2020 HD MultiPro Tailgate Hitch Ball Solution

While I'm sure we are all waiting for the adjustable hitch manufacturers to come out with a solution to work with the multipro tailgate. I decided to try and find something that was already around that would work. I originally had a b&w tow and stow, and it was set to 6 inches of drop for my 2020 which sits just about right for a level ride with my utility trailer. Got me to thinking is there a 6 inch drop hitch that has the angled design? And would it clear the new multipro tailgate fully deployed? The answer to both is YES! YES it does! Here is a link to a solution that works.  Hopefully this helps a few people.

Ultratow 6 inch Drop - Forged Steel Ball Mount

hitch1.jpg

hitch2.jpg

hitch3.jpg

hitch4.jpg

Edited by MrGraff
wording
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, MrGraff said:

While I'm sure we are all waiting for the adjustable hitch manufacturers to come out with a solution to work with the multipro tailgate. I decided to try and find something that was already around that would work. I originally had a b&w tow and stow, and it was set to 6 inches of drop for my 2020 which sits just about right for a level ride with my utility trailer. Got me to thinking is there a 6 inch drop hitch that has the angled design? And would it clear the new multipro tailgate fully deployed? The answer to both is YES! YES it does! Here is a couple of links to a couple options.  Hopefully this helps a few people.

Ultratow 6 inch Drop - Forged Steel Ball Mount

Curt 6 inch drop Forged Ball Mount

hitch1.jpg

hitch2.jpg

hitch3.jpg

hitch4.jpg

any reason why you didn't go with a 2.5" hitch instead of using the reducer?

3 hours ago, Chrisw253 said:

any reason why you didn't go with a 2.5" hitch instead of using the reducer?

2.5inch ball mounts are hard to find around here at least in the specific configuration needed to clear the multi pro.  Reducer doesn't really have any drawback from what I've seen other than maybe some weight limitations.

How do you guys feel about a way to lock out the upper tailgate when a hitch is installed? It would keep the upper gate from opening in case someone tried to open it that wasn't familiar with the flaw in this design. Can still use your existing hitch and receiver and the tailgate is still usable. 

I had not tested on the half ton trucks, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did work on all.  The only drawback maybe the drop is too low for the half tons.  Now technically speaking you could get a ball with a riser on it to gain some height back.  However I would think the riser ball would again hit the step when its engaged or pulled out.

Edited by MrGraff
wording

Ok There is a product coming out within a month or so that will stop the splitgate(upper gate) from opening if there is anything in the hitch. So you won’t have to worry if the splitgate is accidentally opened. This is especially good for people not familiar, ie employees, friends, family

16 hours ago, Rduatctt said:

Ok There is a product coming out within a month or so that will stop the splitgate(upper gate) from opening if there is anything in the hitch. So you won’t have to worry if the splitgate is accidentally opened. This is especially good for people not familiar, ie employees, friends, family

That's great to know, I'm sure there will be tons of aftermarket options for these tailgates.  The angled ball mount I posted doesn't require any worry as it clears regardless.

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2019 at 1:02 AM, MrGraff said:

That's great to know, I'm sure there will be tons of aftermarket options for these tailgates.  The angled ball mount I posted doesn't require any worry as it clears regardless.

Just an update to McGraff's post...

While the Curt and Ultra-tow look similar, the CURT has clearance issues. It is OK if you just drop the step-gate, it misses by just a little. However, the least amount pressure on the step or tailgate and it touches. 

A quick glance and you thing the Ultra-tow and Curt are made in the same place and are the same. They are not. The Curt has more radius which causes clearance issues.