CAUTION: leveling blocks underneath the strut MAY do this!!!

Hey everyone. So I had the 1.5 inch leveling blocks installed underneath the struts on my TrailBoss. After 3 weeks and 1200 miles the ball joint boots were torn. My ride was the same and unaffected, but still. The angle of the ball joints were not good post-level. 

This caused me to purchase new UCAs. I went with ready lift and got their plus 2 kit. Overall I’m happy now because the UCAs fix the ball joint angle. Now the ball joint sits straight, and allows for more lift. With the plus 2 kit I’m getting a total of 4inches in front, and 3 in the rear which gives me a half inch rake still. Not bad, half inch isn’t bad at all. See the attached pics and just be cautious when adding leveling blocks to the trailboss. 

FBACB822-1BA6-4C82-856D-CDB4F75E0506.jpeg

CD8BADA8-1928-41B1-9679-B5E4D6704250.jpeg

1861F0D1-ABD0-44D8-BF1B-CCE20CDF5787.jpeg

Edited by Marv’s Trailboss 19
Typos
  • Like 3

I'd assume this only affects trail boss suspension systems since they already have a lift from factory? Probably too much stress on the already lifted components. Motofab offers a more traditional 1.5" spacer lift for Trail Boss suspensions instead of blocks.

26 minutes ago, badwolf said:

I'd assume this only affects trail boss suspension systems since they already have a lift from factory? Probably too much stress on the already lifted components. Motofab offers a more traditional 1.5" spacer lift for Trail Boss suspensions instead of blocks.

can you explain the difference of spacers vs blocks? I think you answered the issue, with the problem.

Motofab only has one 1.5" kit for the trailboss and its the lower strut spacer.

13 minutes ago, tanner709 said:

can you explain the difference of spacers vs blocks? I think you answered the issue, with the problem.

Motofab only has one 1.5" kit for the trailboss and its the lower strut spacer.

I apologize, I meant Rough Country. They offer a spacer kit designed for the Trail Boss. The spacer lift fits on top of the front coil springs, whereas the block is bolted below the strut. Same result, but in a different way. Seeing as the trail boss already comes from factory with a lift, I would not recommend the block method. Ultimately the best way to achieve a leveled lift is with front height adjustable shocks, like Bilstein 5100s. But they are not available yet...

here is the link to the rough country 1.5" trail boss kit:
https://www.roughcountry.com/gmc-leveling-lift-kit-1319.html?find=2019-chevy-silverado-1500-4wd-381258

22 minutes ago, badwolf said:

I apologize, I meant Rough Country. They offer a spacer kit designed for the Trail Boss. The spacer lift fits on top of the front coil springs, whereas the block is bolted below the strut. Same result, but in a different way. Seeing as the trail boss already comes from factory with a lift, I would not recommend the block method. Ultimately the best way to achieve a leveled lift is with front height adjustable shocks, like Bilstein 5100s. But they are not available yet...

https://www.roughcountry.com/gmc-leveling-lift-kit-1319.html?find=2019-chevy-silverado-1500-4wd-381258

No matter which way you slice it if you move the wheel further from where the UCA is mounted you are going to increase angles.

Edited by Sjordan
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, badwolf said:

Yeah but either way you alter the UCA and balljoint angle. There is no gain in top hat vs lower spacer, with regards to this issue.

5 minutes ago, Sjordan said:

No matter which way you slice it if you move the wheel further from where the UCA arm is mounted you are going to increase angles.

100%.

Either way, it wouldn't hurt to get new upper control arms because this way you ensure that your angles aren't maxed out whether at full droop or compression. It's piece of mind for me. Just be cautious with any leveling kit that doesn't include UCAs. Check the ball joint from time to time. 

1 hour ago, badwolf said:

Any idea when the 5100s will be available?