Adaptive Cruise Control on 2019 Sierra/Silverado

Let me preface by saying i'm indifferent to adaptive cruise control and more asking this from a feasibility point of view.

I was looking at the adaptive cruise control description on the 2020 GMC models and it seems adaptive cruise was implemented using the cameras rather than radar. It seems to me that 2019 models with Driver Assist II package (forward emergency braking, distance, ...) already have all the hardware to support this. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but if there is no new hardware, then it's only software. 

Does anyone think GM would/could offer this for the 2019 models? 

adaptive_cruise.thumb.jpg.7f2e9f5affc35310b1171587b3c90f7e.jpg

1 hour ago, GTPprix said:

There are quite a few hardware changes to make this happen (more than you'd think ;)) if this is something you truly want to do drop us a line from our site  and we can discuss it :)

How can I reach you... got some things that you may be able to help with.

4 hours ago, GTPprix said:

There are quite a few hardware changes to make this happen (more than you'd think ;)) if this is something you truly want to do drop us a line from our site  and we can discuss it :)

That's interesting. From the description, i assumed there were no hardware changes. I honestly don't have a need for adaptive cruise. This was more of a curiosity than anything. 

Below is the reply I got... certainly not going to invest in adaptive cruise :)

its doable but its a huge job, different camera, adding a few modules, steering wheel change, cluster programming, bcm programming etc. Doable but pretty expensive :(

Below is the reply I got... certainly not going to invest in adaptive cruise [emoji4]

its doable but its a huge job, different camera, adding a few modules, steering wheel change, cluster programming, bcm programming etc. Doable but pretty expensive [emoji20]

Is that for those of us that already have the radar set following distance style of cruise control?

15 minutes ago, jflan23 said:

Is that for those of us that already have the radar set following distance style of cruise control?

As far as I know, the Sierra/Silverado don't have radar. Following distance monitor, forward emergency braking, etc are all implemented using the windshield camera. 

32 minutes ago, Fuelie said:

Below is the reply I got... certainly not going to invest in adaptive cruise :)

its doable but its a huge job, different camera, adding a few modules, steering wheel change, cluster programming, bcm programming etc. Doable but pretty expensive :(

Yeah, definitely no interest in paying for it. Now, if they gave it for free, I would gladly accept. ?

Has anyone figured out a way to record the rear view mirror camera. Seems like such a waste to have to buy and install a rear view dash cam when there is a perfectly high definition functional one in the car. Maybe GM can do us a solid like what Tesla did for their customers. Tesla vehicles can now record from the cameras unto a usb flash drive. I would actually be willing to pay a little to have this feature. 

• Like 1

As far as I know, the Sierra/Silverado don't have radar. Following distance monitor, forward emergency braking, etc are all implemented using the windshield camera. 

I did not know that, interesting. But that camera is different then the “new” one that allows true adaptive cruise control?

I also would love to use the vehicle cameras and record them as a dash cam.

55 minutes ago, jflan23 said:

I did not know that, interesting. But that camera is different then the “new” one that allows true adaptive cruise control?

I also would love to use the vehicle cameras and record them as a dash cam.

Yep, there is no mention of radar in the manual (i searched). Hopefully, we will see camera record-ability feature available soon from a 3rd party. Fingers crossed. 

1 hour ago, 2018GMC said:

GM is offering Adaptive cruise in the 2020 1500 Trucks. Could always trade up!

Shoot, you really gotta want it pretty bad to trade a one year old truck. I won’t even consider a move until the refresh and probably not even then unless some other really great things are added like a supercharger maybe...

I guess ACC would be kind of cool but if it’s anything more than a reflash, I’m out.

Adaptive cruise has been available on 2015+ GM SUV Tahoe, suburban, Yukon, Yukon xl..

The usual GM holding out on tech for trucks to add it years later to get people to buy the next years model.