Blew 6.2, gm denying warranty

Blew the 6.2 in my sierra, dealer claims i ran it low on oil. They claim they drained only 4 qts of oil and shavings, yet the low oil light never came on, check engine light never came on until after a bunch of smoke came out the exhaust. They denied warranty work and are wanting $10k to replace the engine. Has anybody ever been in a similar situation? Does the ecu log check engine lights/low oil pressure warnings? Can i fight it based on the fact that no light ever came on? Thanks for the help.

There would be a a history log in the computer even if the light on the dash did light.
Unfortunately the statement the light isn't on isn't enough to give warranty as it is ultimately the responsibility of the driver to assure maintenance is kept up. Best you can do at this point is request all history log print out. And just buy a engine and install yourself or have local shop do it.
I have seen just yesterday 5.3 with trans and harness for $1700 and a 6.2 with trans for 3k.
But save that bad engine it is worth more parted out. 600-1000 on heads. Injectors and pump 250. Intake 80, block 500+. But if it was me have it taken apart and see what broke. I mean I can easily guess with low oil but still I would want to know.
Oh where did all that oil go?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Blew the 6.2 in my sierra, dealer claims i ran it low on oil. They claim they drained only 4 qts of oil and shavings, yet the low oil light never came on, check engine light never came on until after a bunch of smoke came out the exhaust. They denied warranty work and are wanting $10k to replace the engine. Has anybody ever been in a similar situation? Does the ecu log check engine lights/low oil pressure warnings? Can i fight it based on the fact that no light ever came on? Thanks for the help.

I know this isn’t going to help much but I’ve seen these type of failures due to low oil levels and do you think it’s been burning off oil, what are your Oil Change intervals and if you’re doing longer intervals, could this have been prevented checking your oil level once a week?

Sent from Above

probably incorrectly installed a catch can, sucked the oil out the motor?

this is a common issue on bmw v8's with built in oem catch cans, the lines crack, let air in and the oil gets sucked in to the manifold. 50 miles later no go!

Edited by flyingfool
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

It wasn't amsoil so you know.....it the oil committed suicide....[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Lol, just wonder if it burned off that fast there must have been a reason and we all don’t know anything of how OP’s vehicle was really setup so as of now, it’s pin the tail on the donkey!

Catch cans make me nervous as it is, this is another reason added

Sent from Above

1 hour ago, hectik said:

At what point is the light supposed to come on?  Why would you wait for such a light and not check the oil regularly?  You say the engine blew, did it literally grenade and blow a hole in the block?  If so, then one can reasonably assume that's where at least some of the oil went!

What kind of oil did you use, what kind of fuel did you run in it?  

• Like 2

You would think if oil that low the oil pressure guage would show low at idle  assuming op looks at the guage  Hard to believe  6.2 would be that low on oil from a leak or oil burning that driver would not notice 

more to this story for sure

My $.02, buddy has a BMW, Sierra and Duramax. He OKAY ?. Get yo'self a Nelson or Morris engine. They make some crazy shiat.  Go HAM BRUH..

Also, what Year is the Sierra? Milage? And any answer from the litany of questions above would help any of us offer better suggestions. 

He’s also been a member since 2013 and this is OP’s first and only post.

Sent from Above

Your rite. The truck is prob around a 2013 since that was when they became a member. Truck is probably out of warranty. That’s why they won’t cover it. OP needs to give more accurate info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Your rite. The truck is prob around a 2013 since that was when they became a member. Truck is probably out of warranty. That’s why they won’t cover it. OP needs to give more accurate info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo! Or older.....

Sent from Above