Auto Stop Feature not working

My 2019 Silverado 1500 is back in the shop again. It has had 4 recalls on it and last week the information center started flashing Service ESC, Service Parking Brake, Service Traction Control, and it had 4 check engine codes mostly P25A2. I had a couple of other things that needed to looked at as well (Service Back-up camera, the mute button on the radio worked sometimes, but mostly the Auto Start/Stop quit working after a week of having the truck), so I figured it was a great time to get that looked at as well. They told me that the battery failed and that was the reason for all of my troubles. I was told that the factory is using reconditioned batteries now days to save $, and that because my truck on their lot for 5 months it may have been a "lot queen" which is the vehicle used to jump start others on the lot. I picked the truck up on Wednesday and the repair order said all was fixed. On the way home I wanted to check the Auto start/stop, and just as I had thought it still didn't work so on Thursday it was taken back to the dealer. I checked into the status today and was told that the dealer has a case now pending with GM and they are waiting for GM to respond. Will this issue open the road to a "lemon law" claim? VERY frustrated.?

I leave my dashcam plugged in 24/7. My autostop works intermittently. Actually, for my daily commute, it’s perfect as I mostly hit stop signs and I’d rather the starter not be engaged 6 times. But if I drive elsewhere and hit a stop light it typically shuts off. Oddly enough, if I hit a red light the truck fires back up about 5 seconds before the light goes green. So it’s timed perfectly for a light cycle in my area.

I’m ok with mine working intermittently. I did notice that I hit the button on the console to shut it off and it didn’t work for a solid 1,000 miles. Put my truck in auto 4wd and then back to 2wd and it seemed to autostop more frequently after.

It’s weird for sure. This is my 4th vehicle with autostop and I honestly don’t care if it works or not. Typically can’t notice it.

On 5/31/2020 at 6:55 AM, DirtyAndy said:

I leave my dashcam plugged in 24/7. My autostop works intermittently. Actually, for my daily commute, it’s perfect as I mostly hit stop signs and I’d rather the starter not be engaged 6 times. But if I drive elsewhere and hit a stop light it typically shuts off. Oddly enough, if I hit a red light the truck fires back up about 5 seconds before the light goes green. So it’s timed perfectly for a light cycle in my area.

I’m ok with mine working intermittently. I did notice that I hit the button on the console to shut it off and it didn’t work for a solid 1,000 miles. Put my truck in auto 4wd and then back to 2wd and it seemed to autostop more frequently after.

It’s weird for sure. This is my 4th vehicle with autostop and I honestly don’t care if it works or not. Typically can’t notice it.

I have my dashcam hardwired into the passenger side fuse panel, but my camera has an auto power off function so it doesn't draw much power before the shut-off. I never tried the 4WD to 2WD switching, but if the truck is sold with a feature, it should work....I am sure there were $ on the price when I bought the truck  to have these "features".  Looks like the Dealer and GM are fighting it out.....I should hear something tomorrow.

• Like 1

I have my dashcam hardwired into the passenger side fuse panel, but my camera has an auto power off function so it doesn't draw much power before the shut-off. I never tried the 4WD to 2WD switching, but if the truck is sold with a feature, it should work....I am sure there were $ on the price when I bought the truck  to have these "features".  Looks like the Dealer and GM are fighting it out.....I should hear something tomorrow.

I see your point. There’s so many parameters for it. I remember in my 2017 Malibu it wouldn’t autostop if I had the wheel turned. Yet today I had my truck shut off at EVERY stop. Even less than 2 minutes into a cold start.

So if I have the AC on the auto stop doesn't work which I would expect. 

I also noticed that if I just have the defrost on that auto stop does not work.  I attached a picture with the defrost circled.  Even with the AC turned off.  I know that some vehicles will turn the AC on when the defroster is on so I am guessing that this is the case here.

chevy defrost.jpg

Edited by blckblt

There are several situations that will not activate the Auto Stop Feature. A/C load is one among a long list. Mine however when it does decide to work, it works when A/C is on and when the engine light was on once which it should not work at all.

GM cannot figure it out. When the Auto Stop Feature is not working at all, the volt meter is around 15-17 volt when running down the road. When the Auto stop feature is working properly then the volt meter holds and 13 volts running down the road. 

12 hours ago, Steve Darling said:

I just had my first oil change in my 2020 Silverado a week ago and now have the same issue. Pretty weird. 

Sorry to hear that Steve.  I truly believe that this is a big issue that GM is trying to fix. I got call from the dealer today saying that have installed the "part" that GM has told them to and that they will program the "device" overnight and then they will check the fix in the morning and let me know.  I don't know at this point what the part was (ECM?) but if it is fixed I will find out tomorrow.  There was a post from a GM Representative on a previous page and what we (and GM) needs is for everyone with this issue to get it to the dealership so that they can get as much information related to this as they can get.  I hope that GM has been working on a real and permanent fix for this feature that we paid for and should have the benefit of it if we choose to use it.

Our 2019 6.2L's auto stop isn't working for the second time. The first time our dealer replaced the battery and the auto stop worked well for a few months. Then at some point in the last few weeks it decided to stop working again. 

We have a device plugged into the 12v outlet, so i'm curious if that may be the problem. I'm going to unplug it and see if anything changes. I'll also be looking at the voltage levels to see if it's high or normal. 

2 hours ago, Zane said:

Our 2019 6.2L's auto stop isn't working for the second time. The first time our dealer replaced the battery and the auto stop worked well for a few months. Then at some point in the last few weeks it decided to stop working again. 

We have a device plugged into the 12v outlet, so i'm curious if that may be the problem. I'm going to unplug it and see if anything changes. I'll also be looking at the voltage levels to see if it's high or normal. 

I went and picked mine up this morning and the repair order says that the "Battery Sensor Module" was inoperative, that is what they think was causing the problem.  I noticed on the way home that the Auto Stop/Start feature worked only if the AC was off.  I am going to have to assume that this is the proper state the climate control must be in for the feature to work.  The owners manual doesn't specify that and I have seen that it should only not work  if the AC system was on MAX.  Well, I will keep any eye on it and if it stops working in the future the truck will be back at the dealer.

Edited by larryz4

• 1 month later...

Add me to the list. This feature has maybe worked a handful of times since I bought the truck (2020 Sierra 1500 AT4 6.2L) a month ago. Have about 500 miles on it now. Live in Phoenix so the AC is always on but I'm worried. I'm one of the folks that had electrical issues days after buying truck (truck would not start) but dealer said they fixed by tightening bolts on fuse box. That issue has resolved but still spotty on the auto stop feature. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, T.han90 said:

Mine stopped working yesterday but already had appt. at dealer for infotainment screen blank I’m thinking it’s a battery issue guess I’ll find out Saturday 

Mine was just in today for the auto stop. 20 Denali 1500 6.2 With 800 miles on it.  They said there was a service bulletin for it. Drove home with ac on, the auto stop didn’t come on once. My wife’s 18 Terrain works every time no matter what, ac on or what have you. Honestly, how much gas are we saving with this feature? I bought a V8 I knew what I was getting into with gas mileage. I’m leaving it off. 

1 hour ago, DarkSky20 said:

Mine was just in today for the auto stop. 20 Denali 1500 6.2 With 800 miles on it.  They said there was a service bulletin for it. Drove home with ac on, the auto stop didn’t come on once. My wife’s 18 Terrain works every time no matter what, ac on or what have you. Honestly, how much gas are we saving with this feature? I bought a V8 I knew what I was getting into with gas mileage. I’m leaving it off. 

Mine would come on all the time when not running ac and here and there when ac was on. Yeah I think same way but I did notice it dropped some on my mpg today when doing normal city driving errands gym etc. where the auto stop comes on at almost every light we’ll not today. See what they say Saturday since I got auto stop and infotainment issues 

Auto Stops may not occur and/or Auto Starts may occur because:

. The climate control settings require the engine to be running to cool or heat the vehicle interior.
. The vehicle battery charge is low.
. The vehicle battery has recently been disconnected.
. Minimum vehicle speed has not been reached since the last Auto Stop.
. The accelerator pedal is pressed.
. The engine or transmission is not at the required operating temperature.
. The outside temperature is not in the required operating range.
. The vehicle is in any gear other than D (Drive).
. Tow/Haul Mode or other driver modes have been selected.
. The vehicle is on a steep hill or grade.
. The driver door has been opened or the driver seat belt has been unbuckled.
. The hood has been opened.
. The Auto Stop has reached the maximum allowed time.

• Like 1