas engine to get the real Chevy  power..

I traded my $55000.00 6” lifted 2017 Tuscany Silverado Baja 1500 with 35” tires for $36000.00. Only 11000 miles on that one. Someone in Dallas got a beaut for cheap. I lost 20000 US when I bought the HD. That’s enough to feel sorry for myself. Can’t fix stupid! 

18.9 at 55 makes me glad my '18 is a duramax.

530 miles today.  24.1 mpg indicated.

Ya, I know, mpg indicator is often optimistic.  But for sure more well over 19.

Mixture or 57-62 mph with about 25% 68-74mph. 

Recently did a Port Huron to Denver run, and some mountain side trips (Pikes and RMNP/Trail Ridge Road). Every tank was over 20 hand calc.  Both ways were way over 70 mph most of the time. 

Not lifted. Tires aired down to the 55-57 range cold. 

Sure is nice being able to fill and home (about 50 miles into Canada) and then only once between home and Denver.