Spare Tire???

42 minutes ago, rosepaule said:

Anyone know if a 35" tire mounted to a stock 22" wheel will fit where the spare tire goes?

I was told by a salesman that the 33" spare that's available is the largest tire that fits under the truck but he lied to me about at least two other things so take that with a grain of salt. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

I was told by a salesman that the 33" spare that's available is the largest tire that fits under the truck but he lied to me about at least two other things so take that with a grain of salt. 

LMFAO... ok, thanks!

I measured my 15 because somebody was asking a while back. On my truck there was about 1" clearance between the tire and the back side of the hitch receiver. So theoretically I could have mounted a tire that was 2" larger diameter than the OEM spare. The only way you are going to know is to get under there and see how close your existing tire is to the nearest obstruction. It depends on the your bed length and hitch configuration.

But why do you want a larger spare? Planning to do a 5 tire rotation? if not, don't bother.

Edited by aseibel
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, aseibel said:

I measured my 15 because somebody was asking a while back. On my truck there was about 1" clearance between the tire and the back side of the hitch receiver. So theoretically I could have mounted a tire that was 2" larger diameter than the OEM spare. The only way you are going to know is to get under there and see how close your existing tire is to the nearest obstruction. It depends on the your bed length and hitch configuration.

But why do you want a larger spare? Planning to do a 5 tire rotation? if not, don't bother.

I've got the Denali (short bed) and thinking about getting the Wilwood brakes which require a 20 or 22 inch wheel at minimum for a spare if one of the fronts go out. Would rather have a 1 for 1 swap and not have to worry about changing them out again after the tire is replaced.

24 minutes ago, rosepaule said:

I've got the Denali (short bed) and thinking about getting the Wilwood brakes which require a 20 or 22 inch wheel at minimum for a spare if one of the fronts go out. Would rather have a 1 for 1 swap and not have to worry about changing them out again after the tire is replaced.

So you are planning to buy 5 new wheels and tires that all match?

Isn't your OEM spare on a cheap steelie? Are you sure it wouldn't clear the new brakes? I'd just look for a 20" OEM steelie spare if you need it. Why do you want an expensive wheel sitting under the truck getting salt and rocks thrown at it?

It would be easier to take a wheel off the rear, move to the front, and put OEM spare on the rear to limp home. That's if you ever need it. When was the last time you put a spare tire on any vehicle you own?

Edited by aseibel
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, aseibel said:

Isn't your OEM spare on a cheap steelie? Are you sure it wouldn't clear the new brakes? I'd just look for a 20" OEM steelie spare if you need it. Why do you want an expensive wheel sitting under the truck getting salt and rocks thrown at it?

It would be easier to take a wheel off the rear, move to the front, and put OEM spare on the rear to limp home. That's if you ever need it. When was the last time you put a spare tire on any vehicle you own?

Ive got stock 22's on there and was going to pick up another stock wheel, mount another 35 inch Toyo MT on there and keep it in case one goes.

30 minutes ago, aseibel said:

Yes I could move one from the front to the back and use a 20 inch steelie, but Ive got the money, would rather not have to do all of that and just have a spare that is the same.

14 minutes ago, rosepaule said:

Yes I could move one from the front to the back and use a 20 inch steelie, but Ive got the money, would rather not have to do all of that and just have a spare that is the same.

OK, well, I can't answer your original question about whether it would fit under your truck without crawling under to look. I'm guessing you could make it fit if you want to.

I just wouldn't spend 1000$ on something to hang under the truck to get beat up by the elements and probably never use it. There's a reason GM gives you a cheap steelie instead of a matching wheel.

7 minutes ago, aseibel said:

OK, well, I can't answer your original question about whether it would fit under your truck without crawling under to look. I'm guessing you could make it fit if you want to.

I just wouldn't spend 1000$ on something to hang under the truck to get beat up by the elements and probably never use it. There's a reason GM gives you a cheap steelie instead of a matching wheel.

Thanks for the info and trying to help.... 

Glad its my money and not yours... you'd be pissed at some of the shit that I buy LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, rosepaule said:

Thanks for the info and trying to help.... 

Glad its my money and not yours... you'd be pissed at some of the shit that I buy LOL.

you could send some of that extra money my way and i'd put it to good use!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, rosepaule said:

Would rather have a 1 for 1 swap and not have to worry about changing them out again after the tire is replaced.

I thought of something. Lets say you got 40,000 miles on your current tires and you blow one. You want to take your brand new wheel and tire out from under your truck and mount it and forget about it. What are you going to do with the one that went flat? raplcae it and hang the new tire under your truck again?

It is not recommended to drive with tires of differing tread depth. Its going to mess with your accelerating, braking and cornering. It could screw up the tread wear of your other 3 good tires. 

So your desire to save having to patch and replace 1 tire could cause you multiple different problems. Unless like you say, you have more money than you know what do do with, so you can just buy a set of 4 new tires when you get a puncture in 1.

1 hour ago, aseibel said:

I thought of something. Lets say you got 40,000 miles on your current tires and you blow one. You want to take your brand new wheel and tire out from under your truck and mount it and forget about it. What are you going to do with the one that went flat? raplcae it and hang the new tire under your truck again?

It is not recommended to drive with tires of differing tread depth. Its going to mess with your accelerating, braking and cornering. It could screw up the tread wear of your other 3 good tires. 

So your desire to save having to patch and replace 1 tire could cause you multiple different problems. Unless like you say, you have more money than you know what do do with, so you can just buy a set of 4 new tires when you get a puncture in 1.

Agreed... thanks for the added thoughts.

• 10 months later...

Wow reading this people dont understand... 

Stock tire size is 32ish. So going to 35s there ks no way you can just throw the stock on there to get home. Thats super unsafe. For me I'm putting 35s on my truck and I travel a ton for work so I need a full size spare to at least get me home or to the next tire shop that can get me a tire.

So OP did you ever figure this out? Will a 35 fit under there? Thats the route i wanna go too. Like i said it gets me to the tire shop to fix or replace the blown tire. And honestly unless your tires at completely worn and you put a brand new one on the difference is negligible. Just keep the newish one up front.

On 7/8/2020 at 8:43 AM, Dersch said:

Wow reading this people dont understand... 

Stock tire size is 32ish. So going to 35s there ks no way you can just throw the stock on there to get home. Thats super unsafe.

What about every passenger car riding around on a donut spare? its printed right on the side to keep the speed under 55 or something.

they work temporarily. They are not meant for regular use.

You can throw your 32" spare on and drive home. If you have mismatched size tires on the drive axle, you will be wearing the differential more, but it could still get you 5 miles to the next tire shop.