Adaptive Cruise Control on 2019 Sierra/Silverado

31 minutes ago, PapaBrewFly said:

I am really enjoying the ACC in my ‘20 HC. I was waiting for GM to offer adaptive cruise before I updated from my ‘06 Sierra SLT, and I am happy with it. I learned to love ACC by driving my wife’s fully loaded 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee- it has radar based ACC and it works well. The new truck’s camera based system is pretty much just as good so far, though I have not tested it in heavy rain or fog yet. But one excellent feature that the truck does that the jeep did not is full Stop and Go without using your foot! I was following a vehicle on a highway, and my truck maintained the following gap as it slowed from 65 MPH to a full stop at a stop light, remained at a full stop for several seconds, then when the preceding vehicle got a green light and continued, my truck started back up and accelerated to maintain the set following gap Once again up to 65 mph. The jeep would have cancelled the cruise at 25 mph or so and hit you with warning lights and maybe brake slam. The truck is perfectly happy slowing you to a stop and then going again. Good job GM! Now we just need hands free lane keep so I don’t have to hold the wheel either.

Careful what you wish for.

No steering wheel is close.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/01/12/577688125/gm-says-car-with-no-steering-wheel-or-pedals-ready-for-streets-in-2019

gm-cruise-av-d823e0c70adf86785f1af612443f597fb230c186-s1600-c85.jpg

7 minutes ago, redwngr said:

I might be okay with that as long as I can drink beer or take a nap while it drives me around. 

Truth be told, I think we are still a good ways away from that, maybe a couple decades or more considering the amount of lawyers in this country. You need that human element so you can place him at-fault. Robots and engineers are no fun in a court room.

3 hours ago, PapaBrewFly said:

I might be okay with that as long as I can drink beer or take a nap while it drives me around. 

Truth be told, I think we are still a good ways away from that, maybe a couple decades or more considering the amount of lawyers in this country. You need that human element so you can place him at-fault. Robots and engineers are no fun in a court room.

Won't be that long...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30303240/gm-nhtsa-talks-autonomous-vehicles-no-steering-wheels/

Edited by redwngr

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 10:47 AM, GTPprix said:

There are quite a few hardware changes to make this happen (more than you'd think ;)) if this is something you truly want to do drop us a line from our site  and we can discuss it :)

I'm interested to find out the cost to retrofit a 2019 high country with safety II already installed to adaptive cruise. how can I contact you?

I saw a video from a company called Comma.ai and it uses the existing equipment on vehicles and a camera mounted to the windshield to do auto pilot things. Their website is https://comma.ai/ 

They didn't have the Silverado listed yet, but seems promising (and pretty cool tech as seen in the video below) 

I'm not sure if it would work with the 2019, or even the 2020's, but I'd consider adding it for those times I need to travel long distances.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2019 at 1:26 PM, truck_newbie said:

Yeah, definitely no interest in paying for it. Now, if they gave it for free, I would gladly accept. ?

Has anyone figured out a way to record the rear view mirror camera. Seems like such a waste to have to buy and install a rear view dash cam when there is a perfectly high definition functional one in the car. Maybe GM can do us a solid like what Tesla did for their customers. Tesla vehicles can now record from the cameras unto a usb flash drive. I would actually be willing to pay a little to have this feature. 

How expensive we talking ?? I'd be interested in adding it to my 19 highcountry 

On 1/6/2020 at 11:29 AM, redwngr said:

Can you drive from passenger seat, or take over from passenger seat if necessary?

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 11:28 PM, jgisonfire said:

I saw a video from a company called Comma.ai and it uses the existing equipment on vehicles and a camera mounted to the windshield to do auto pilot things. Their website is https://comma.ai/ 

They didn't have the Silverado listed yet, but seems promising (and pretty cool tech as seen in the video below) 

I'm not sure if it would work with the 2019, or even the 2020's, but I'd consider adding it for those times I need to travel long distances.

These things are like $1,000 but might consider one if it had dash cam that can record.

23 hours ago, Thestig60363 said:

How expensive we talking ?? I'd be interested in adding it to my 19 highcountry 

I'd be interested if you can have dash cam recording, or add radar and use existing camera for recording dash cam, and keep cost at $1,000 or even lower, lol.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have anymore info about the comma.ai system for the 2019 new body style 1500 trucks with LKA?  Specifically, why will it not work? Has any work been done towards making it work?

Edited by jbr1888
Add specific questions

On 5/22/2020 at 10:29 AM, jbr1888 said:

Does anyone have anymore info about the comma.ai system for the 2019 new body style 1500 trucks with LKA?  Specifically, why will it not work? Has any work been done towards making it work?

It will "work" with lots of programming involved according to the community developer using the comma's system to interface with GM's control modules, it is out of reach for anyone that does not have the ability to modify and program ECM or any other OEM modules. I am following the community group for GM, it is doable with vehicles that has only Lane Keep Assist, the openpilot system will take care of the distance and keeping the vehicle in the center of the lane. Having Lane Keep Assist ensures the vehicle has the digital means to be interfaced for steering.

I have a 2020 AT4, Adaptive Cruise Control can be turned off, but it actually works really well. I do want to point out, I had my old truck's snow tires on when I first got the 2020 AT4, the Adaptive Cruise Control was acting strange, feels as if it is a little slow to make changes to speed or apply brake. After I changed to 33.5 inch tires, Adaptive Cruise works very well. The vehicle has the ability to stay in the center of the lane, but GM has limit the amount of steering assist it will provide.

I have the adaptive cruise control, and for the most part, I don't use.  I usually just use manual.  It works OK, but every once in a while it go nuts if someone is say two lanes over and moves one lane closer, or changes lanes across you.  Red lights flash on the windshield from the HUD, and slams on the brakes. I have people behind me take evasive manuevers  and there glare at me like I can't drive lol.  Hopefully there is a software update soon. 

Where it does shine is on the interstates when you are just following someone.  Works great.  But on Houston freeways with people changing lanes a lot and moving around, not so much.

On 8/23/2019 at 1:47 PM, GTPprix said:

There are quite a few hardware changes to make this happen (more than you'd think ;)) if this is something you truly want to do drop us a line from our site  and we can discuss it :)

I just bought a 2020 gmc 3500 AT4  ..I am trying to figure out if I have it???  It says LD model only??   I have been looking in manual however, it does not appear that I have?  I spent over $70K fully loaded you would think this would be included????

I just bought a 2020 gmc 3500 AT4  ..I am trying to figure out if I have it???  It says LD model only??   I have been looking in manual however, it does not appear that I have?  I spent over $70K fully loaded you would think this would be included????

Drop us a line from our site at www.whiteautoandmedia.com however I’m 99.9% sure it’s not available on 3500’s.

1 hour ago, jojo ma said:

LD only.
There are lots of threads about this. 

And everyone here knows what they cost.

• Like 2