2500 HD - 10,650 lbs. GVWR?

The 2021 2500HD  crew cab, standard bed, diesel has two different GVWR. 10k w/ 11,530 trailering and 11,350 GVWR w/ 18,500  trailering. I was told by a dealer that they are identical suspensions, frames, axels, gears etc. between the two and they actually could carry and pull the same load safely. The 10K GVWR  rating are manipulated to meet certain requirements.  True or false?

20 hours ago, Horsing Around said:

The 2021 2500HD  crew cab, standard bed, diesel has two different GVWR. 10k w/ 11,530 trailering and 11,350 GVWR w/ 18,500  trailering. I was told by a dealer that they are identical suspensions, frames, axels, gears etc. between the two and they actually could carry and pull the same load safely. The 10K GVWR  rating are manipulated to meet certain requirements.  True or false?

If you order it with the 10k package (option) it is a sticker change on the 2500 for the govt bs.  Same truck.

Ford and dodge also offer a 10k or 9900# 'sticker'.

• Like 1

Over 10,000 gvwr makes it a class 3 truck, over 14,000 is class 4.

So 10,000 is like a halfton.  Makes a big difference in regs and insurance if business use.

Private use is determined by state, example california is 11,400 max till you need to meet further regs and some states require different plates if you are over 10,000.  Some states require license endorsements if over a certain GVWR or GCWR.

If you are over 10,000 and commercial (even if you never haul anything) then you need to abide by Federal Commercial Motor Vehicle regulations.  Also a lot of gooseneck trailers are rated for 15,900 and you will need a CDL if your truck puts you over 26,000 combined.

I am use to Fords and you can get all the SRW trucks in 10,000.

Edited by Joe T

On 2/26/2020 at 10:23 AM, Dan Forsythe said:

DOT certified inspector here, not a police officer, i own an OTR trucking company and personally do annual inspections on semi trucks and trailers to ensure they are road worthy.    If a pickup and trailer in combo has a GCWR over 26,000 you technically need a CDL and dot#'s IF AND ONLY IF ITS FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES. If its personal use i am nearly certain NO state requires anything special, its when it falls under business use that it becomes an issue. 

In PA. pickup and trailer in combo that has a GCWR over 26,001 you are required to have a NON COMMERICAL Class A drivers license, this also gives you class B endorsement for motor homes. Its a real simple driving test, no written test required.

12 minutes ago, Horsing Around said:

Thanks everyone for clarifying the 10K / 10K+ GVWR is only a paper change, not a mechanical change. Being well within the load limits to safely pull family & horses is the reason for my concern. 

They are going to judge you by other safety factors such as tires and GAWR.  As long as you aren’t over your total combined GVWRs.

• 2 months later...
On 12/19/2020 at 8:30 PM, MTU Alum said:

10k vs 10+ are the same suspension.  The 10k keeps you from being a commercial motor vehicle if you it for business and don't tow anything.  If you had to tow a trailer for business, then there is no advantage of 10k package.  (Canada the package is 9900).

#iworkforGM 

So even though the max payload says 2850 it's actually 3600 or more?

Because conventional towing say 14,500 and gooseneck 16,600 

35 minutes ago, MacLaren said:

So even though the max payload says 2850 it's actually 3600 or more?

Because conventional towing say 14,500 and gooseneck 16,600 

Technically yes.  On paper no. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

So not to beat a dead horse, but to be abundantly clear:  If I go to GMC build site and select AT4 2500 Duramax.  And I build one with the 10,000 GVWR option and on with the 11,350 option, and have them both delivered, I will receive two identical trucks, springs, suspension et al.  But one will have lower stickered weight ratings for regulatory purposes only!?

Edited by Sheen

5 hours ago, Sheen said:

So not to beat a dead horse, but to be abundantly clear:  If I go to GMC build site and select AT4 2500 Duramax.  And I build one with the 10,000 GVWR option and on with the 11,350 option, and have them both delivered, I will receive two identical trucks, springs, suspension et al.  But one will have lower stickered weight ratings for regulatory purposes only!?

Yes.  It keeps the truck as class 2 so if you use it for a business and not pull a trailer it's not a commercial motor vehicle.  It also keeps diesels at 26k gcw for crew cabs.  This keeps it out of being a CDL.

#iworkforGM 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I owned a 2020 2500 HD and had no issue with registration in cali...was same as my half ton...seriously doubt you need a CDL for this unless commercial use....

I never got any letters stating anything to that effect.....FWIW

• 9 months later...

DOT isn't the only trigger for vehicles with a GVWR over 10,000lbs.  If your vehicle has a GVWR over 10,000lbs, the locations where it is stored or serviced have additional fire-protection requirements - you will need to have that vehicle stored and repaired at a location meant for Commercial Vehicles rather than simply personal trucks and cars.  Sprinkler system requirements for those places kick in quite early, so it's a more expensive place to run and therefore to do business with.  You need to ask yourself: do you NEED a vehicle with over 10,000 gross vehicle weight capacity or not?  If not - don't buy one that robust, either new or used.