Installed HUSKY Rear Wheel Well Liners (2019 Trail Boss)

A much needed, simple drop-in mod.  I like the HUSKY brand b/c they cover the chassis rail in addition to the wheel well area. IMHO they have better value than OEM, these cover more area and are cheaper by about $50 for the set vs factory version. 

Here is a before and after, installation was a breeze (on the 2nd one) once I had figured out the wrangling that needed to be done to get the first one in.  You have to get the top of the cover up into the lip of the wheel well seated completely then pop the bottom of the cover up into place in order for these to get in. 

wwa.jpg

IMG_3657.JPG

Edited by BobbyAlton
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, ChinkySuperman said:

Looks very nice, where did you get them and how much?

Edit: never mind on my part, went out to look and apparently my came with the liners, is this a trim dependent thing? I'll leave my question up as I'm sure some will wonder the  same thing.

Sure, I purchased this set on eBay, $121.00 and free shipping.  But HUSKY also sells them on their website https://www.huskyliners.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwsftiP635AIVCp6fCh1sUgp4EAAYASAAEgIqlPD_BwE

The GM OEM cloth liners are great, they just don't cover as much area(s) like the chassis rail.  My 2016 had them.  My 2019 Custom Trim Trail Boss did not come with these.  But if your truck does and you prefer the HUSKY version, they can be easily removed (the instructions from HUSKY come with info on this) and I suppose you could even sell your old set on eBay.  The GM OEM versions are $150, plus shipping, $30 or so.

19 hours ago, Snuff said:

Look good! My RST came with liners but will keep these in mind if the GM’s don’t  last. I had my 2011 wheel wells sprayed with my bed and it lasted great also.

I've got the stock liners in my RST also and standard in my '16Z71. They look like pressed fiber composite but are extremely durable and the best part is the truck doesn't sound like a tin can in a hailstorm when going over and kicking up gravel. They not only cushion the rock hits but provide sound deadening from the bed shell and rear fenders. Aftermarkets look like made of plastic, noisier and likely to suffer damage from a rock hit in subzero weather. And fiber ones do not buildup salt, snow, ice or road ask crud in the Winter

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

I've got the stock liners in my RST also and standard in my '16Z71. They look like pressed fiber composite but are extremely durable and the best part is the truck doesn't sound like a tin can in a hailstorm when going over and kicking up gravel. They not only cushion the rock hits but provide sound deadening from the bed shell and rear fenders. Aftermarkets look like made of plastic, noisier and likely to suffer damage from a rock hit in subzero weather. And fiber ones do not buildup salt, snow, ice or road ask crud in the Winter

I agree 100% with the comment of the compressed fibre vs plastic. The plastic will not stand the test of time, especially in my climate. They may cover more of the chassis, but you don't want salt/sand/snow/ice to accumulate to the point where it causes issue either.

I disagree with the comment that the fibre ones do not buildup stuff in the winter. The salt and sand stick to them like peanut butter on shag carpet. They do tend to hold some material, and moisture, but it is easily pressure washed away/through the liner itself.

This is a bit of an extreme case, but the whole liner was frozen solid and about 3-4" of buildup.

image.jpeg.39c5627bc66409b81c317f8846d09c65.jpeg

11 hours ago, Thomcat said:

Yeah, my 2016 had those OEM Fabric liners as well.  Unfortunately, they covered only a small area of the wheel well and after about the first year, the chassis rails being so exposed started to show rust and lots of debris inside them.   Here are some pics from 2016.  So with my 2019, figured I'd give these Polyethelene HUSKY liners a try.  They are guaranteed to withstand rocks, it's more of a rubbery plastic. Also, no noise as far as I can tell.  Their website is all 5-stars on these things btw...

wheel well.jpg

well2.jpg

Edited by BobbyAlton

8 hours ago, BobbyAlton said:

Yeah, my 2016 had those OEM Fabric liners as well.  Unfortunately, they covered only a small area of the wheel well and after about the first year, the chassis rails being so exposed started to show rust and lots of debris inside them.   Here are some pics from 2016.  So with my 2019, figured I'd give these Polyethelene HUSKY liners a try.  They are guaranteed to withstand rocks, it's more of a rubbery plastic. Also, no noise as far as I can tell.  Their website is all 5-stars on these things btw...

wheel well.jpg

well2.jpg

the function of the liners is not to prevent rust, or to hide it though. But I understand where your coming from. The chassis issue is another totally separate ball of $hit.

Good to hear that there is no noise out of the husky liners, and it's not as "plastic-y" as you'd think.

• Like 1

for sure, it's slightly more cosmetic than it is functional.  covering the view of the chassis rail being that cosmetic end of it.   I can't help but wonder why GM doesn't put a high strength paint on the chassis versus the rub off stuff that's on there now?  When I restored my 1948 Chevrolet 3100 Truck, first thing I did was use a ceramic coating on the chassis.  Much better ?

chassis2.jpg

c2.jpg

chassis3.jpg

up.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BobbyAlton said:

for sure, it's slightly more cosmetic than it is functional.  covering the view of the chassis rail being that cosmetic end of it.   I can't help but wonder why GM doesn't put a high strength paint on the chassis versus the rub off stuff that's on there now?  When I restored my 1948 Chevrolet 3100 Truck, first thing I did was use a ceramic coating on the chassis.  Much better ?

chassis2.jpg

c2.jpg

chassis3.jpg

up.jpg

They either don’t want it to last,  under estimate the corrosiveness of some climates, or expect the steel to withstand corrosion and still hold its integrity.

We shouldn’t accept any of the excuses. I plan to manage it myself unfortunately 

Edited by tanner709
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 12:39 PM, BobbyAlton said:

A much needed, simple drop-in mod.  I like the HUSKY brand b/c they cover the chassis rail in addition to the wheel well area. IMHO they have better value than OEM, these cover more area and are cheaper by about $50 for the set vs factory version. 

Here is a before and after, installation was a breeze (on the 2nd one) once I had figured out the wrangling that needed to be done to get the first one in.  You have to get the top of the cover up into the lip of the wheel well seated completely then pop the bottom of the cover up into place in order for these to get in. 

wwa.jpg

IMG_3657.JPG

Looks great! I'm sold! 

Edited by TMD
spelling error
  • Thanks 1