I’m facing overheating on my 2014 1500 GMC Sierra 180k kilometers (around 120k miles) with the LT engine on idle only 

so when the car is running temperature goes back to normal.

I have tried to troubleshoot the cooling system and nothing is faulty, the coolant is flowing regularly which means water pump and thermostat are functioning good, fans are functioning as well, the coolant was changed 30k miles ago

Any help?

thanks 

esmaeil

Could be a partially plugged radiator.

I would have changed the coolant earlier.

Feel the rad. hoses when its idling.

The bottom hose should be cooler if the rad. is good I believe.

:)

You could have a air pocket. But also I would swap out the thermostat anyways. And you say the fans work but they are a speed regulated system so without a scanner it is impossible to know at what % they run at.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm thinking air pocket as well. They are a common problem with these capless radiators. The old way to "burp" the system was to fill the radiator and overflow tank, and start the vehicle. As it warms up, keep filling at the radiator until the level stabilizes, then top off the overflow tank.

Now? Fill it the best you can and drive it around until your temp gauge stops acting wonky.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Little late but maybe you figured it out already cause I’m having the same issue actually. Just scanned it last night and no codes at all popped up but when driving the gauge just takes off running to 245-260. I’ve bought the tool to vacuum the hoses and then when releasing the other end is in a 5gal bucket full of coolant to assure no air is going in. I changed the water pump, temp sensor, and thermostat TWICE hoping one was a boo-boo part. Charged the AC and for about 3 days ran great ice cold. But then no more AC. However, ran great for about a month without overheating. Cruised perfect at 210 but then all of a sudden notice gauge ran past 210 checked under the hood when pulled over and saw coolant was nearly empty from the reserve tank. So now I’m back to square one. Did you figure out the issues yet ? I hope so