2500 HD - 10,650 lbs. GVWR?

looking at the new 2500 HDs.....the gvw on these trucks are over 10k. obviously once over 10k you enter a whole new game of bullshit. is this new? i mean my 2015 3500 has the derating to 9999 or whatever. i didn't think the 3/4 tons passed the 10k mark. 

looking into it further...if you want nice wheels, you have to have the 10,6 GVW. if you want to keep it at 10 you have to have 17" rims. not sure what their reasoning is for this.....but in MA over 10k you need USDOT numbers, if you travel more than 100 miles from home base you need a log book, medical card, etc. its already a pain for my one ton dump i dont need it in a regular pickup.

3 hours ago, tom18287 said:

looking into it further...if you want nice wheels, you have to have the 10,6 GVW. if you want to keep it at 10 you have to have 17" rims. not sure what their reasoning is for this.....but in MA over 10k you need USDOT numbers, if you travel more than 100 miles from home base you need a log book, medical card, etc. its already a pain for my one ton dump i dont need it in a regular pickup.

You can order any 2500 with CGO option that will restrict to 10,000 lb gvw in US and 9900 lb in Canada.

#iworkforGM 

Edited by MTU Alum

3 hours ago, tom18287 said:

Are you using it for commercial purposes? Even in MA it appears to state it is exempt for private use. DOT regulations also seem to state that vehicles exceeding that threshold that are used for Commerce must register. Private use appears to be exempt from DOT - but states may require different drivers licenses when you add trailers (even for private use). There are states that offer CDL type licenses when your rig exceeds 26,001 GVWR, without the Commercial part for things like RV’s and such. Some states require that type of license when you have a 10K+ trailer even if the GVWR is less than 26,000lbs. The key to any of it is whether or not it is used in commercial applications. Some states force a commercial registration for pickup trucks regardless, but there are still exemptions for private use.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:02 AM, tom18287 said:

looking at the new 2500 HDs.....the gvw on these trucks are over 10k. obviously once over 10k you enter a whole new game of bullshit. is this new? i mean my 2015 3500 has the derating to 9999 or whatever. i didn't think the 3/4 tons passed the 10k mark. 

The new trucks all picked up on GVWR big time.  The 2500hd trucks are GVWR'd almost at the 2015-2019 3500hd trucks.

You can de-rate from the factory to 10,000lbs GVWR.  The way I read it from GM, over 10,000gvwr for business, you need your DOT stuff in line.

The build code for de-rate to 10,000lbs is C7A.

C7A from the order guide:

GVWR, 10,000 lbs. (4536 kg)
1 - CC20903, CK20903 and CC20753 models require (L8T) 6.6L V8 gas engine. (L5P) Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine is not available on the following models: CC20903, CK20903 and CC20753.  This applies to WT trim.

2 - CC20903, CK20903 and CC20753 models require (L8T) 6.6L V8 gas engine. When ordered with (ZW9) pickup bed delete, includes hard touch instrument panel-top pad. (L5P) Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine is not available on the following models: CC20903, CK20903 and CC20753.  This applies to LT trim.

3 - CC20753 models require (L8T) 6.6L V8 gas engine. When ordered with (ZW9) pickup bed delete, includes hard touch instrument panel-top pad. (L5P) Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine is not available on the following models: CC20753.  This applies to LTZ trim.

With de-rate, keep in mind you will lose payload and you will lose about 5% of tow rating over a non de-rated truck.  If diesel, you will lose a lot of 5th wheel rating. 

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:56 AM, MTU Alum said:

ou can order any 2500 with CGO option that will restrict to 10,000 lb gvw in US and 9900 lb in Canada.

#iworkforGM 

RPO CGO de-rate applies to Custom and High Country trim with 20" wheels only per GM.  However, per the vehicle order guide, CGO isn't even listed as a GVWR RPO code, just C7A.   

#iworkforGMtoo

On 9/15/2019 at 7:33 AM, tom18287 said:

Not for personal use.  NO truck or RV operator is required to have medical card, log book, CDL, DOT numbers, etc.  Those requirements for commercial vehicle operators, such as running a dump truck that you mentioned.   By it very name.... Commercial Drivers License... says it all.  It is not required for personal vehicle operators.  As was stated, there may be some additional license requirements by some states that require endorsements on the standard drivers license, but the majority have no such requirements.

I am in commercial trucking. If I decide at some point to quit the business and use my semi tractor to tow around a large 5th wheel RV, I will not be required to have medical card, DOT numbers, log book, etc....  intrastate or interstate.    I will probably just keep my CDL as it is my normal driving license anyway, including Motorcycle endorsement.  It would be stupid to chuck it out the window.  

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 9/17/2019 at 4:38 PM, newdude said:

The new trucks all picked up on GVWR big time.  The 2500hd trucks are GVWR'd almost at the 2015-2019 3500hd trucks.

You can de-rate from the factory to 10,000lbs GVWR.  The way I read it from GM, over 10,000gvwr for business, you need your DOT stuff in line.

The build code for de-rate to 10,000lbs is C7A.

C7A from the order guide:

With de-rate, keep in mind you will lose payload and you will lose about 5% of tow rating over a non de-rated truck.  If diesel, you will lose a lot of 5th wheel rating. 

RPO CGO de-rate applies to Custom and High Country trim with 20" wheels only per GM.  However, per the vehicle order guide, CGO isn't even listed as a GVWR RPO code, just C7A.   

#iworkforGMtoo

Where can I find more Information on this? 
when ordering a 2020 Sierra through my dealership in MA selecting the C7A code for 10,000 gvwr triggers federal emissions or California emissions(can’t remember which one) why would the gvwr change the emissions? Really don’t want to deal with the DOT number deal on this truck. 

thanks

kevin  

18 minutes ago, kag01510 said:

Where can I find more Information on this? 
when ordering a 2020 Sierra through my dealership in MA selecting the C7A code for 10,000 gvwr triggers federal emissions or California emissions(can’t remember which one) why would the gvwr change the emissions? Really don’t want to deal with the DOT number deal on this truck. 

thanks

kevin  

Are you trying to order a Denali?  If so, Denali can't be de-rated per the order guide if the truck requires NE1 or YF5 emissions:

https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2020&regionID=1&divisionID=2&type=0&vehicleID=21695&section=oi_def&page=6&butID=3

NE1:  Emissions, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington state requirements

YF5:  Emissions, California state requirements

GVWR, 10,000 lbs. (4536 kg)
1 - Available to all models with L8T Gas Engine. L5P Diesel requires TK20*53 or T*20*43 models. L5P Diesel Not Available with TC20743 or any Regular Cab models.
2 - Available to all models with L8T Gas Engine. L5P Diesel requires TK20*53 or T*20*43 models. L5P Diesel Not Available with TC20743 or any Regular Cab models. When ordered with (ZW9) pickup bed delete, includes hard touch instrument panel-top pad.
3 - Available to all models with L8T Gas Engine. L5P Diesel requires TK20*53 or T*20*43 models. L5P Diesel Not Available with TC20743. When ordered with (ZW9) pickup bed delete, includes hard touch instrument panel-top pad.
4 - Not available with (YF5) or (NE1) emissions.

Massachusetts is one of the 12 states that follows California emissions requirements for vehicles, so when they are configuring the truck, its forcing NE1 due to where you live, and then removes the C7A option.  

Base, SLE, AT4 and SLT aren't affected for C7A.  

Edited by newdude

Sorry should have elaborated,

the truck is 2020 GMC Sierra 2500 Double Cab SLT with 6.6 gas, the GVWR auto populated to 10,550. 

when applying code C7A it’s removing NE1 and forcing either YF5 or FE9 I believe(ill have to ask the dealer which one it forces again)

Is this an issue in MA?

my dealership advised against it after he couldn’t find a solid answer. 

Edited by kag01510

4 hours ago, kag01510 said:

Sorry should have elaborated,

the truck is 2020 GMC Sierra 2500 Double Cab SLT with 6.6 gas, the GVWR auto populated to 10,550. 

when applying code C7A it’s removing NE1 and forcing either YF5 or FE9 I believe(ill have to ask the dealer which one it forces again)

Is this an issue in MA?

my dealership advised against it after he couldn’t find a solid answer. 

Its probably trying to force FE9 federal emissions on it is my guess.  Being MA is one of the 13 Cali emissions states, it might be a problem.  Not sure how that will play out really unless they try to put the order through :dunno:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys. For the guys who know more than the dealerships and all. Small business owner here in California. Do I really need to derate the truck to 10000 or else I need to get dot # and what about cdl? Does this actually come up in real life? I’m not even really going to be towing certainly not big things. I want the muscle and 3/4 for lumber loads etc for my construction company. What’s the truth about what I need to consider here?

9 hours ago, Kfroese said:

Ok guys. For the guys who know more than the dealerships and all. Small business owner here in California. Do I really need to derate the truck to 10000 or else I need to get dot # and what about cdl? Does this actually come up in real life? I’m not even really going to be towing certainly not big things. I want the muscle and 3/4 for lumber loads etc for my construction company. What’s the truth about what I need to consider here?

DOT certified inspector here, not a police officer, i own an OTR trucking company and personally do annual inspections on semi trucks and trailers to ensure they are road worthy.    If a pickup and trailer in combo has a GCWR over 26,000 you technically need a CDL and dot#'s IF AND ONLY IF ITS FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES. If its personal use i am nearly certain NO state requires anything special, its when it falls under business use that it becomes an issue. 

• Like 1