Adaptive Cruise Control on 2019 Sierra/Silverado

On 8/23/2019 at 11:41 AM, truck_newbie said:

Does anyone think GM would/could offer this for the 2019 models? 

Could? I don't know. Would? Absolutely not.  Then you'd have no reason to trade up for the 2020... ?

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if ACC can be disabled and normal cruise control be utilized?  If the 2020 only has the ACC available and it works as well as the Yukon did I am going to snatch up a 2019 quick. 

I am not a fan of GM's adaptive cruise control at all.  Had it in both of my wife's 2015 & 2016 Yukon Denalis and it was horribly inconsistent.  Overall ACC defeats the purpose of setting a speed, if it varies with all the left lane idiots in front you become one of the left lane sheep.  So, I am looking at end of year deals on 2019 Sierra Denalis and know the 2020's have ACC.  Any insight is appreciated.

Can anyone tell me if ACC can be disabled and normal cruise control be utilized?  If the 2020 only has the ACC available and it works as well as the Yukon did I am going to snatch up a 2019 quick. 

I am not a fan of GM's adaptive cruise control at all.  Had it in both of my wife's 2015 & 2016 Yukon Denalis and it was horribly inconsistent.  Overall ACC defeats the purpose of setting a speed, if it varies with all the left lane idiots in front you become one of the left lane sheep.  So, I am looking at end of year deals on 2019 Sierra Denalis and know the 2020's have ACC.  Any insight is appreciated.

If it’s like most current products hold the cancel button to disable ACC.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2019 Yukon SLT with adaptive cruise control and if I could I would trade the car back in for one without ACC.  The only way to shut ACC off is to not use cruise control.  There is no way to shut off ACC but still have regular cruise.  Whenever I use the ACC on trips at least once or twice per trip the car will incorrectly detect a car in front of me and slam on the brakes.  Here I am on the freeway traveling 75 mph and the next second I'm at 55 mph.  This is extremely dangerous especially if there is traffic behind me.  You have to shut the cruise off or slam on the gas to get it going back up to speed.  The owners manual says ACC may not work properly on hilly or windy roads.  Uh, hello, that's pretty much every road here in Washington State.  ACC is a horrible system that makes me not want to buy a GMC again.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Pime Time said:

I have a 2019 Yukon SLT with adaptive cruise control and if I could I would trade the car back in for one without ACC.  The only way to shut ACC off is to not use cruise control.  There is no way to shut off ACC but still have regular cruise.  Whenever I use the ACC on trips at least once or twice per trip the car will incorrectly detect a car in front of me and slam on the brakes.  Here I am on the freeway traveling 75 mph and the next second I'm at 55 mph.  This is extremely dangerous especially if there is traffic behind me.  You have to shut the cruise off or slam on the gas to get it going back up to speed.  The owners manual says ACC may not work properly on hilly or windy roads.  Uh, hello, that's pretty much every road here in Washington State.  ACC is a horrible system that makes me not want to buy a GMC again.

Guess i can stop complaining about the k2xx 2014 - 2018 trucks not having ACC. 

I'd be very surprised if the 2020 with ACC didn't have the option to switch over to conventional cruise control.  I have two vehicles with ACC and both allow you to switch over to regular CC.  The owner's manual should have instructions on how to do it. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 12:54 PM, Fuelie said:

Below is the reply I got... certainly not going to invest in adaptive cruise :)

its doable but its a huge job, different camera, adding a few modules, steering wheel change, cluster programming, bcm programming etc. Doable but pretty expensive :(

Define "pretty expensive"?  I'm sure it's something I don't want to pay that much for, but just curious on what it would cost, since I do about 60 highway miles a day. 

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Sees the 2020 Sierra Owners Manual says that the ACC can be switched back to regular cruise, if desired.

Switching Between ACC and Regular Cruise Control

To switch between ACC and regular cruise control, press and hold *.
A Driver Information Display (DIC) message displays.

See Vehicle Messages pg 156.

When ACC is engaged, a green indicator will be lit on the instrument cluster and the following gap will be displayed.

When the regular cruise control is engaged, a (different) green indicator will be lit on the instrument cluster; the following gap will not display.

When the vehicle is turned on, the cruise control mode will be set to the last mode used before the vehicle was turned off. 

And there's more, of course. 

And of course, this doesn't mean that's how it works in a Yukon.  Some of GM's ACC literature indicates there may be differences in how if functions in different applications (or maybe just different ACC generations)

Edited by redwngr

6 hours ago, redwngr said:

Sees the 2020 Sierra Owners Manual says that the ACC can be switched back to regular cruise, if desired.

Switching Between ACC and Regular Cruise Control

To switch between ACC and regular cruise control, press and hold *.
A Driver Information Display (DIC) message displays.

See Vehicle Messages pg 156.

When ACC is engaged, a green indicator will be lit on the instrument cluster and the following gap will be displayed.

When the regular cruise control is engaged, a (different) green indicator will be lit on the instrument cluster; the following gap will not display.

When the vehicle is turned on, the cruise control mode will be set to the last mode used before the vehicle was turned off. 

And there's more, of course. 

And of course, this doesn't mean that's how it works in a Yukon.  Some of GM's ACC literature indicates there may be differences in how if functions in different applications (or maybe just different ACC generations)

This. I have never driven any vehicle with ACC till I got my 2020 Sierra on Thursday. I did not even know how to use it really well till this weekend. There are 2 different icons for ACC. One is when the ACC is active the icon looks like a speedometer with a car on the top right. The other when it's not active is just the speedometer. I read the comments above and looked at a video on how the system works. It showed to make the system not active to press and hold the cancel button. I tried this today and it changed the icon from active ACC to non active ACC. I also got a warning on the DIC that following distance and auto braking were not active in that mode. The truck worked just fine like the old cruise in my 16 had.

Yes the ACC is not standard. It comes on the Driver Alert Package 2 which is included in the SLT Premium plus package that my truck has.

• Like 1