Odd hesitation on 2015 Sierra 2500 6.0L

My truck has had an odd hesitation that started a few weeks ago. To me it feels like a bad spark plug, wire or COP. I have tried to test and narrow it down, but looking for some thoughts.

Truck has 55k on it. Mods are K&N intake/filter, Gibson dual exhaust, 2017 Duramas hood (full ram air hood) and a Diablo tune. No other mods besides tires.

The hesitation only happens after the truck is warmed up. When it is cold, it doesn't do it. It is a slight hesitation/stuttering. Doesn't matter if it is going up a hill or flat. 

I have changed the plugs (replaced with stock) and changed the wires (again with stock). Really don't want to waste $400 on a set of COPs unless I need to. Cleaned the K&N. All this made it a little better, but it still happens. I reverted back to the stock tune, it didn't change anything. Tried running it in trailer-mode, still happens. 

Thoughts?

My truck does a hesitation it feels like if I'm not on it , and just rolling through want to say 2nd to 3rd if I give it more gas seems to go away.  Have basically the same mods you have minus the tune but, kind or feels like when you shift into to high of a gear n truck lugs a bit .

I have a 2016 2500 6.0 , dont know if we are experiencing the same thing but going to be bringing it in soon

3 hours ago, WhiTeOuT16HD said:

My truck does a hesitation it feels like if I'm not on it , and just rolling through want to say 2nd to 3rd if I give it more gas seems to go away.  Have basically the same mods you have minus the tune but, kind or feels like when you shift into to high of a gear n truck lugs a bit .

I have a 2016 2500 6.0 , dont know if we are experiencing the same thing but going to be bringing it in soon

Sounds like the same thing. It is definitely with lite throttle and between 2nd/3rd gear. And it goes away if I give it more gas. 

Please let me know what you find out. I will do the same if I find a fix. 

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, AbzDad said:

Sounds like the same thing. It is definitely with lite throttle and between 2nd/3rd gear. And it goes away if I give it more gas. 

Please let me know what you find out. I will do the same if I find a fix. 

Thanks!

I surely will keep you posted as soon as I find anything out 

Torque converter?  We've replaced some on 6.0/6L90 trucks for shudders and hesitations in the 2-3 gear, 20-40mph range.  Between 2015-2017 model years, between 13-67k miles, some with tow haul on or off.  Some had P0741 code, converter clutch stuck off.

#19-NA-153: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated - DTC P0741 Set - (Aug 7, 2019)

Some customers may comment that the MIL is Illuminated.

Some technicians may find DTC P0741 (Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) System Stuck Off) set as an active or history code.

This condition may be caused by a damaged clutch friction material in the torque converter in vehicles with mileage above 30,000.

Perform a line pressure check.

• If the line pressure is low, check the trans pump for damage and refer to the latest version of PI1447.
  1. Connect GDS to the vehicle for a road test.
  2. Select TCM and navigate to the TCC dynamic test screen.
  3. Drive the vehicle at approximately 10 mph and command the TCC on and off several times. Note if the TCC engages;
    • Should feel TCC engagement and see tachometer drop.
    • TCC slip speed will drop to near zero.
  • If TCC does not engage, refer to SI for P0741 to test for circuit/electrical problem and/or sticking TCC apply valve.
  • If the TCC does engage, refer to the Service Procedure below.

•  
Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

I’d run fuel injector cleaner. Had same thing happen to me with a 16 Yukon, dealer wanted to charge me a few hundred so took it home and started using Lucas Fuel treatment and after a few tanks it just disappeared. I’ve been using it in my fuel in every vehicle on every other fill up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am at the dealership now and they are looking into the problem. The service manager told me there are known issues with the 15/16 transmission and torque converter. They have three 2500s in the shop right now for tranny/torque converter issues. 

dealership could not replicate the issue with the torque converter. They turned it on/off and tried to force it, but it didn't fail. They now are looking at the A/C, as that seems to have a direct correlation with the stumbling/hesitation.

I have noticed the same thing in a few similar trucks I’ve driven.   I wonder if the variable valve timing leans to the economy side and that is the hesitation that is felt.  Def sub’d to see what the outcome is. 

Edited by DaBomb6988

On 9/4/2019 at 2:54 PM, AbzDad said:

I am at the dealership now and they are looking into the problem. The service manager told me there are known issues with the 15/16 transmission and torque converter. They have three 2500s in the shop right now for tranny/torque converter issues. 

First I have really heard of this. Seems once in a while these trucks need torque converters but it doesnt seem like a common issue at all. Sure they are not talking about 1500?

On 9/9/2019 at 12:07 PM, GTBensley said:

First I have really heard of this. Seems once in a while these trucks need torque converters but it doesnt seem like a common issue at all. Sure they are not talking about 1500?

I couldn't see the all the trucks, but he did point out one that was on a lift which was a 2500.

The dealership didn't fix anything. They basically told me if it gets worse to come back and see them. 

I still feel like it is a transmission issue, as the issues didn't start until after I had the tranny flushed at the dealership. Prior to that, it was rock solid. I just wish it would throw a CEL and I would have something to go off of. Right now, no CEL and nothing points to an issue. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well back to the dealership it goes... this time we are going to try a tranny fluid/filter change and not a flush. It seems to be getting worse with no real explanation from anyone. No CEL. I have taken people for rides and they keep asking me what is wrong with my truck. I am embarrassed to drive the truck with friends and family now, it is that bad. Have resorted to driving my wife's F*rd, if I need to take anyone with me.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...