HIGH OCTANE FUEL 6.2L

The manual states high octane gas.

What's the difference in running a bottle of octane booster on top of a tank of 87 octane?

Difference at the pump is ~$12 per tank and a bottle of octane boost to treat a tank is less than $6.

Thoughts?

What's the difference in running a bottle of octane booster on top of a tank of 87 octane?
Difference at the pump is ~$12 per tank and a bottle of octane boost to treat a tank is less than $6.
Thoughts?

What year do you have? My 2019 manual says 87.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Villain said:

What year do you have? My 2019 manual says 87.

you sure? 87 for the 5.3, but suggests 93 for the 6.2. 87 can be used but at the cost of performance and fuel economy 

https://my.gmc.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2019/GMC/sierra-1500/2018-gmc-sierra-denali-owners-manual.pdf

• Like 1

you sure? 87 for the 5.3, but suggests 93 for the 6.2. 87 can be used but at the cost of performance and fuel economy 

https://my.gmc.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2019/GMC/sierra-1500/2018-gmc-sierra-denali-owners-manual.pdf

You’re right! I guess that’s where my attention span snapped in my late night readings!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, oldmann said:

I am running 89 in my 6.2 and the extra $0.25 is worth the extra 5 or 6 MPG I get.  I have not tried 93 yet.  Too much spark knock with 87 for sure.

5 or 6 MPG? What is wrong with your truck? It should be around 1 maybe 2 mpg tops. We run 87 in our 6.2 most of the time, you would be hard pressed to tell a difference of the 15 or so hp lost and we are just over 1 mpg difference between the two octanes. If you are seeing a 5 mpg difference, your truck is broken and needs to get looked at...

This was an excellent article on comparing the different octanes in the same vehicles of different types and engines. 

OP, 87 is fine if you want to save a little and you aren't pushing the truck hard in the middle of summer or towing regularly. It actually works out to saving money using 87 as the mpg penalty isn't much compared to the price savings per gallon.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-feature/a28565486/honda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/

Tyler

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

5 or 6 MPG? What is wrong with your truck? It should be around 1 maybe 2 mpg tops. We run 87 in our 6.2 most of the time, you would be hard pressed to tell a difference of the 15 or so hp lost and we are just over 1 mpg difference between the two octanes. If you are seeing a 5 mpg difference, your truck is broken and needs to get looked at...

This was an excellent article on comparing the different octanes in the same vehicles of different types and engines. 

OP, 87 is fine if you want to save a little and you aren't pushing the truck hard in the middle of summer or towing regularly. It actually works out to saving money using 87 as the mpg penalty isn't much compared to the price savings per gallon.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-feature/a28565486/honda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/

Tyler

I guess I will have to re-evaluate.  It was on a different trip, maybe other factors played into it. 

my truck did not like 87 at all. I purchased it used and the dealer had 87 in it. Pinged badly.  We only have 91 here, and no problems since. so you may want to give it a trial run first. The newer 6.2s might be better suited. 

Edited by Roscopcoletrain

48 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

Tyler

30 minutes ago, Roscopcoletrain said:

my truck did not like 87 at all. I purchased it used and the dealer had 87 in it. Pinged badly.  We only have 91 here, and no problems since. so you may want to give it a trial run first. The newer 6.2s might be better suited. 

Yeah, I ran a tank of 87 through my '18. Truck did not like it at all. Could tell KR was coming in hard when driving, even at light to medium throttle. Truck just was NOT liking it soup to nuts. Babied it until the tank was out and put 93 back in.

In the grand scheme of things, you're really not saving much money, and you'll be out that on the other end with potential for issues anyway running lower than recommended octane.

13 hours ago, hd.brown77 said:

Thoughts?

0.20 difference between reg and prem here.  That equals $5.20 a tank.