Frame plugs

Those are the ones nobody makes! You can find the large round and the long rectangle on ebay and Amazon pretty cheap. You should go into business selling these now!

26 minutes ago, GETGONE said:

Those are the ones nobody makes! You can find the large round and the long rectangle on ebay and Amazon pretty cheap. You should go into business selling these now!

🙂

I think they will work pretty well. nice tight press fit. had to use a rubber mallet to tap them into place. I really should have cleaned them before taking the picture lol.

I'd be glad to print up some of them and sell them to anyone interested. I probably wouldn't be able to match the prices of the things on amazon though, mass production and all. It takes about 2 hours each to print but I'm pretty happy with the results. If there's enough interest I'd be willing to do that. say $5 a piece, 10 for the pair, plus whatever it costs to ship which shouldn't be too much, they're small and quite light.

I made them with ABS so they should be plenty durable. one thing I don't know is if its possible to remove the plug without breaking it, quite a tight fit. I want to take mine back out and flush the tube with water to clean out whatever might be in there. let it dry then reinstall. But I doubt removal would be necessary once installed.

• Like 1

Since you got me curious I gave it a shot, they are definitely a tight fit, exactly as I wanted. but it came back out without much difficulty. just had to pry against the outer rim. It also reassured me that once installed, its not going anywhere. But it came out in one piece and is totally reusable. I could also easily make a few adjustments to the design to make them stronger. the way the layer lines are, since there's only one reasonable way to print this thing, It just made me worried it might try to separate when pulled out. but...it wasn't a problem. The plug is quite strong in every other direction.

6 hours ago, kodiakdenali said:

Updated design for additional strength to make sure its removable for maintenance.

1373577636_Revision2.thumb.jpg.bfe24483398378c886fca9adb5a22d40.jpg

Great job! I'll take a set if you make them.

45 minutes ago, 3point0 said:

Great job! I'll take a set if you make them.

1 hour ago, Bikerjon said:

Great job. I would like to get a set also!

Absolutely! I have another pair hot off the printer and could make another set or two tomorrow. Looks like $15 shipped is a fair price. Message me directly and we can set it up, I can do paypal. I can have them shipped tomorrow.

• Like 1

It's been a lot of fun designing and using the 3D Printer for projects on my truck. If any of you are interested in some of my other adventures I also enjoy producing videos of the projects on my DIY/projects channel: kodiak timbercraft. I got my Denali not long after I started making videos so most of the projects on there are truck projects. The channel is very small so if you find it interesting I'd really appreciate subscribers! I've posted about some of the projects here but not every one. And I've got another one in progress right now at the prototyping phase, loving it so far! I'll get that one up in a couple weeks or so.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrGovK8lzFGtKn2Z7L2W7nw

A few of the projects:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I made one more small adjustment, adding an indicator of which side is the "top" since the square cross member is not perfectly square, one dimension is about 1/8" wider than the other. So its important to make sure the plug fits into the hole correctly before pushing it into place. it should be pretty obvious, it will fit one direction, if it doesn't rotate 90 degrees and it should fit. Remember is a pretty tight fit by design to make sure they won't fall out. a rubber mallet works great to tap them into place.

I have my printer churning out a couple sets, who else would like to plug those frame holes?!?