Auto Stop Feature not working

I keep meaning to post my findings over the past week. Prior to shutdown, I unplug my radar detector. I don’t plug radar detector back into the outlet until engine has been started. This has been working flawlessly for just over 1 week.

since I am not perfect, I do forget to follow these steps from time to time, and the auto shut off fails when the above steps are not followed. Leads me to the assumption that there is something goin on with the wiring or perhaps the infotainment system, and or the open circuit code some others are getting. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 2020 1500 LT( 8 speed trans) with only about 1500 miles on it...mostly city driving so far (25~40 mph).  The auto stop worked fine at first, even in semi cold weather...worked enough to make it noticeable but I decided to leave it on to see if I could get used to it.  Around 800 miles it stopped working, like others have said, can't say I miss it terribly but wondering what is wrong.  Probably crazy but about the same time I noticed the auto climate control system acting wacky.  I have it set at 70 degrees...when I start the truck it will blow full cold until the truck gets warmed up and then the air obviously warms up...in my 2015 Sierra  it would not blow air until the engine was warm enough....and lastly, seems a little rough (transmission) when rolling through traffic at 28-35 mph, like it can't find the gear it wants.  Anybody seeing all these symptoms in a newer 1500?

• 5 weeks later...

I took my truck in for the 3 recalls a couple of weeks back.  The Service writer said that the ABS fix might correct the Auto Stop not working.  I got the truck back and after a good run to get everything up to operating temperature, but alas it still does NOT auto stop.  I will take it in after the Shelter In Place is lifted and have that fixed.  I am certain all they will do is reflash the ECM and it will work for a little while afterward anyhow.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 9:03 AM, Waldo Bresh said:

I have a 2020 1500 LT( 8 speed trans) with only about 1500 miles on it...mostly city driving so far (25~40 mph).  The auto stop worked fine at first, even in semi cold weather...worked enough to make it noticeable but I decided to leave it on to see if I could get used to it.  Around 800 miles it stopped working, like others have said, can't say I miss it terribly but wondering what is wrong.  Probably crazy but about the same time I noticed the auto climate control system acting wacky.  I have it set at 70 degrees...when I start the truck it will blow full cold until the truck gets warmed up and then the air obviously warms up...in my 2015 Sierra  it would not blow air until the engine was warm enough....and lastly, seems a little rough (transmission) when rolling through traffic at 28-35 mph, like it can't find the gear it wants.  Anybody seeing all these symptoms in a newer 1500?

I did notice that my climate control blows full force sometimes, it is a little annoying.  I have noticed that my infotainment won't mute and I get an intermittent message on the screen telling me that my rear camera needs servicing.  I am convinced that if this truck was built in the US instead of Mexico I wouldn't have all these problems.

Update on my 2019 1500 GMC for anyone who cares. Auto stop still not functioning correctly. 23,000 miles so for and truck still running great. Noticed cruising down the highway around 65 miles an hour the engine light started flashing slowly. Light stopped after 5 miles and the truck never missed a beat. Called dealer and they said bring it in right away as the flashing light can be serious. Anyways long story short the dealer has ordered a new ECM and stated that that may be the problem all along. IDK but I am definitely purchasing an extended warranty!!! ECM is on order and will not be in for a week or so. Dealer let me take my truck and asked me to keep an eye on the engine light. Auto stop is now working again for the time being.  Love the truck and ride but getting aggravated as to what is continually going on with the Auto Stop feature.

1 hour ago, jhuff said:

Update on my 2019 1500 GMC for anyone who cares. Auto stop still not functioning correctly. 23,000 miles so for and truck still running great. Noticed cruising down the highway around 65 miles an hour the engine light started flashing slowly. Light stopped after 5 miles and the truck never missed a beat. Called dealer and they said bring it in right away as the flashing light can be serious. Anyways long story short the dealer has ordered a new ECM and stated that that may be the problem all along. IDK but I am definitely purchasing an extended warranty!!! ECM is on order and will not be in for a week or so. Dealer let me take my truck and asked me to keep an eye on the engine light. Auto stop is now working again for the time being.  Love the truck and ride but getting aggravated as to what is continually going on with the Auto Stop feature.

Let us know if that fixes the auto stop issue.

So my auto stop stopped working a couple weeks after I got the truck. About a week ago my kids were playing around in the back and knocked out the cigarette charger for my camera. Lo and behold it’s working again. So it seems if you have any aux power plugged in it won’t shut off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So my auto stop stopped working a couple weeks after I got the truck. About a week ago my kids were playing around in the back and knocked out the cigarette charger for my camera. Lo and behold it’s working again. So it seems if you have any aux power plugged in it won’t shut off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe that's what it is. The first time it happened I disconnected the battery and it started working again. This last time, I just unplugged my dash cam over night

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Unplugging my camera did work a couple of times but since it does not make any difference. Pay attention to your volt meter as mine is at 15-17 when the Auto Stop feature inst working. After dealer clears or resets the ECM the volt meter returns to 10-12 and Auto Stop works again. I am hoping that the new ECM once installed will fix the issue. 

• 1 month later...

Hey, all. We recommend reaching out to your local dealership in order for them to take a look into your concerns. Our team is happy to help facilitate a service appointment . If interested, please send an email to [email protected] ATTN: Forum Username  with your contact information, VIN, brief description of your concern,  and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM's privacy policy, please visit http://bit.ly/2h3ZUnC. 

Aleigha W. 

Condition of the battery and charging system is one of the things auto start/stop monitors to decide if it will cause a stop. 

Camera left drawing juice when truck off may have resulted in battery charge lower than computer thinks is necessary for stop/start to function.

Auto Stops may not occur and/or Auto Starts may occur because:
. The climate control settings require the engine to be running to cool or heat the vehicle interior.
. The vehicle battery charge is low.
. The vehicle battery has recently been disconnected.
. Minimum vehicle speed has not been reached since the last Auto Stop.
. The accelerator pedal is pressed.
. The engine or transmission is not at the required operating temperature.
. The outside temperature is not in the required operating range.
. The vehicle is in any gear other than D (Drive).
. Tow/Haul Mode or other driver modes have been selected.
. The vehicle is on a steep hill or grade.
. The driver door has been opened or the driver seat belt has been unbuckled.
. The hood has been opened.
. The Auto Stop has reached the maximum allowed time.

• Like 1